Chisel Grind

JP

Chisel grind---one fact, undisputed fact, to manufacture a "chisel grind" costs less than others. That's the "magic."

It may be easier to grind out by hand for a custom or handmade but with factory machinery doesn't it basically cost the same to set up the machines? The process basically is, put the steel in and several seconds later a blade pops out. There can't be that much money saved with a chisel grind.

Besides, I highly doubt that's why Emerson chose the chisel grind.

Jason

Emerson chose the chisel grind as much as for marketing as for any other reason. Especially with the left handed grind it created a nich for him. The manufacteres have picked up on it because we all want to be like the SEALS and SPECOPS boys and since they must all use them (which I very highly doubt) then we "need" them too. Witness the new TOPS knives with their "design team" that is made up of ex-military guys and has all sorts of cool cut outs and holes in the blades and very macho names. Its all just like the fishing lure business.

Coyote,

Well said. Most military folks choose their knives based on looks even more than the "average" buyer does. I've sat down with military folks to design knives, and by-and-large the "features" I was asked to include had little to do with pure function.

Jason,

I think you overestimate the degree of automation in the knife industry. It was my understanding that knives like Spydercos and Benchmades were hand-ground, and these are very "high-tech" knives. Certainly I have seen the tangible evidence of (poor) hand-grinding in many Benchmades and U.S.-produced Spydercos. Usually the problems are that one side does not match the other; switch to a chisel grind and you eliminate this problem.

I have made and used chisel-ground blades, and in my opinion they are much easier to make and offer no functional advantage (in fact, they are disavantageous). I quickly abandoned this grind style.

------------------
-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives

I was mainly quoting Les Robertson's experiences from visiting plants and his familiarity with knives.

I don't think Benchmade nor Spyderco hand grind their knives although I could be wrong. If you've ever compared Benchmade CQC7's (970s and 975s) every single chisel grind is different with some lines even going in completely opposite directions on two different knives. Same with the Emerson production CQC7's although this problem does ot appear on the Commander. Making a Chisel ground knife doesn't alleviate the problem of getting consistent and straight grind lines.

Jason

That inconsistency is exactly why I think they are hand-ground. Also, I've seen a knife in "Blade" by a fellow they said grinds AFCKs for his day-job. Blade looked a lot like an AFCK, too.

I didn't mean that every flaw went away when you chisel grind, but you have less than half the grinding precision to worry about. You only need to get one set of grinds right, not two, plus it doesn't need to match anything. That anyone could mess that up is a crime. It's dirt-easy to chisel grind a knife well.

------------------
-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives

Correcting myself - Sal Glesser says the Starmate is machine-ground and just hand-finished. I imagine this holds for some (if not all) Spydercos, at least the U.S.-made ones.

-Drew

Back