Cherokee Rose!!

I was surprised to find a huge triangular priority mail package waiting on top of the mail box the other day. Inside was a Bura made Cherokee Rose.

Impressions:

Sheath: VERY nice brown leather well made and designed with a snap closure type keeper over the handle with an extra long flap that's easy to grab and unsnap, in a snap, if you will:) Steel Chape set off nicely by light colored whitish thread stiching. A real beauty of a sheath!

Handle: Big and comfortable! Nice dark grained rosewood (I think) extremely well designed and allows for forward grip for maneuvering or rear grip for chopping.
Came with a crack in the handle that Uncle Bill told me occurred during shipping. Should be fine with some super glue or bondini.

Blade: Holy crap! This is one big blade. 13" overall, with a 5" back edge that is convex edged like the main edge! Bura hiccupped a bit on the edge forging or maybe grinding as in 2 places the edge wasn't fully shaped into a sharp edge profile and was pretty much flat. Uncle Bill treated this one like a blem and made things right as you'd expect. I think I will be able to grind the edge back with a whetstone though my skills in this area are pretty terrible:eek: We'll see.. Other than that its an impressive looking blade!! Seems to be nice and hard too as my diamond file slides pretty well over most of the edge the whole length! Don't know if that's what Yvsa wanted for hardening but it seems like a good idea to me:)

Balance: about 3" in front of guard though it doesn't feel as forward heavy as a khuk would due in part to the excellent handle IMO. It weighs in at 1lb 11.8 oz so its a handful. But at 1.35oz/inch its pretty quick in the hand for such a large blade.

The tip thickness problem seems to have been fixed in my CR. I don't have calipers but the tip seems plenty thick and sturdy. I won't be cutting anything with this most likely (well except an unlucky prowler or 2;))

So if you want a bowie that makes people take a step back while they say "HOLY SH*T" then take a step back closer to see what you're holding, this might be the bowie for you. I like it also because I'm lucky enough to call the designer a friend and Uncle:)

Thanks for report from the field. I've noticed that Bura has been doing a few strange things as of late and I have to wonder if the tumor is the culprit.

a winner, Rob! Pics?

I'm going to be buying a digital camera in the very near future (for work of course;)) and I'll post plenty of pics then. In fact I'm sure you'll all be sorry I'm getting one soon enough;):D

"and here's one of me eating cereal with my 20"AK, and another of me eating steak with the Cherokee Rose....";)

actually I do plan on eating steak with the Rose--it just seems like it WANTS to cut meat--and it'll take what it can get (legally):eek:

...So that was you, Rob, performing all of those cattle mutilations that were blamed on martians? I see...

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

So that was you, Rob, performing all of those cattle mutilations that were blamed on martians? I see

Who ME? I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about;):rolleyes:

"(how DO you get blood of 5160 anyway...;))"

Now you all know "WHO" was killing all those bats!! Town(as usual)
BLAMED ME!!Once more "I" am innocent(probably the only innocent person on this forum,Ndn is "nuts" wal"just plain "sick",ME as everyone can see"innocent)!!
jim :cool:

Can anyone post a pic of a "Cherokee Rose", can't find one in the forum or on Uncle Bills website...what is it? would like to know more about this elusive beast.

Thanks

That's some neat blade, Rob. I'll give you a call the next time I'm up your way; I'd really like to see it.

Sweet Bowie Rob!! I am glad it finally came in for you. I remember you being quite excited about its arrival. What Russ said goes for me also. I love bowies almost as much as Khuks. We will have to get together and see new acquistions again. Keep the lust going for new blades. Good grab there!!

I do not own this one but got a chance to handle it while visiting a fellow forumite in Germany. I really liked the balance of the Cherokee Rose.

..Neat design, got that 'rib-tickler' point unlike the khuks, certainly is a meaty bowie!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Back