choosing a balisong

AroKiem

Banned
will you guy help me...
i'm looking to buy a new balisong but i don't know which to choose.I want a knife that can take abuse and long freestlye sesions.Can you guys suggest a sturdy balisong for an intermediate user.

What is your price range?

i'm willing to spend up to 150$ if i have to.I need a strong one that will thke damage.Should i not buy a expensive one of i plan to flip,toss & spin it every day.
I would use as well as play with it.So got any suggestions ...:confused:

Benchmade 42, 43, or 47 can be had for around $110.
Microtech Tachyon can be had for $200.

Both great pieces. You won't be dissapointed with either one.
If you have trouble finding info just post.

Welcome to our forum, Mr. AroKiem.

In addition to careful consideration of the many good comments offered here, you may wish to review some of the review articles on my website.

that makes things a little easier...I'd go for anything(okay not anything) BM (31,42,43,or47) you'll get you money worth.

Welcome. Good news, for $150 you will avoid most of the self-destructing type bali's on the market; where the pivot pins will break, or the handles will fall apart. Almost the entire BM 4x Titanium line can be had in that price range, and they offer adjustable pivot screws when the handles gets a bit loose. Those titanium handles so far has not been reported to shatter or break under normal use. Besides, if it does break, they have an excellent warranty program.

If robustness is a true consideration, you might also want to take a look at the Roton Monarch. Availability is a bit sketchy, but it's built tough with solid milled Stainless Steel handles, and a 3/16" tang pin.

I would recommend the Brass SWAT, but I personally think the blade is a bit too brittle to withstand repeated drops to the ground.

Welcome here!

You can browse the catalogue of www.knifezilla.com to see what these models look like.

If you are a beginner, I don't advice you to buy such an expensive knife. Usually, when starting, the knife falls down, and have some accidents. In Europe we have Herbertz for a good cheap start. In the US you have Jaguars. It's -$30 balis and it's not a loss of money. Maybe the pins are weaker than on a Benchmade, but you'll appreciate a Benchmade even more after, if you really fall in love with balisong flipping.

Guys, I've never had this into my hands:
http://216.71.158.68/webcat/product463.html
How is it?

Guillaume

they're really good flippers, not great but really good. As a user they rank somewhere below a jag though as they are a bear to sharpen and don't hold an edge for nothing. The latch is total crap so I took mine off and added some file work to tell safe from bite handle. Unfortunatly, this is the knife I'm stuck with until my BM's get out of shop (well I do have two little 3" FHM). It'll just make me appreciate BM all the more.

Just wanted to welcome the newcomer.

Everything that these guys have said, is true. If it's hard to choose, save up $200 more, and buy several! :D

Anyways, welcome.

Thanks for all your replys,i thinking of getting the pacific stlye balisong.Should i get a benchmade instead? i will probably end up with one soooner or later ...
so what do you guys think?

Buying the Benchmade right off instead of buying the cheapie and then the BM is like getting a built in discount on the BM. Just don't drop the BM on concrete or similar hard surface, and it should hold up just fine. If you don't want to cut anything, including yourself, there is also a BM trainer available. That BM Bowie looks pretty good to me.

Again I'm going to say buy the BM. No sense in buying crap (well they aren't really crap but close) when you can have the real deal. Get a BM 43. Get a Bm 43. Get a BM 43. The Jags and pacific style knives are great for starter if you don't want to get the real quality stuff but if quality is what you're looking for then buy the 43. They just aren't on the same playing field. Oh and in case you haven't gotten my point (I'm too subtle sometimes) get the 43

What Mykl said.
The BM is a quality knife and well within your budget. You will be pleased with it.

I say stick with your original budget. Going to the low end of the spectrum like the Pacific Style Bali will only prove the others right. If you are goning to winf up with a BM, buy the BM. They can be had for much less than $150.

Back