Cheap Old Timer

Well, it's been really quiet on the Shrade forum lately. This probably should have been posted somewhere else, but the Shrade forum looked so empty... I read a post recently where a fellow forumite was looking for a usable stockman, and found one in the Buck Cadet 303. I agreed with most of what he said about this knife: I have a Buck 301, it's bigger brother, and have found it to be an outstanding knife. However, in describing his search he listed several that didn't make the cut, including a "cheap Old Timer". :eek: Well, I had to look at my 8OT to see just what he was talking about. There is nothing "cheap" about this knife. The fit and finish is very good, it's stout, snaps open and closed crisply, and takes about the best edge of any of my knives. I really feel this is one of my most reliable knives, and it spends more time in my pocket than any other knife, except for my small SAK. I think the Old timer holds an edge longer and gets sharper than the Buck, has better walk and talk, and I like the flat grind better than the hollow grind of the Buck. The hollow grind makes the spey and sheepsfoot seem clunky. The main blade does seem stouter on the Buck, it's neat how the blades fold together when closed (no bend in the sheepsfoot), and I like the black delrin a little better than the brown of the 8OT. I use both in my woodworking, outdoor activities, job, ect... Overall, both knives are very good values, good knives that won't let you down. I just don't think of my Old Timer, or most any Old Timers, as "cheap".

I agree. I've got an OT Bearshead Trapper that I'm real fond of. And yes, it takes a wicked edge.

Me Too!I have a real old Old Timer that is really beat and should be in a Nursing Home:eek: I have a special affection for that knife because it was probably a good value when purchased and I bet it could still do anything a knife should do.

Okay. It's me who called it cheap. And yes, I was in extreme error. I got around to completely reprofiling the blade this week. Your words convinced me to give the Old Timer another try. I used my Diamond Lansky hones to set the edge and sharpen it, then an Arkansas hone to polish it. Last, a stropping from a CRKT cardboard box. The carbon steel is now superbly sharp!!!

I think that both the Buck and Shrade have their strengths and weaknesses. The Buck aesthetics are much greater. I was even able to secure a bone handled Cadet off of Ebay!!! I like a hollow ground clip blade too. I especially love how all three blades on the Buck parallel one another when closed. Oh yah.

On the Shrade side, the Old Timer has a lot more walk and talk. There is no contest on this one. My old Timer opens and closes like a vault!!! Also, I dig the flat ground sheepsfoot blade. I went the extra mile and chisel ground the sheepsfoot. It’s an awesome wood shaver now.

To tell you the truth, I could easily use my Old Timer now, and never look back. That is….. if I never looked at the handle. It’s pretty ugly. I’d die for a carbon steel Old Timer done in bone or wood. That would really finish off an already great package. Those Ducks Unlimited knives should have been carbon steel!!!!

Oh yah. Get this. I only live 1 1/2 hours from Shrade!!! I wonder if they do plant tours. :D

Old Timers are great. I even like the way they look, but if you don't, does it matter?...while you're using it, you can't see the handle anyway.

Walter

Buzzbait,
Maybe if the handles were all brown, without the tan. Or if the tan were a little bit darker... Anyway, I hope you didn't take offense, as none was intended. I was just defending what I have found to be a very good product. I've used Schrade knives for several years now, and found them to be great values. I have several Bucks, some Case, Gerber, and Camillus too, all good knives. But with four sons to buy for, every 5 to 10 dollars I can save per knife adds up pretty quickly (I have to have enough left over for me, too :D ). And, as far as looks go, maybe if Mr. Faust is listening, he could suggest the occasional bone or wood handle for some of the OT's. Even with a higher cost, natural handle materials with 1095 steel would just rock!

Ok you wanted it so here it is a genuine Old Timer in jigged bone. The 2-O.T. jigged bone handles. This is the one before delrin. These were also made in smooth real bone as were the 8-OT models at one time. I thought you might like to see one with the kind of scales you were talking about. Schrade made many models in bone but they were rare in the OT line. This one is the first model old timer it is similar to a couple of other models with flat bottom bolsters. These (the 2-O.T.) were made under the Schrade Walden tang around 1959 (possibly earlier). They were similiar to an earlier model 2213 3/4, under the Schrade Cutlery Co tang. If anyone is really interested I can probably find one of those to take a picture of as well but they are pretty close. Without the old timer being stamped on the bottom bolster of course. I agree these handles are nicer than the present delrin however delrin won't crack or break if you drop it. Still it is an interesting bit of history. I hope you enjoy the picture. Rich
View

Really nice looking knife, Rich! That looks like a model they should bring back. You're right about the durability of delrin. It is nearly indestructable. But so far, I haven't broken the bone scales of my 7 year old Case trapper yet. 'Course, I don't use it as often as I use my Old Timers!

I too think they are great knives at a great price. If not for the handle material, I'd have a bunch of 'em. I only have one Old Timer, an 80T. I couldn't stand looking at that brown plastic so I replaced it with some oak. It is one of my favorite knives now.

Any way, I thought I saw something in a sporting goods dealer magazine (a month or so ago) about a bone handle Old Timer series. The "Classic" series I believe they called it. I assumed that it is a new series. Anyone know anything about these?

Jeff O,
Is it possible to post a photo of your OT with replacement Oak scales?

I also realy like the carbon steel blades in the OT series but cannot stand the plastic scales.

Regards,
FK

Here ya' go. The scans are not the best quality, but you get the idea.
80toak.jpg

Jeff O,

Thanks, the oak looks great, my guess is that you used epoxy only, no pins are visible.

Completly transforms the OT series.

Regards,
FK
BCC #544 Life member

Back