Chainsaw Damascus Classic Bowie

I forged this one out of 5 Oregon Brand chainsaw chains. I know a local fellow who owns a sharpening shop and saves the worn out stuff for me.

I welded the billet using anhydrous borax and the press....gave the billet a good hammering on the first draw, then folded once. I forged the tang in place after the final draw.

The resulting blade is a "classic" 9.5" long with a chainsaw guard from the same billet. The handle is Sambar and the buttcap is wrought iron courtesy of Bruce Evans and a salvaged wagon wheel. The handle pin is 01 drill rod.

Here are some pics of the knife....and a closeup of the pattern.

chain1.jpg

chain3.jpg

chain2.jpg

Greg,

See you"ve been busy since I left your shop last week. Lookin' Goooood!! Mac liked the 'Hawk, but thought the spike a little long. Pete Kautz loved the whole package. Be in TN this weekend - get together next week?

What can I say...I love it!
I think chain saw Damascus is the top of the heap as far as natural patterns go.

Dale

Great knife, great pics! thanks for the inspiration. I have a long chain from a garage door opener,,,,,,, what'ya think? that oughta work too right?

PJG

Certainly one of the most impressive bowies I have seen in recent years. :) :)

I want a Greg Covington knife! Just saw this and handled one of Gregs blades at David Browns place today. Keep up the good work and one day my wish will be fulfilled.

I love it, Greg. You make some of the most effective Bagwellian bowies around. That chainsaw is subtle yet impressive. Bill Bagwell himself might regard this as the minimum size for a combat bowie, according to his book !! ;) :D Jason.

Terrific-looking bowie. Nice blade shape, cool pattern, nice fittings (as with Keith, I really lie the guard) and a great piee of stag. Yep, that about covers it. :D

Roger

Back