Chive=Accidental Opening?

I have been looking at the Kershaw Chive, but I have reservations regarding the possibility of an accidental opening. If I did get the knife, it would be carried in the bottom of my pocket. Without the safety lock engaged, is it too easy for the knife to open with a little pressure on the "flipper"? Having the safety lock located at the bottom of the knife seems sort of inconvenient somehow. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

--Steve

Howdy There..!
I have been carrying a Scallin for almost six months and I haven't had any problems. I carry it in my front pocket and it works great. I am right handed and I can put the knife out and slide the safety off all in one motion. It is a great little blade as far as I am concerned. Give it a try.

"possum":cool:

Without the safety lock engaged you'll be looking at a trip to the hospital ! :eek:

The safety is a necessity and it soon becomes natural to disengage once you get used to it.

Get yourself a Chive, you wont regret it, awesome little knife.

I would say that the safety is a necessity as well. But, considering the way the SpeedSafe works, if you wear the knife snugly enough to where the other side of the blade is against your pocket lining, I can't see it opening.

Since you have to push on the blade itself to open it, any pressure to the opposite should negate the torsion bar. You end up squeezing the blade. The handle itself would have to move if you hit the flipper in this scenario. I stick mine in the front belt loop of my Dickies and, even without the safety, it can't open without ripping the belt loop off.

This is just what I've found with my Scallion. I still suggest using the safety 100% of the time. Void where prohibited. FDIC insured.

Zero

Get one and use the safety - don't worry about the extra 50ms it will take to relesae the safety, because it's more than made up in the swiftness of the very light blade.

~Mitch

I took the safety on mine off a week after I got it. I also carry it at the bottom of my pocket, sometimes clipped to some $. I have had no accidental firings with it at all, but I think that if you did... you would definitly know it:eek:

I have often carried my (currently in the shop) Chive deep in my pocket, with the safety on, and have never had a problem. I don't understand why you would want to take the safety off, as I think it's easy to use and essential for safety. Hmm, maybe that's why they call it that......:)

Asha'man

I carry mine using the clip. I never paid attention if the safety was off or on. It has never opened in my pocket. I could see where this is possible given the design, but it hasn't happend yet. Thank you, I will now be sure that the safety is locked.

Thanks for all of the quick replies regarding this interesting (and fun :) ) knife! I think I'll give it a shot. It's tough to make a buying decision on something that is both unusual and tough to handle in person on a regular basis. Thanks again,

Steve

Back