Chekov's Earworm

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy!

Just completed this little knife from .15" AEB-L and lightning strike carbon fiber.

Call it what you will, but to me it's kind of a fantasy knife, and if I'm being a little arrogant then I'll admit that I do think of it as an Art knife.

The shape of this knife, and the materials involved, were inspired by the movie; Star Trek; The Wrath of Khan. If you're around 50 years old, the scene with Pavel Chekov and the Ceti eel might have stuck with you, as it did me.

ujhyG9u.jpg

oeSxzVA.jpg

There is another element here, slightly more timely, regarding Russia's strongman and his hold over the country. Having co opted all media and by controlling the state narrative through iron fisted propaganda, he's essentially been able to assert a kind of 'mind control' over enough of his people to have gotten away with annexing free countries, particularly Ukraine. In the same way that the Ceti eel controls the mind of its host before ultimately killing it, Putin has done so with his country and it's yet to be seen if we'll be able to draw a similar metaphor as this situation reaches its conclusion some time in the future. At this point, it's worth pointing out that Gene Roddenberry was influenced by the Russian magazine, Pravda, to include a Russia character in the second season of Star Trek in 1967. The Chekov character was modelled after swoon worthy musicians of the day, which also builds some parallels, in my mind at least, with the ongoing situation that Russia finds itself in.

Anyway, enough of that! Here's some pictures;

EwOq1zi.jpg

9nPRYqW.jpg

dIUACch.jpg

jok2wFW.jpg

3muAbOZ.jpg

j8FkitK.jpg

ZI6BzYS.jpg

hj9vFMo.jpg

HHJU4x3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That knife looks awesome. It may be a ‘fantasy’ or ‘art’ knife, but it looks like a great self-defense knife with an amazingly stabby (once again) blade, and a handle shape that allows for gripping in any position/style. The lines of the blade into the scales make it look as if it is moving. Really nice!

Cool knife, and that movie and specifically that part Did leave a lasting memory
.....but idk who's government you were addressing with that political statement?
Yours, mine, or the others..... 😂😂😂

"Having co opted all media and by controlling the state narrative through iron fisted propaganda, he's essentially been able to assert a kind of 'mind control' over enough of his people to have gotten away with annexing free countries,"

we got it pretty good in North America, relative to so many other places...

we got it pretty good in North America, relative to so many other places...
Talking to a friend in Australia.....
Boy, did they get it bad. :(
That would of Never gone over Here.

Putin invaded Australia?

Back