Cho, Choil? Same difference?

Just noticed in the new issue of American Rifleman that it has a Knife glossary of sorts on Page 28. The part that interested me was the definition of the word "Choil": "An indentation in a blade's lower profile between its ground surface and the front of its tang. It may be a tiny, half circular notch or a flat recess wide enough for finger purchase" In an accompanying photo, the Choil is shown right at the end of the knife's handle, so somewhat further back than a cho, but.....

Just thought it was interesting that the word, so close to our "cho" is also pretty much identical in definition.

Something for the Linguists. Ben?

What exactly is the purpose of the cho/choil? Well, according to the world's greatest living bladesmith* -

"When this is done, move on to cutting the choil out of the blade's edge at the plunge cut. This cutout will be a great aid in sharpening the blade and will prevent the blade from coming to an abrupt halt against the stone when it hits the end of the edge."

- Jim Hrisoulas, "The Complete Bladesmith", p. 60

* Just don't send him any money till you've actually received the knife. But that's another story...

I think some kami heard "choil" and it got corrupted into "cho." Each kami has his own name for the "notch".

Same thing when the Gorkhas told the British the name of the knife they carried, the "khukuri." The Gorkhas said khukuri but the British heard "kukri" -- along with a variety of other interpretations.

I've always thought the cho could be used to stop an opponent's blade from sliding down yours into your hands. No?

I had a real crass idea for the cho. This is bad..like Mad magazine or Kmart...I'm sure someone has mentioned a bottle cap opener...I'm certain the Kami's would be real receptive to putting that in there instead of some ancient symbol... Right after we put a compas in the hilt and a magnifying glass instead of the little heart pattern in the chitlangi...

munk

I've kinda wondered about the cho, choil thing myself.

This knife seems to have something like what Tom' post describes:

http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/Knives/chimera.htm

But should this much larger example, which appears also designed so one could use it as a finger notch when using a choked-up grip for fine work bear the same name?

http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/Knives/tempest.htm

I seem to recall choil being used to describe features of Malayasian or Indonesian knives.
At any rate, "choil" isn't in my big Webster's unabridged dictionary, so be careful trying to use it in scrabble.

:confused:

At any rate, "choil" isn't in my big Webster's unabridged dictionary, so be careful trying to use it in scrabble.

Mine either:D

But seriously, why is "Kris" in the dictionary while neither Khukuri or Kukri are?!!:mad:

Its just not right.

Where's Beoram? We need a linguist in here!! Help!

I have used my cho as a finger notch - its convenient for sharpening, because it puts your hand closer to the center of balance. Then again, an open cho with the notch in the middle is a pretty uncomfortable thing to hold onto.

Back