Choosing a budget katana

I am searching a sharp katana in the price range of 350-450 euros. So far the Hanwei Raptor is my favourite choise after reading the reviews, but I have been offered a second hand Cold Steel emperor series katana at 350 euros. I want to handle the Raptor before I make my choise. The Cold Steel was duller than I expected, the wrap was slightly loose and the kashira wiggled. Still, I liked the fittings better than the Raptor's, allthough I have only seen pictures of the Hanwei. My question concerns the steel and handling of the sword, both are important to me. The CS has been said to be crowbar-like and dead in the hand, while the Raptor should feel better. I found this thread about both: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...which-is-better-for-backyard-cutting.1390573/

Opinions?

I am searching a sharp katana in the price range of 350-450 euros. So far the Hanwei Raptor is my favourite choise after reading the reviews, but I have been offered a second hand Cold Steel emperor series katana at 350 euros. I want to handle the Raptor before I make my choise. The Cold Steel was duller than I expected, the wrap was slightly loose and the kashira wiggled. Still, I liked the fittings better than the Raptor's, allthough I have only seen pictures of the Hanwei. My question concerns the steel and handling of the sword, both are important to me. The CS has been said to be crowbar-like and dead in the hand, while the Raptor should feel better. I found this thread about both: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...which-is-better-for-backyard-cutting.1390573/

Opinions?
I am a huge fan of Ronin Katana. They’re TH 1060 blades are no joke. Absolute beaters. They are sorta a one stop shop for all Kats ranging from low end to high end. I have owned one kat from each range and I have liked them all. Their DH 1045 line is still a nice sword and can easily be replaced with more expensive fittings and you’d have a slick sword on your hands. Cold steel is alright but I’ve just heard a lot of spotty reviews on them. Hanwei raptor seems like a good choice but I’ve never owned one.

The Hanwei Raptor is great for a katana in the 350-450 euro range. It is made of high-quality steel and has excellent handling characteristics. The Cold Steel Emperor Series katana is also a good choice, but it may not be as durable as the Raptor, and it may not have the same level of fit and finish. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which sword is right for you based on your needs and preferences.

Sword Encyclopedia lists why the Hanwei Raptor katana is a better choice than the Cold Steel Emperor Series katana:
1. The Hanwei Raptor katana is made of high-quality materials. The blade is made of high carbon steel and is properly heat treated. This results in a much harder and sharper blade.
2. Has a better balance. The balance point is closer to the center of the sword, making it easier to control.
3. Comes with a saya (scabbard) better-made and will protect the blade better.
4. Costs less than the Cold Steel Emperor Series katana.

Last edited:
I have not used either of the specific products you mentioned. I would however opt for 5160 over 1060 if i planned to cut anything more than paper with it. Most budget swords will not come very sharp. It's a good excuse for you to learn to sharpen them yourself.

I have a Ronin Dojo Pro #5 and a Ryujin T10 Shobu Zukuri. Both are inexpensive, very solid, nothing loose and no rattles and came relatively sharp, though I haven’t tried shaving with them. Any production sword you get will probably be about the same level of sharpness (as was already mentioned).

Availability for the poster may be limited. Where are you located? There are a few European dealers that usually have the Hanwei swords and the Raptors are probably a pretty good bet. If you have handled the Emperor series swords and it is a good one (wrap, fittings tight etc), that is a good price but if you have to be careful you are not adopting further problems. Of the lesser priced Cold Steel swords, the Chisa gets good reviews as far as handling.

I'm reading elsewhere of someone growing through issues with quality control. At times, one has to consider what really is an issue. Some things that might be a visual flaw is not an issue with use.

While I watch the market, my own one katana has been idle for a long time but it is a Hanwei that managed service as a loaner in many hands.

WKC of Solingen might be one to check out.

Cheers
GC

The Hanwei Raptor is great for a katana in the 350-450 euro range. It is made of high-quality steel and has excellent handling characteristics.

Never owned a Ronin, but have owned and cut with many other Hanwei/Paul Chen/Cas Iberia models. I felt they were a great value, they are well made, very tough and resilient.
Are they a durable as a Howard Clark L-6 Banite? Perhaps not, but they are not 6K either.

I kept one of the cheaper models, a practical plus, in the dojo for students or guests who were new to tameshigiri. It was used by some very inept guests who figured if they were high level black belts in say Okinawan Kobudo or Karate, surely they could step right up and be proficient with the Japanese sword. Not so, like anything else it takes practice to become proficient.

That old practical plus cut and cut, enduring decades of poor technique and abuse while never bending or suffering any damage other than a few scratches. For a lower end sword price wise, I would highly recommend them.

Inappropriate Advertising / Minor Spam
Hey if you are still looking for budget katana then I would suggest you to check from link removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Never owned a Ronin, but have owned and cut with many other Hanwei/Paul Chen/Cas Iberia models. I felt they were a great value, they are well made, very tough and resilient.
Are they a durable as a Howard Clark L-6 Banite? Perhaps not, but they are not 6K either.

I kept one of the cheaper models, a practical plus, in the dojo for students or guests who were new to tameshigiri. It was used by some very inept guests who figured if they were high level black belts in say Okinawan Kobudo or Karate, surely they could step right up and be proficient with the Japanese sword. Not so, like anything else it takes practice to become proficient.

That old practical plus cut and cut, enduring decades of poor technique and abuse while never bending or suffering any damage other than a few scratches. For a lower end sword price wise, I would highly recommend them.
The shinogi zukuri raptor might be more to my taste than the others, at least in the pictures the handle is not as much a axe handle as in the others. I know a seller who has all of raptors and other Hanwei katana's in stock. I should visit him and handle those.

Back