China to help Nepal fight Maoists

I assume this is the same story as that posted by Tohatchi earlier today...

I thought the Chinese were supplying the Maoists with arms and other aid, but I just read the article and noticed it says the Maoists think Beijing's deviated from true communism. What's going on? Wouldn't accepting Chinese aid in this case be like setting a fox to guard the hen house? Is this all just political doubletalk, or have I got this all wrong?

Did not notice his earlier post. Apologies. Can not figure out how to delete my own post!

The situation in Nepal is very complex. Much political infighting and jockeying for position. Hard to tell the what is happening. Hopefully the Maoists are on the way out!

Beijing is undergoing a capitalistis surge. People there are beginning to realize the limitations of communism. However at the same time Mao Ze-Dung (sp intentional) is revered to an almost godlilke status.

And they are making bunches of money selling fake chinese swords on ebay!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Are we helping the good guys fighting the bad government or the good government fighting the bad guys?"
----American soldier in South America

Pappy,

That could sure make sense.

I find the Chinese the most "alien" of any culture in terms of being able to understand their machinations with the Japanese close behind.

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
Did not notice his earlier post. Apologies. Can not figure out how to delete my own post!

It's one of those funny things that shows up when you edit your post, but only moderators are allowed to do. Must be some kind of teaser...;)

LOL!!:D:D

...made my day ;)

I sure hope that the powers that be in Nepal realize before it is too late, what the chinese may be getting ready to try. Kind of a bad scene when they can run right over you with their masses of people. There is no way sensible people should ever try to fight those folks with conventional warfare.:eek: :) :D

But at least the are genuine Chinese fake Chinese swords :D

You keep working on that one and you'll have a tongue twister pretty soon.:)

Hard to say. I think maybe both China and India like the idea of having that little buffer zone between them.

We had some discussions earlier, in which the flux amongst the many Nepali factions was mentioned, and the almost comic-opera back-and-forth moves were made (still serious in cost of lives and livelyhood).

PM Dueba visited the U.S. and U.K., asking for aid in the battle against the Maoists, and came home with some numbers and good news. Koirala, the ex-PM who wants to be PM again, tried to have Deuba ousted from their party. He then visited China "at the invitation of the Communist Party", and China announced support for the government against the Maoists. Koirala then visited India, with two of his party chiefs, and all three vehemently denied reports that they had met with hide-out members of the Maoists. Koirala had only gone to India to see to the welfare of a sick third-cousin's mother-in-law's pet goat, or something like that, and needed his party chiefs with him because he doesn't speak goat. If he looks like the bad guy at this point, he ain't alone - when the U.S. aid was announced, the U.S. also insisted that they be the ones to administer the funds, and in the areas where they were needed. When the terms of the aid were presented to the King, it took him two weeks to decide that Nepal needed $40 million worse than his cronies needed the rake-off from it.
Curiouser and curiouser.

I got a huge chuckle thinking about the king having to let the 40 million slip thru his fingers -- and struggling with the notion. I'll bet he didn't sleep four hours during those two weeks.

Back