Choose Your Weapon

Imagine this scenario. Suddenly you are thrown back into an age long forgotten.

A mysterious stranger challenges you to a duel that you cannot back out of.

He shouts those words that pumps adrenalin into your system: "Choose your weapon."

You have 60 seconds to decide. Which sword would you pick up?

If you live, tell me why you pick THAT sword above all the others?

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

[This message has been edited by golok (edited 05-19-2001).]

I would challenge him to "ballistic knives" at 25 yards--chances are he would think they're regular knives and try to throw it or close for a stab.

Definitely two blades for me:

A short sword in one hand- gladius, celtic leaf blade, espada, wak, anything fast and maneuverable with an OAL of 30" or less.

A long knife in the other- bowie, parrying dagger, facon, anything with a full guard, good balance, and a blade in the 10"-12" range.

Then let the games begin
biggrin.gif

Mario

------------------
Gaucho

Tuvo muy mala suerte...se callo en mi cuchillo.

A Gladius or Spatha backed up by a Colt M-4 Carbine and 210 rds of SS-109 62 gr. penetrators.
(hee hee)
-Redleg Out

"Friends don't let friends buy MRL"
smile.gif

a five foot white oak staff with a cs bushman firmly attached at one end.

------------------
It hurts to be on the cutting edge.

I'll just ditto Robert.
biggrin.gif

Guess

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor
Usual Suspect

Probably a short sword of some variety, as I believe it would be easier for a novice to use (not to master, just to use) Preferably something with quillions to protect my hand (i.e, not a gladius) and with two edges and a good point for versatility -- like playing "slop" pool, in this instance, I will take any hit I get!

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

If anything like that happened, I would give myself all the advantage there is. An Ultimax machinegun comes to mind. I'm no swordmaster, and I'm not bound by some obsolete European honor code. I fight to win.
biggrin.gif

If it had to be a sword, I would pick a katana. Not because its the best, just because I have some familiarity with using it. After all, how many of us in the modern world can claim expertise in the use of historical arms?

I wonder what was the easist historical weapon to learn to use?

The Jian is sometimes called the thousand day weapon, because it took that long to get good at it. The dao was called the hundred day weapon and is more commonly found with foot soldiers.

To be honest, the only thing I'd feel comfortablely competent with is a spear, and not too long a spear at that.

I know in a sword forum I am supposed to choose some sort of edged weapon, but I am not competent to fight with any. So I have to choose the only thing that might enable me to survive. I'm choosing a five and a half foot long staff of white oak like Quarterstaff. I made one several years ago from a section of tree top felled by lightning next to my house. With the balance point carved to allow multiple grip posistions and rapid tansitions, it is a formidable weapon with a lot of reach and speed.

Paracelsus

No problem. How about feathered pillows at 10 paces. I have no pride. At least not when it involves a swordfight with a medieval lunatic.

N2S

In the hands of a true martial artist, a rolled-up yesterday's newspaper can be as deadly as a 24inch iron pipe.

For myself, I will just pick a katana, put on an aggressive stance for five seconds, and then turn and run like hell.

If that fool pursues, after 10 seconds I will stop suddenly and return the sword to him very fast - edgewise.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

[This message has been edited by golok (edited 05-03-2001).]

Golok,
This is one of those situational questions. If I had plenty of room and no overhead obstructions I would pick a double edged spear with about a 6 to 8 foot shaft. with training in Filipino, Japanese and Chinese spear work I could probably make a go of it.

In tighter quarters I would take about a 20 inch bladed barong in the stronghand and a good double edged dagger in the left.

A straight or full waved Muslim Kris. Not too short and full of chopping power. Second choice, Naval Boarding Cutlass or some type of saber or samshir.

Other choices, Barong, Crossada Gen I, a Gim/Jian depending on the weight.

Lightsaber !!!!!!!!!! King of the Weapons

DarkJedi - "Make mine a Busse Short, till they make a Lightsaber"

Back