Cheap epoxy alternatives for sealing up paracord wrapped handles

I have been wondering for a hile now what most people use for getting a nice solid "epoxy" (or w/e) clear coat on paracord wrapped handles or even wrapps like hemp, tsukamaki style wraps etc. I know alot of people use west systems for this but is there a less expensive alternative for getting the same effect of a nice looking, clear, solid impervious surface to moisture, for wrapps? Also just out of curiosity what type of west systems epoxy is the best for this, or I guess I should ask which hardener is best for this, as I'm lookin at the usa knifemaker stock of it.. http://usaknifemaker.com/adhesives-c-23.html

They have the pricy west systems $40 resin that is needed to use actually you the stuff, and they have the 207 hardener that is about another $40 they is special clear.. would any of the other hardeners work for this as I read that they're aren't meant for clear coats, but I thinks they are talking about for a different purpose than I am, like for making fiberglass nice and shiney or something. Would the $20 g-flex stuff work just as well? Also..lol sorry for all the Qs.. If west systems is infact the only, or best way to go are there cheaper containers of it with a lesser amount of the epoxy?

Anyway, I am tryin to avoid have to pay $60-80 just to do this so if anybody has any great alternatives that ar less pricey I would really apreciate any suggestions Thanks in advance!

Paul

You can get smaller bottles of West System and System Three clear coat resin. I think the two bottle kit for System Three Clear Coat has an 8oz bottle of resin and a 4oz bottle of hardener. It runs a bit over $30 for the kit, and will do many, many handles. It only take about 1/2oz to do a large handle.

The large cans of West System are actually cheaper than anything else I have found, and will allow you to complete a ton of handles.

I haven't personally used it, but I know James Helm (StormCrow) uses minwax wood hardener to stabilize his paracord handles, and the ones that I've handled felt rock solid, and didn't have the glossed over feel that I've had trouble with myself using epoxy.

Last edited:
Personally I use thin CA glue. I find that it hardens the paracord into one solid object by still leaves the texture and look of the cord more natural. Time will tell how it holds up but so far it has held up extremely well. Been using a knife with that type of handle at work for about 4 months now and it gets snapped in and out of its kydex sheath probably 30 or more times some days. So far there is no visible wear or fraying

Pine pitch. I think Tai Goo uses Pinyon Pine for a variety of applications on his knives.

Last edited:
Just use any acrylic varnish/sealer. you can get it at any hobby or art store. high gloss or matt. It's waterproof flexable, and cheap. Any hardware store varnish will also work, though it take longer to dry.

The West System 207 special clear hardener and basic West resin is hard to beat. Assuming you mixed it correctly, it cures crystal clear with no tint or cloudiness. Great stuff - I use it for most of my epoxy work on knives.

TedP

Back