ChargeTi Modification

Dear BF Members: I am new to BF and this is my first thread, so please bear with me. I am 17 and I have already owned 4 Leathermans. I love them. They are great tools. I purchased a LM Chagre Ti about 2 months ago and I love it. The only complaint that I have is the eye glass screwdrive. I don't think that I am ever going to use this. If I was going to work something small enough to require a screwdrive of such a size, I certainly don't want 8.4 ounces of counterweight on the other side. In addition to that, there are bits that fit in the bit driver small enough to complete such a task. I think it would be great to add another bit drive to the unit. I am aware that the XTi has 2 bit drivers(I prefer 4 screwdriver choices to 2), but it is without scissors. (The origional reason I purchased the Ti over the XTi) I am also aware that altering a LM wil void the warranty, but I believe that it is a justified sacarfice if the end result is a perfect tool. I was able to find the thread that had the link to purchase the necessary torx bits, but even if I got the unit apart, there is no place to purchase a bit driver. If I purchase a XTi, there is no place to buy scissors, to put in place of it's mini screwdriver (I checked the size...just about perfect). I am even willing to buy an XTi in addition to the Ti to combine the tools and have a few extra parts lying around, but I am still uncertain about the task of switching the units. I still don't understand why the decided to include such a utilty, but then again, I don't work at LM. I scanned the forums and couldn't find anyone who had disassembeled the unit and lived to tell the tale. If anyone has any information on where I could buy the torx bit without a background check, parts (bit driver or scissors) or just on how to go about doing this...it would be GREATLY appreciated. My ultimate goal is to have a bottle/can opener, two bit drivers, and scissors. What I have to do to achieve this is not a concern. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help. Sincerely- Bill :)

Billbeme said:
Dear BF Members: I am new to BF and this is my first thread, so please bear with me. I am 17 and I have already owned 4 Leathermans. I love them. They are great tools. I purchased a LM Chagre Ti about 2 months ago and I love it. The only complaint that I have is the eye glass screwdrive. I don't think that I am ever going to use this. If I was going to work something small enough to require a screwdrive of such a size, I certainly don't want 8.4 ounces of counterweight on the other side. In addition to that, there are bits that fit in the bit driver small enough to complete such a task. I think it would be great to add another bit drive to the unit. I am aware that the XTi has 2 bit drivers(I prefer 4 screwdriver choices to 2), but it is without scissors. (The origional reason I purchased the Ti over the XTi) I am also aware that altering a LM wil void the warranty, but I believe that it is a justified sacarfice if the end result is a perfect tool. I was able to find the thread that had the link to purchase the necessary torx bits, but even if I got the unit apart, there is no place to purchase a bit driver. If I purchase a XTi, there is no place to buy scissors, to put in place of it's mini screwdriver (I checked the size...just about perfect). I am even willing to buy an XTi in addition to the Ti to combine the tools and have a few extra parts lying around, but I am still uncertain about the task of switching the units. I still don't understand why the decided to include such a utilty, but then again, I don't work at LM. I scanned the forums and couldn't find anyone who had disassembeled the unit and lived to tell the tale. If anyone has any information on where I could buy the torx bit without a background check, parts (bit driver or scissors) or just on how to go about doing this...it would be GREATLY appreciated. My ultimate goal is to have a bottle/can opener, two bit drivers, and scissors. What I have to do to achieve this is not a concern. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help. Sincerely- Bill :)
Welcome aboard.I know what you mean about the small screwdriver.In fact that has been one of the biggest gripes that I have seen about the Charge.I've wondered why LM didn't find a way to nest that screwdriver in the handle like SAKs do with toothpicks and tweezers.Who knows maybe on the Charge 2.0 Tarmacky

Bill, there was a post showing how to get the special bit from snap-on.
I am still working on another way but if it works I will post on it.

3 out of 4 of my family wears glasses. The small screwdrivers are a very good thing to have especially when camping,fishing, ect.

I'm lookin for exactly the same thread but I can't find it let me know if you find out where to buy the 5 point torx plus bits I will buy those too!!!

Tango44

Derf said:
3 out of 4 of my family wears glasses. The small screwdrivers are a very good thing to have especially when camping,fishing, ect.

Maybe the Charge small drivers works on your family's eyeglasses, but not on any of ours. Both ends are much too small. So far, I have found nothing they fit.

Other than that, nice multi-tool. :)

znapschatz said:
Maybe the Charge small drivers works on your family's eyeglasses, but not on any of ours. Both ends are much too small. So far, I have found nothing they fit.

Other than that, nice multi-tool. :)

Same here.
I've just purchased a 2nd. LM Wave because I like the tool so much but...

That useless, space robbing, "eyeglass screwdriver" thing has to go!!! :grumpy:

Hey, how about an awl? ;)

Back