choosing a new SAK

Normally I like to carry a multitool paired with a locking folder; lately, a LM Surge or Vic Spirit combined with a Spyderco Native. The problem is that sometimes this sort of combo is a cumbersome overkill, especially in work attire. Plus, if I carry only the folder, I feel underequipped. The Surge is a brick of a tool, which I only strap on if I know I'm going to really be needing it. The Spirit is a great multi, but I hate having that blunt, chisel ground, serrated blade as my only knife blade (though I have never actually had a problem using it).

I have decided to try one of the locking SAKs as an edc solution, so that I can have a good, locking blade plus a few other useful implements without feeling like I'm hauling around a tool chest. I have checked out the highly rated Feline Vet site and I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Forester
Outrider
Rucksak
Trekker

I intend to try one of these for an edc that is also suitable for camping and hiking. I'm leaning towards the Outrider because it has scissors, which I've always found useful. However, it might be a little "busy" with its extra implements. These knives are so similar that I'm really splitting hairs here - but that's part of the fun! Maybe you all could give me some feedback before I order one.

Ive never actually owned one of those, but the Trekker has been on my "interested" list for some time now. Choose the one that has the best implements for you.

Foilist said:
...I have checked out the highly rated Feline Vet site and I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Forester
Outrider
Rucksak
Trekker

I actually prefer one that you don't list there: the One-Hand Fireman. It has a nice selection of tools (no scissors, but I also carry a Victorinox Director, which has small scissors) and it has a corskscrew, which I like because I carry a Vic mini screwdriver in the corkscrew (I can explain further if you don't understand that). I didn't think originally that I would use the "belt cutter" rescue blade but in fact I like it a lot for a wide variety of tasks. Paired with the new swivel-clip Vic belt pouch , it makes a very nice EDC knife.

Whichever one you chose, you won't be sorry!

- Tim

Foilist said:
I intend to try one of these for an edc that is also suitable for camping and hiking. I'm leaning towards the Outrider because it has scissors, which I've always found useful. However, it might be a little "busy" with its extra implements. These knives are so similar that I'm really splitting hairs here - but that's part of the fun! Maybe you all could give me some feedback before I order one.

But that's the fun about SAKs - hair-splitting can make the difference between a faithful EDC to one that's left in the drawer.

If you use scissors - then get the one with scissors -
the one layer difference from the other models you list is nothing -
if you get any of them instead and NEED the scissors.....

The Outrider is the big locking version of the very popular Victorinox Huntsman

"Plus" model shown with the extra ballpen and Pin in the handles and the mini jeweller's screwdriver stored in the corkscrew.

This is a great configuration - the woodsaw is surprisingly good - and an essential outdoors/survival item.

You've already justified the scissors......

How do you intend to carry this knife? In pocket or on a belt pouch?

If in a belt pouch may I suggest also looking at -

The Hercules (model #54751) which adds the pliers to the Outrider - the Victorinox SAK pliers are actually very useful and not flimsy at all - I challange anyone to bend the pliers with just bare hands (please see SAK Pliers - Wenger or Victorinox? ) .......

I say this despite the fact I prefer Minimalist SAKs (link)
but one should pick a SAK by what tools one actually uses - might want to take a look at this thread -
SAK - Purchase Rationale

Of all the 111mm large locking blade SAKs I actually like the WorkChamp

because it's not something I carry in pocket - but on a belt pouch and only when I know I'm going to need it.......

--
Vincent
http://UnknownVT2006.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT2005.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

I happen to be a BIG fan of the OH Trekker. My dress-clothes EDC is a Soldier, but I often wish it was one-handed and locking.

Weeeell... make it one handed and locking (and add a Phillips driver) and it's the OHT. Badabing, great knife. Add a pocket clip (not hard, couple of threads available on it) and nearly perfect. I need to get another one; I put wood scales on my last one and ended up trading it away for a fancy Benchmade. Now I miss the OHT.

I haven't owned a Fireman, but I just don't see needing the belt-cutter. Woodsaw much more useful, especially since you said you've got outdoorsy stuff in mind. Corkscrew, on the other hand, I have wished I had. Not often, but it's happened.

Rambling a little bit there. Point of story: get the One-Hand Trekker.

P.S. Search for a post by user "Lavan" about One-Hand Trekker (OHT). Hilarious.
Edit: Found 'em for you:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364953&highlight=trekker
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370018&highlight=victorinox

MSCantrell said:
...I haven't owned a Fireman, but I just don't see needing the belt-cutter. Woodsaw much more useful, especially since you said you've got outdoorsy stuff in mind. Corkscrew, on the other hand, I have wished I had. Not often, but it's happened....

Actually, the Fireman DOES have the woodsaw!

I originally got the Fireman because I wanted the corkscrew. After it arrived, I found that the belt-cutter is quite useful (and AMAZINGLY, dangerously sharp!)

I have little use for the back-mounted, T-handled, hard-to-use-in-small-spaces Phillips screwdriver on the Trekker.

- Tim

Any of the knives you've listed would give you good service.

My angle on this is to suggest you think about a non-locking SAK.
The Huntsman covers most bases as an EDC and for camping/hiking.
Perhaps a Climber as you like scissors? or the Camper with its saw?

I've used the locking and non-locking models and I find there is nothing
much that you can do with a locker that you can't do with a slipjoint, you
just need to use it the right way, and they are so light you almost forget they are in your pocket.

Get a locking model by all means, but EDC a Huntsman or Climber for a day or two as well, and feel the freedom from big bulky knives the small slipjoint can give you.

Mabye get a Huntsman or Climber next time? :thumbup:

It's funny you posted this now. I just went through this process myself. I looked at the Outrider, Tradesman, Atlas, Hercules, and Workchamp. I carried a heavy leatherman and a Locking knife, but wanted a lighter option. I didn't use the pliers on my person as I had some in my car and at work. But in a pinch I wanted some extra leverage (pliers), file, and a saw. My option with all that was only a Workchamp. Well, I wanted a smaller package. I opted for a Victorinox Craftsman and I carry an Umfaan (or hopefully a Mnandi soon) for a lock blade. So far it's worked for me! I hook the Craftsman on top of my jeans pocket. Sure I don't like the Philips on the bottom but I remember: What I carry all the time only is used when I'm in a bind. Then it will work. This is on line with jacknife. I like it!

000_0432.jpg

000_0429.jpg

It came on the end of a pocket watch. I wish I could find a place to just buy the hook! MAN does it come in handy!

tcolling said:
Actually, the Fireman DOES have the woodsaw!

Oops! My mistake! So the Fireman is one layer thicker than the Trekker?

That must be why I decided against it way back when. Thanks for the correction.

MSCantrell said:
Oops! My mistake! So the Fireman is one layer thicker than the Trekker?

That must be why I decided against it way back when. Thanks for the correction.

Yes, it is. However, the Fireman has a corkscrew instead of the silly t-bone Phillips on the Trekker, which is why I chose the OH Fireman.

- Tim

I'd personally go for the Outrider, if you have no intention of also carrying a higher quality locking folder. Gotta' have those scissors. The Outrider should come in about 2.5 ounces lighter than your Spirit. That's a pretty significant amount. Keep in mind that those 110mm SAKs really need a belt sheath.

I love this sheath. Very well made.
http://www.swiss-knife.com/asp/detail.asp?lan=EN&shop=SK&code=4.0538
4.0538.jpg

If you'll be carrying a locker also, save yourself a ton of bulk and do the Huntsman. The Huntsman is my all-time favorite SAK for outdoor use. I personally find the medium and small blades to be much more useful than the single large blade of the 110mm locking SAKs.

The basic 91mm SAKs hang into the pocket very well, when attached to something like this:

http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_keyper.htm
1703_01.jpg

Thanks for the continued suggestions. Remember, I'm considering a 111mm locking SAK as an alternative to carrying both a multi tool AND a good folder for those times when I just don't want to be carrying around both. As I mentioned, I have an old Huntsman, which was my only knife for years (I got it when I was 12 in 1983, and it wasn't until my late 20's that I started acquiring other knives and tools). It still gets some pocket time, but I keep feeling the need (okay, honestly, the unnecessary desire) for something more robust than a regular SAK, but not as heavy duty as a pliers-based multi tool, and with a bit more versatility than a locking folder. The 111mm SAKs seem to fit this in between spot, and they're cheap enough to try one out. If I find that it's not doing it for me, I can always stash it in one of the vehicles or give it away as a gift.

Excuse me a moment while I go buy an Outrider and sheath . . .

Sounds like a good choice! Let us know how you like it. Please tell me how far the sheath sticks out too. Thanks.

Back