Cheap Gerber MT

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Well dang! Just started collecting Leatherman MT by accident really and saw the Gerber Suspension NXT and at the price i figured i might grab one.
But needed to do some research as i suspected the low price $25-$29 was too good to be true.
Yep “MADE IN CHINA”
Also at least Leatherman states the type of steel they use (420HC) which i like. Gerber’s is a mystery steel.
Also no belt sheath is a deal killer too.
I could buy one and at that price just throw it in my tool box but kinda been trying to support the USA whenever i can even if it means paying double ie my Leathernan Wingman at $59.

I made the mistake of buying the Gerber Suspension NXT when it was on sale (perhaps also because was in awe of the value I got from the Gerber Strongarm). The NXT is total crap however! It is made with such thin stamped metal for the frame that I can almost bend it directly with my hands! I was planning to throw it in the emergency kit in the car, but it can't be trusted.

I don't like Chinese tools to begin with when I can help it, but in my experience anything made in China with the Gerber name on it is worthless overpriced gas station garbage.

Buying Leatherman is not supporting the "USA". Leatherman's founder has been extremely anti 2nd Amendment for many years. Just like Benchmade. You need to understand that the Chinese are now capable of making high quality tools or poor quality tools - it all depends on how much you want to pay them. Not EVERYTHING made in China is junk. That used to be the case but not today.

Buying Leatherman is not supporting the "USA". Leatherman's founder has been extremely anti 2nd Amendment for many years. Just like Benchmade. You need to understand that the Chinese are now capable of making high quality tools or poor quality tools - it all depends on how much you want to pay them. Not EVERYTHING made in China is junk. That used to be the case but not today.[/QUOTE

I don't like Chinese tools to begin with when I can help it, but in my experience anything made in China with the Gerber name on it is worthless overpriced gas station garbage.

Buying Leatherman products is not anti USA simply because its founder is anti gun. There is a range of opinions on the subject, but I believe that short of actual subversion, we are all free to have our own opinions on any subject. If you believe that Tim Leatherman is unpatriotic, then don't support his business, but also don't accuse him of being anti USA just because his views are different from yours. As for Chinese made products, keep in mind that the money goes to a hostile country, its leaders probably more anti-second amendment than Leatherman. I trade with several U.S. businesses whose social views I don't support, but I don't think any of them are unpatriotic. Live and let live.

Buying Leatherman products is not anti USA simply because its founder is anti gun. There is a range of opinions on the subject, but I believe that short of actual subversion, we are all free to have our own opinions on any subject. If you believe that Tim Leatherman is unpatriotic, then don't support his business, but also don't accuse him of being anti USA just because his views are different from yours. As for Chinese made products, keep in mind that the money goes to a hostile country, its leaders probably more anti-second amendment than Leatherman. I trade with several U.S. businesses whose social views I don't support, but I don't think any of them are unpatriotic. Live and let live.

Back