Chive, Scallion, Leek or OD-1? Which Kershaw A/O?

I don't have an A/O... Any advice on which one and why?

The Leek seems to have a huge following.

I'm wondering if the Chive is too small to be useful. Scallion seems like a better bet. Although they're affordable enough (especially in a blem) that maybe I should just grab one of each? :thumbup:

Does the OD-1 grip feel odd with the half G10, half Al setup? I think the orange one looks very cool. :cool:

Shallot looks a bit larger than I think I'd like for this role. Neat looking knife though.

Advice appreciated, or just a word about how you like your Kershaw A/O.

Last edited:
Do you mean the "OD-1" instead of "AO-1"? Assuming you do, that's the one I would recommend. The Chive and Scallion are too small for my liking, which means that for me the choice would come down to the Leek and OD-1. I like both, but the OD-1 is definitely my favorite of the two. The stainless steel/G-10 handle is very comfortable, and the blade is a bit more versatile than that of the Leek, owing to its being made from thicker blade stock and having a little bit more belly. It's one of my favorite Kershaws, and one of my favorite 3" or less knives more generally.

(As an aside, the OD-1 technically isn't an assisted opener like the others, which use Kershaw's SpeedSafe assisted opening system. But the cam system the OD-1 uses makes it fly open as fast as any AO, so for practical purposes it doesn't really matter. You can also close it more quickly/easily because you're not having to overcome the tension of the torsion bar to get it back into the closed position.)

Yes - OD-1, sorry about that. That OD-1 sounds like a neat knife. Thanks for the input.

Agree with Neuron, the Chive and Scallion are just too small to hold comfortably and securely.

I have a scallion, chive, leek, and shallot. I find the leek is a good fit when I want the swift schwick sound and I don't have too big a jog to do but if I think I need a larger blade the shallot has a nice weight to it. Opens quickly and solidly if not lightning fast. The scallion and the chive just don't seem to move as fast as they should. I've only owned one of each model so maybe my sample is too small but those are my findings.

I wear 2XL or better gloves so anything smaller than a leek starts to get lost in my hands too.

The question, as always, is...for what use?

I LOVE the LEEK as an EDC/"Gentleman's" knife. I would not consider it adequate for hard use or as a outdoor knife.
It is great for those everyday tasks such as opening mail, boxes, cutting twine/ties, fruit, etc. nice for whittling, and other fine work.

The A/O is very functional, smooth and quick. Easy to activate and easy to close. The only two issues that I've had is with it accidentally opening when dropped on the floor. And, my concern that an overly aggressive LEO might consider it an AUTO ("switchblade").

The Leek, Shallot, and OD-1 are all great knives that are big enough to get the jobs done, but of the 3 I prefer the Shallot for EDC. My only issue with OD-1 is how it rides in the pocket tip up, but the flipper mechanism is phenomenal.

I got to flick the OD-1 a few times, not enough to make a final judgment, but i have been able to borrow a leek for a few hours. the OD-1 seemed weird and unresponsive compared to the leek which just flew open. i absolutely love the leek, but they are cheap enough, why not buy both. or, better yet, buy a OD-2 to try out the flipper. they are cheaper than dirt. you can get an OD-2 at amazon for 12 bucks. i might just pick one up....

Blur Blur Blur Blur....Did I mention Blur? :D

Great A/O knife...I have the Tanto Blur, which I like alot..I'm really wanting the s30v Blur too.

I have the leek, the scallion and had the OD-1 but i gave that one away. The most fun to flip would have to be in this order the leek, scallion, then OD-1.

The leek is good for gentleman's carry because the blade is thin and forms to your pocket well that sometimes you forget you have it on you. The only problem is if you get the normal stainless steel version the handle can get quite slippery.

The scallion is thicker than the leek but smaller and the blade shape is different. The blade is more curved but the tip is more reinforced. If you get one of the anodized aluminum handles the slipperiness wouldn't be a problem.

The OD-1 was pretty fun to flip but the problem i had with it was that the framelock would be sticky and difficult to release out of box but it may or may not have fixed with some use.

I'm looking into getting a chive which is basically a scallion but smaller.

Last edited:
The linerlock was sticky? The OD-1 is a framelock. ;)

I have the leek, the scallion and had the OD-1 but i gave that one away. The most fun to flip would have to be in this order the leek, scallion, then OD-1.

The leek is good for gentleman's carry because the blade is thin and forms to your pocket well that sometimes you forget you have it on you. The only problem is if you get the normal stainless steel version the handle can get quite slippery.

The scallion is thicker than the leek but smaller and the blade shape is different. The blade is more curved but the tip is more reinforced. If you get one of the anodized aluminum handles the slipperiness wouldn't be a problem.

The OD-1 was pretty fun to flip but the problem i had with it was that the linerlock would be sticky and difficult to release out of box but it may or may not have fixed with some use.

I'm looking into getting a chive which is basically a scallion but smaller.

Agree with Neuron, the Chive and Scallion are just too small to hold comfortably and securely.

Disagree, while you cant get your whole hand on the scallion, the part that is on is comfortable. The jimping is the best I have felt easly on par with my para2 and the handle is ergonomic. While the scallion handle may not be comfy for extended hard use it is comfy for regular EDC activities and the blade is long enough for them as well. My only thing with the Scallion was the recurve blade. I just didnt find it necessary on a smaller blade. Some will though. Scallion comes sharp and locks in your hand, and has a very powerful A/O.

The Leek because it's just the right size and feels so good in the hand with a versatile blade design.....
002-8.jpg

Back