Changing EDC for work.

Today is the day I've been putting off for about 6 months. For ten years I have carried a slip-joint plier (Schrade ST5E or Craftsman-Pro) multi-tool. Sears gave up on the tool a few years back, and we all know that Schrade has gone by the wayside. My Craftsman-Pro is nearly in a wheel chair and I decided some time ago that I'd better go with a new tool.
For about a year I've carried a Leatherman Pulse to supplement my ailing slip-joint and I carry an older Wave on my days off, so I decided to stick with Leatherman. Today I picked up the "newer" Wave which I will start carrying by itself at work tomorrow. I don't think I'll miss the slip-joints nearly as much as I've made myself believe.
Just as an initial evaluation of the Wave...it's heavier and feels more durable than my older model. The pliers are heftier at the pivot point as well so they should be able to handle alot more pressure. All implements lock which is a real plus in my book.My only concern is the screwdivers which pop in and out of sockets...I hope I don't lose them somewhere.
In the coming days, if I succeed or fail with my decision to go with the Wave at work, I'll repost ;)

make sure you get the bit kit for the wave. You get a whole lot of extra bits that add tons of utility to the tool.

J.

I was looking on the website briefly for the bit kit...is it the same as the adapter kit? :confused: I have the tool adapter and even bought torx bits to supplement the ones in the case. This is probably just a personal thing on my part, but I can't deal with the adapter :(

Hey,thanks for that link JohnJ80, those are certainly a better idea than the tool adapter which I don't care for. All I need is room for the bits on my belt ;)

Matches said:
All I need is room for the bits on my belt ;)

I think if you look carefully at the included sheath, you will find an elastic pocket at the back inside. I know there is one on the Charge sheath. You can put the bit holder in there.

I took the bit kit and filled the carrier with the bit I needed - really don't need the others. That is a pretty compact but useful set up. With the interchangeable bits, you get a lot of functionality with the Wave/Charge. However, without them, those multitools are less effective than, say, the old Wave or a Swisstool.

IIRC, the new Wave does not come with a bit holder like the Charges do (8 or so bits with 4 empty spots). So this will be a major functionality enhancement to your Wave.

J.

I did notice the elastic in the sheath. I'm still learning about the new Wave. I just realized the scissors are much smaller than the original, but I don't see that as a fault. It only took me 15 minutes to find and deploy the lanyard ring :rolleyes: All in all, I really like the tool :) Thanks again for your help in clarifying the bits :cool:

Back