Chinese War Sword: Dadao

Currently I'm looking to get the CAS Hanwei Dadao which runs online for about $130. I've also seen the Cold Steel demos about their Chinese war sword, but they sell for over $500! I'm looking to spend no more than $300 for a decent dadao... can someone give me any suggestions? Also if you own any, a quick review would also be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

before you spend that much, look at the new condor dadao

At the price ($85ish) you can afford to get one in your hand, play with it, and see if that's really the sword type you want

it's also full tang and built like a russian battle tank

CN35819HC.jpg

Looks pretty good. I read a few threads on here regarding dadaos and one thing that bothers me is the welded pommel ring... well it looked horrendous on one of the hanwei dadaos... i think it was their military version. Anyone know anuything about the pommel on the condor?

Either way, $85 is a hella good price =)

yes, it's an integral pommel ring. Not welded. it's actually part of the tang.

IMHO, the condor version is superior to anything i can find up to several times the cost.

grrr...I finally decided to bite on the condor (no thanks to you guys). The other half will probably kill me for it. I need to find a nice way/place to hang these swords. It also looks like the price is creeping up (and stock going down) on these as well.

1075, like the rest of their carbon steel machetes and knives. :)

they tell me it's 1075. I don't know if i believe them. it doesn't PERFORM like 1075...

It performs just exactly as well as 1095crovan in my Boomslang

Alright you guys got me sold lol I have one on the way =) And considering I was going to spend around $300, this one almost seems free!

I'm also looking for another, bigger one. Anybody seen the movie "Fearless" with Jet Li? Theres a fight scene at night and this bald guy holds the meanest, baddest looking dadao with rings. Heres some pics:

fearless%2B2006.jpg

fearless11.jpg

Do they have functional swords like that on production?

edit: The photos dont capture the size very well... this thing is HUGE
found a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHgXcIfCyR0

Last edited:
I haven't seen a single production or semi-production Dadao with a blade on the long side of traditional models(3 feet, that is. )

I know of a way to make one, but the steel cost would be a lot since it'd have to be air hardening for my preferred HT shop to consider touching it.

I just got mine (condor dynasty dadao) in the mail yesterday. It's definitely a compact beast, pretty solid, balance is forward in the blade even with the long(ish) handle. As noted the pommel ring is definitely part of the tang. Very sweet!

Initial thoughts:

Pros:
- It's definitely solid and well made. A thing of beauty in its roughness.

Cons:
- Seems a bit small at first.
- As delivered it's not suitable for thrusting. The end is not sharpened, only cut off and polished.
- The hilt is a bit skinny for my tastes. I wish the wood were more rounded instead of squared. Wrapping in paracord should help with that.

Last edited:
Dadaos are not really known for their thrusting ability. You can do it if you have to, but it's certainly not what the pattern was designed for. :)

Dadaos are not really known for their thrusting ability. You can do it if you have to, but it's certainly not what the pattern was designed for. :)

However some dadaos are actually able to thrust, those with a harder curve (like the cold steel).

are you gonna get any in stock in the future 42?...for whatever reason, I WANT ONE

Oh I definitely will be--as soon as more are available! It's a fun one for sure. :)

Back