Chef knife suggestion

I'm looking for suggestions on a new chef's knife for a professional kitchen. I love my Sabatier carbon and would like better edge retention. Any suggestions?

consider composite stainless steel knife, some can also contain high carbon element on their core layer

check out harukaze in super blue with a stainless cladding.

I looked at the J-knives but I don't care for the drop point they all seem to have. Are there any US makers or European that have an upgraded steel with the Sabatier French profile?

I do have a heat treated and ready to go blade in W2 steel, just waiting for a customer to select a handle material. It is in the shape of a "tall" sabateir. Send me an email if your interested. tim@blackstoneknife.com

heres one i call my "smashmouth" model. w2 steel, 1/8" thick with my signature handle construction. its 99% done as you can see, just applying a durable patina and still need to build a saya. the edge geomtry is nice gentle convex to almost zero at the edge and its got a full distal taper. the tip will ghost right through produce
FrVdM6x.jpg
F5wtzRA.jpg

deleted. wrong section.
Sorry all.

Last edited:
Most if not all French or German knives use some variant of Krupp 4116 which, while an excellent steel for the purpose is not high on edge retention. In fact the lower HRC causes rolling which requires frequent strokes on a rod. If edge retention is what you are after, look to a Japanese knife that uses a powder steel like R2(SG2) or SRS15. These knives are usually around 62 HRC and will hold a sharpened edge for a very long time.

Yaxell Dragon Fire's use of BD1N is excellent in my opinion. I have the Asian Chef's Knife and love it! Might be a bit too much drop in the point for your tastes though. The standard Yaxell Dragon line as a somewhat more traditional chef's knife. Anyway, might be worth a look.

If I go a J knife, how does the Yaxell compare to the Tojiro or similar priced knives? Am I getting a better knife for the money?

I like Victorinox, 10" Chef and prefer the stamped blade to the forged. They are nicely tapered to the edge and easy to sharpen. I use a smooth steel and use it every time I pick up a knife.

If I go a J knife, how does the Yaxell compare to the Tojiro or similar priced knives? Am I getting a better knife for the money?

I don't have anything from Tojiro but they are generally considered more of a workhorse type brand. My experience with Yaxell is only with the Dragon Fire line but the fit and finish and overall execution of their products is excellent. The spine is rounded better than any Wusthof I've handled (and I like Wusthof) and the seems are very tight and smooth. Yaxell is an old company just not as well known in the states.

The BD1N is very nice. It sharpens easily but retains the edge longer and so far has been plenty tough in my uses.

Here is a comparison pic I did for another thread. The Yaxell is at the top and third down is an 8" Wusthof Gormet chef's knife. The Gourmet has the exact same blade profile as the Classic and Ikon lines.
IMG_20180927_165701233_zpsapjvqmmq.jpg

The tip drop seems to be the problem with the Jknives to me. Wondering if I got a Sabatier carbon and had it cryo dipped and re handled if that would work. Anyone ever tied it?

J-knives with a tip/profile like the French/German knives but using high speed powder steel would mean look at the Kai Shun series.

Back