Chieftain

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings, and thanks for checking out this thread!

Chieftain is designed for one thing, and that's to help break down game. Could be little squirrels or large elk- it don't matter to Chieftain, Chieftain don't discriminate!

The hollow ground blade is brought to a narrow shoulder width, with a flat ground secondary bevel just waiting to be convexed over time. This CPM D2 gets wicked sharp with not much work. It ain't wear resistant like 10V, and it ain't corrosion resistant like AEB-L, but it rewards the careful outoorsperson with a ludicrously keen edge.

The blade on this specimen is .177", cryogenic quenched with hand rubbed flats and belt finished bevels.

The tang frame and handle scales are held in place with 4, 2mm hidden, stainless steel pins. The tang is held in place with 3, 1/8" pins and another 2, 2mm pins. The tang frame is laminated black and white G10, and the handle scales are Richlite.

Sheath-wise, you're looking at about 9oz veg tan leather, with a goat suede liner. It's all hand stitched, wet molded and hot packed. It's designed to carry up and out of the way of your bow or rifle. I'm not gonna lie, this sheath kicked my ass! It was hard to make and took a long time, but I learned a bunch of new stuff, (and, let's face it, some old stuff that I already learned, lol!).

Blade Length; 4 1/4"
Overall Length; 8 3/8"
Weight of knife; 4.85oz
Combined weight; 9oz

axj0vkM.jpg

oiITGwK.jpg

7BJYIOq.jpg

oqbeD9N.jpg

XJ8gzhD.jpg

4YHeR9b.jpg

IpEpvKx.jpg

53EMkSh.jpg

Thank you for looking! Comments and questions welcome.

Cheers!

This is an incredibly beautiful knife. I wonder how the Cpm D2 will perform. If it is really aimed at taking down a elk or deer, the contact with blood can sometimes cause rust very quickly. I think a stainless steel would be a safer choice than cpm D2. I have a few cpm D2 knives and Tool steels are challenging steels when it comes to rust.

Absolutely exquisite.
I'm glad you like it! I tried to incorporate an arrow head shape into the belt loop stitching. Mildly successful, lol
DAAAAAAMN!
šŸ™Œ
This is an incredibly beautiful knife. I wonder how the Cpm D2 will perform. If it is really aimed at taking down a elk or deer, the contact with blood can sometimes cause rust very quickly. I think a stainless steel would be a safer choice than cpm D2. I have a few cpm D2 knives and Tool steels are challenging steels when it comes to rust.
Thanks! You are right, someone is gonna have to be careful...

What is the purpose of the swedge on this type of a knife? Is it for weight saving and esthetics or is there some other benefit to it?

Thanks.

What is the purpose of the swedge on this type of a knife? Is it for weight saving and esthetics or is there some other benefit to it?

Thanks.
it does shave weight from the blade, which helps with a hunting knife since you want the knife to be slightly handle heavy, but more importantly, it adds taper to the stock thickness toward the tip. It makes for a very fine and sharp point which reduces drag through the material being cut, (connective tissue, corium layer etc.)

This is a terrific looking knife, Lorien. Michael scored a nice one - I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs for him.

Some turd nugget beat me to the Chieftain offered in Lorien's newsletter. I missed it by "this much", as they say.

Lucky bastard.

ClFrgge.gif

šŸ˜†

you two responded literally at the same time- 4:11! It was a c hair's width!
I'll make you one down the road, my man...I gotchu

Thanks, Lorien, you're the man. Regardless, I look forward to seeing how the lucky recipient's knife shapes up.

(I forgot to add in my post above - imaginary bonus points to whoever can guess the movie I referenced.)

Dang it all to Hades !!! šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

The tracking stated that ā€œChieftainā€ was out for delivery today but the mailbox was just full of bills. First word problems.

Back