Chiruwa field test: afternoon in the garden.

Some good news and fun through these confusing, confused, and sad times.

I received last week this Chiruwa from Uncle Bill ( I think it was a PGA -- there are some filled holes on the handle) Price was indeed attractive. It is made by Bura, as Uncle Bill told me.

The finish is excellent ( some forge bumps, but it is character) The Handle is thick and short. It feels better and more secure in my hand than the 18" GS I have. Very Very good first impression. The file on the edge seems to point at "very hard, harder or close to my spydie moran, that must be 60 hrc in the middle section. Tip and back are softer.
It must be 16 or 16.5 inches but I do not really know as i did not measure (and if I did, it would be in centimeters;))

Any way, went to the garden, and did some tree cleaning. This is south of France, and I got some interesting species:

Banana trees are no match, way too soft, but always pleasant for the ego to chop 5 inches of a 3 meters tree in a single whack :cool:.
Must remember not to stay under, sofh but heavy, full of water.
Must remember to leave some growing ! :D :D

Yucca is more of a match, although it is a soft palm-tree like wood, a single whack for 4 inches is fair. What is not fair is the spines in my calves when it felt (he he, always wear metal boots when I do that, specially since I carved some shoes and a big toe with a @$#% cold-steel LTC--very painful).
Cleaning the Yucca trunk from spines after dragging it in sand left no damage to the edge, amazing.:)

Going for stronger wood, it is nice that I had some orange trees to shorten, This can be done with no damage to the tree up to the 15 th of april, sunday was the 15th :D. This is a much harder and dense wood, and it takes 4 to 5 blows to go through 3 inches, depending on position.
Still the chiruwa did the job nicely, leaving clean enough cuts.
It is hardwork, and a saw is probably more efficient, but less satisfying. Did 2 trees, finished the other 8 with saw, as I do not fancy climbing trees too high with a big blade and children arround.

As a test I tried Olive tree for some dying branches, and well, it is a petty hard wood and required lots of work. The "chunk" tells you that your best blow will only penetrate 1/2 inch, and the vibration in the hand is awful. I stop there, got caught once with a bouncing Khuk on hard wood, not twice! Anyway, only caterpillars are a match for olive trees.

Finished the afternoon on some bushes, The blade is too heavy for that, there is no feeling of encountering anything, and energy is wasted to stop the swing. Still, it gets the job done and is more fun than scisors.

After work inspection:
Minor scratches, little darkening of the polish (orange juice!), edge fine, except where I used it to pry a nail out of some planks. 2 minutes sharpening with a ceramic , and it was back to normal. The burnisher will not work very well on this edge, too hard !
Grease all that (it is actually 1/2 grease and 1/2 wax, designed for greasy cottons coats) and back to hide (children oblige).

Hand:
No (can't remember the english term..skin holes ?.) pain, perfect fit of the handle. Never slipped (but then I am a windsurfer, so when I grab, I grab). I rounded the back a little with a file before use.

Summary:
:):) Happy, had much fun, children had fun (2.5 years old said "look at papa's blade!" -- must watch him, may be an early case of HIKV ).

The Chiruwa is a perfect tool for me. The GS I will keep for self defense.

PS: also got some Kagas Katne in the same order, and I must say these are nice little things.

Good report, sounds like you had fun too. I think the word you're looking for is "blisters". I could be wrong. I'm happy to hear HI gained such a world wide acceptance. I have to admit Khukris are making quite a trip. Sounds like you have a fine family. All the best from the vacation state of the USA.
Sam

I sure miss the Mojave Desert. Where do you live that you have orange trees and Yucca's? If you dont mind, that is...don't let me trip over your front porch step..but what is FR?

Thanks,

munk

Blister... thanks, too lazy to pick up a dictionary at this time of the night.

Yep, indeed, fun is all about HI khukuries because being honest, you do not really NEED them, you enjoy them! (NEED as in I need food)

I'll have to get to Florida :cool: some day, sounds like here, lots of tourists, lots of aged person (please nobody take offense), lots of mosquitos, lots of oranges, sea :). Don't have any crocodile here though, but he, you do not have ski resorts in an hour drive either, on the other side you must have some decent surf...:cool:

My chiruwa took a month to come to France, it IS a world class blade, as it must have done 4 times round the globe in that time :)

Munk,

I am on French Riviera, most things grow arround here, a very tolerant climate. As wet as London (same quantity of rain), as sunny as a desert (water falls in 20 days/year).

My front porch step might be a bit far from yours :)

Got point about wearing steel toed boots! I've had some narrow misses, but I always wear my Cat steel toes for protection.

My miss costed me a week of snowboarding, a pair of mountain boots and 8 stitches. The pain was inexistant, it took me 1 minute to understand that the blade had cut the foot.

I agree, Cat steel toes are a must have when swinging a blade.

My parents owned a small orange grove in California, with some very old trees. Testing a kuk on dried orange tree stumps would almost be like pounding on iron.

Oft repeated phrase.... I don't think anything is really like pounding on iron but iron. Let's just say headway would be earned.

One thing I like about the Mojave desert and Montana...not too many people in each. French Riveria...now that brings to mind a few bodies in the sun.

munk

Congratulations on the new Khukuri Sing.:)

Banana trees are no match, way too soft, but always pleasant for the ego to chop

Banana trees are sooooo much fun to chop!!:D I used to beg the grounds keeper where I worked in Maui to tell me when the bananas needed to be cut down. I used my Gelbu special one time and it just flew right through it like it wasn't even there:D Good memories!:)

Someone else posted about how hard orange trees were. IIRC, it was osage orange though--probably a whole different tree.

Welcome to the Chiruwa Club:D:D They have no equals!!

I did not try dried branches, too hard as you said.

I understand the attraction for less populated areas, fortunately the sea shore is full of naked bodies (overcrowded in fact), but the backcountry is still the alps, and does not give easy access, so you find only a few goats and cows (and respective owners), but also wolves and chamois, eagles (the camel I saw last time is non native :)...

I envy the states were one can line a 100 miles from neighbours if whishes so.

In old europe a 10 km is the most you could do, and not easily.

Bye, I think it is time to bed...

Yeah MauiRob, bent that one to check it was dying before cutting it.
Great laugth anyway... Difficult to keep some...

Osage orange, ****, must find dictionary again...

Good night.

Back