Challenge knife...Aftermath

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So I just returned last night from Ethan Beckers house in Tennessee for my 3rd gathering. What a awesome time I had. Mr Beckers hospitality is second to none to say the least. This time my favorite goings on was the knifemaker challenge. Which I submitted a blade for. 16 knives showed up from all across the U.S. and Canada that was collectively valued at over 11 grand worth of knives that people sent off to be put to the test. My entry seemed to have passed and also seemed to be liked by the testers who had used it. Each knife was givin a number and graded on a scale of 1-5 in several different catagories. The winner has yet to be determined as the votes and scores are still being tallied. Unfortunately, 3 knives suffered catastrophic failure and did not finish the challenge. My heart bled for these makers because I understand the work that was put into them. All of the knives where a thing of beauty, and to be among them and to be able to admire firsthand knives from makers I have respected for a long time was indeed a honor. Here is my entry fresh from the fight.

2013-05-06165731_zps01475bbe.jpg
2013-05-06165441_zpsb5ba6bad.jpg
2013-05-06165719_zps00616b31.jpg

Other than a few battle scars left from the wood and bambo that it was cutting and chopping the blade looks good. A little buff job and it will look like new.
2013-05-06165418_zpsaa312696.jpg
2013-05-06165351_zps6b135bc8.jpg

Its a little duller but still cuts well and has no edge damage.
2013-05-06165602_zpsfdcc988c.jpg

There was not separation of the handle material due to the battoning that it was subjected to.
2013-05-06165502_zps836dc8be.jpg
2013-05-06165515_zps4cf33f33.jpg

Having said that, let it be known that none of these knives where battoned without the makers permission. I told the testers to beat this knife like it owes you money. If it broke, then I need to do something different in my mind. I believe that things can be learned in the face of failure. Fortunately, fate decided I didn't need to learn a lesson on this day. What a great day it was. Great knives, great maker, great friends. Thanks for the opprotunity to take part.

Last edited:
That edge looks pristine. Knowing that other knives failed and to see yours with just some stains is a great testament to its quality. Well done!

Last edited:
That Yuma II rocks man! And it was sporting my lucky number to boot! :)

Todd that better officially be your personal Yuma now ..lol since they keep getting sold off your belt.

That edge looks pristine. Knowing that other knifes failed and to see yours with just some stains is a great testament to its quality. Well done!

No doubt that Mr. Hunt produces some outstanding blades. The knives that "failed" the challenge did not "fail" from a lack of quality, they were all very high quality

blades. The "failures" were a problem of blade geometry vs. specific task, as they all had an issue with the same

task, the edges were simply too thin/hard for this specific task but would be great for other tasks, as they excelled at the other tasks in the challenge.

Just wanted to make it clear that these issues were not due to any lack of quality, they were all quality blades from quality makers.

And that knife by Mr. Hunt is a fine piece indeed.

You are very correct Dave. Every knife in the challenge was a fine piece of craftsmanship. There was no junk among them. There were some that had the challenge been geared a little differently, the outcome (which is still undetermined) would be totally different. I feel very fortunate to have been able to handle these knives firsthand. The amout of work, pride, and skill that went into each one was definately inspiring. Yours included sir.

You are very correct Dave. Every knife in the challenge was a fine piece of craftsmanship. There was no junk among them. There were some that had the challenge been geared a little differently, the outcome (which is still undetermined) would be totally different. I feel very fortunate to have been able to handle these knives firsthand. The amout of work, pride, and skill that went into each one was definately inspiring. Yours included sir.

No doubt that Mr. Hunt produces some outstanding blades. The knives that "failed" the challenge did not "fail" from a lack of quality, they were all very high quality

blades. The "failures" were a problem of blade geometry vs. specific task, as they all had an issue with the same

task, the edges were simply too thin/hard for this specific task but would be great for other tasks, as they excelled at the other tasks in the challenge.

Just wanted to make it clear that these issues were not due to any lack of quality, they were all quality blades from quality makers.

And that knife by Mr. Hunt is a fine piece indeed.

2 of the 3 knives that failed were designed with cutting & slicing in mind and so had been brought up to a 63-64 RC hardness. The only true failure was communication -- they misunderstood the parameters of the testing.
After putting all of the knives in the challenge through their paces, I would have no qualms about owning a knife made by any of the entrants.

Todd, your work is inspiring. You have a unique style and everything looks so well put together. I hope to get to your level someday and I will be really surprised if you arent the winner. I wish I was there to handle it and get some pointers. Great work my man!

Todd, your work is inspiring. You have a unique style and everything looks so well put together. I hope to get to your level someday and I will be really surprised if you arent the winner. I wish I was there to handle it and get some pointers. Great work my man!

That's very kind of you Chris. But I don't put my skills above yours or your buddy Tacketts. I've seen both of your work. Don't strive for my level, because you'd only be limiting yourselves. You guys can do better than that. Was bummed you didn't make it.

Great knife man! Seemed to have worked wonders at the challenge. Great job!!

It doesn't surprise me that the Tradewater would stand up to use, duh that's what it's designed for. What did surprise me was that it held up to the Beckerheads. It also surprised me that Todd actually made it home with this one!

Great write-up Todd. Totally agree with you about the staggering quality of all the knives submitted for the chalenge. That said, I was incredibly impressed with the Tradewater. Fit and finish were outstanding and the weight and overall balance was just as impressive. At first glance I was somewhat unsure that the larger dimensions would deliver similar performance to the smaller Yuma, but after using the larger Tradewater all my concerns were laid to rest. This is a brilliant knife that anyone would be proud to own. Nice work.

I offered Tyrone $500 for the Trade but he snubbed me..... :(

I remember you offering me something, but it wasnt $500. bucks. how many times do I have to tell you I dont swing that way............Sicko! :D

Congratulations on the testing, I hope to one day own one of your fine knives . Question is which one.

Back