"Chipped Delica Clips"

About a month ago and with the help of BF members, I got my first Spyderco - a Delica PE FRN. I'm pleased as punch with the knife and thank the guys who recommended to me. It's a perfect daily carry for me.

However, as I've already been using it quite extensively, the clip has already become scratched and the paint has chipped off revealing the steel beneath. I always attached it to my jeans you see.

My question is, how easy is it to get replacement clips ? How much are they ? Are they available from Spyderco only ?

Replies much appreciated.
Tardis

You can get replacement clips from Spyderco's Factory Outlet. However it is normal for the black coating on clips to get chipped and scratched with wear - this is true for the blackened clips of all brands.

I prefer plain steel clips, and you might want to consider switching from a black one to a polished one.

...Or you could just polish off all the black yourself. I've done that myself, and it looks pretty good that way...Especially if you leave the outline of the Spyderco emblem black.

Well...

The paint on a Delica clip <i>will</i> chip. There's no getting around it.

<i>But</i>, the clip on my Calypso Jr. seems to be blued steel (rather than painted steel), and it don't chip. Now, the Calypso clip is a 3-screw type that won't interchange with the Delica, but I've heard that the Native clip is also blued. You might call up Spyderco and ask them if the Delica and Native clips are interchangable, and if they'll send you one (expect to pay for it--worn paint isn't covered by the warranty :D )

One more thought--has anybody tried stripping the paint off of a Delica/Endura clip and using a bluing compound on it? I mean, the clips are probably stainless, right? Does stainless steel blue?

Thanks for the replies all.

How do you recommend removing the paint ?? Sand it off or use a wire wheel or something ? Did you use any specific materials or chemicals Glockman99 ??

A stainless steel clip would look rather cool I think.

Originally posted by tardis
Thanks for the replies all.

How do you recommend removing the paint ?? Sand it off or use a wire wheel or something ? Did you use any specific materials or chemicals Glockman99 ??
I just used good old wet/dry sandpaper. I started with 400 grit, and worked up to 1000 grit.

Originally posted by Grover_Cephas
I mean, the clips are probably stainless, right? Does stainless steel blue?

AFAIK, no. Stainless steel won't take standard blue treatments.

Epoxy paint? Or, if you can find a non-stainless clip, you could parkerize it.

You can sand blast also. I prefer the look of a blasted clip.
It doesn't look real great, but with hard use it never looks
bad either. Scratches don't show up as much.

I use a dremel, with a 150grit drum and the 3rd setting.

I have a sweet clip on my tufram cricket that SFO sent me for free(I asked nicely) to experiment with. I took all the black off except for the bug. I also did the reverse to the Delica clip(my friend is carrying it now, converting him slowly), and left the bug silver on a black clip.

Per Carlos' remark that all black clips chip. It is normal for less expensive Spydercos but it is not normal for other brands. My experience with black clips:

- Matriarch: Badly chipped clip after 2 years. Chips on the nut and all places on the clip.
- Starmate: Black came off the screws in less than a month. After 3 years, the finish is worn off on all edges, but it looks a lot better than the Matriarch. The Starmate clip finish does not appear to be a traditional paint like most of the FRN models.
- David Boye Companion: Black finish is almost perfect after 2 years. One small chip on the bottom of the clip due to hitting concrete.
- Benchmade Auto-Stryker: 4 years old. Clip is black but not really painted, maybe parkerized, but not really blued either. Perfect, no scratches, just a little dirt around the screws.

I have a friend with a Native and it has the same scratching problem as my Matriarch.

Some of Spyderco's clips are great. However, after about 2 years of regular use, Spyderco's black clips on their FRN models look pretty beat. Too bad they won't fix it, it has been a past complaint on this forum and the Spyderco forum.

Guys,

I know this, because I've changed mine around. You see, I have a Native that is used for work only so I removed it's "blued steel" clip and installed it on my FRN Delica. I then took the painted style, scratched clip from my Delica and sanded off the paint to make it silver with a visible black Spyder logo. It looks pretty good on the Native, but the "blued steel" one looks the best on the Delica.

I sure wish this style of clip finish was still standard on Spyderco knives that don't used a polished stainless clip. It makes such a difference to the rich appearance of the clip, and the knife overall that it's unbelievable. Even when these "blued" clips get worn around the edges, they still look good. Fact is, when the knife is clipped into your pocket, the top of the handle and the clip are all you see.

Please Sal, I implore you...consider switching back to the blued style as standard issue. If the cost of the knife must be increased slightly to offset this, then so be it.

Jeff/1911.

Hi Tardis, sorry for the problem. We made stainless clips for years. no one complained. Then we made clips black. then everyone made clips black. Then we get complaints. We've tried and are using a variety of coatings (it's not paint)for the past 20 years. They are coatings, like platings. To date, we've not had absolute success in finding a foolproof coating. We've even used the vendors of those "so called" never scratch coatings, only to find that they too have scratched.

When we find a solution that is foolproof, we'll try it. It also has to be affordable. Simplest for us is the stainless, but many want more stealth. One of the arguments for the new wire clips we're testing.

Hey Rycen. Thanx for the tip on the Jewelshop. We'll look into it. It also might be a solution for Tardis. I said a few years ago that decorator clips would have a future. Interesting to see some doing it.

sal

I had some knives coated in Bodycote's Diamond DLC (just before they stopped taking individual orders) that I've been told is to be much tougher that just the boron carbide coating on my Kershaw black chive.

I also had 2 Spyderco & 1 Benchmade clips done & so far they are holding up very well.

I will have to wait the test of time as I only got them back a few weeks ago.

Sal, Have you tried the Diamond DLC or just the boron carbide?

Sal,

Can you identify what coloring is used for the Native clips? Is it a "bluing" process?

Thanks, Jeff/1911.

Sal,

Thank you for your reply and explanation of the clips. It sure looks like there is a lot more to them than meets the eye !

Anyway, I am not too concerned that the clip is chipped. I only made the comment for aesthetic reasons and to read other members' comments. The main point is, the 'body' of the knife is excellent and I'm thoroughly impressed with the Delica. In the meantime I look forward to what new solutions Spyderco comes up with for the clip coatings.

Many thanks for your time.

Tardis :)

Tardis, check out my page on file, all the clips you see were once painted black, thats my 1st modification on ANY new Spydie.
The paint remover refuses to work for me, I can get a shine like you wouldn't belive on my buffing wheel and jewlers rouge.
Gun blue wont work and would eventualy wear off too, probably faster than the paint. Ron

Ron,

Where is your webpage located? I can't see a link anywhere here...I was hoping to see the pictures of your modified clips.

Thanks, Jeff.

Back