Choosing between ESEE Xancudo and White River Backpacker…

JWright214

Gold Member
I’m debating picking up one or the other and would like to hear some opinions, preferences, etc. This would be general edc use, nothing crazy or specific. They are about the same size, same steel, similar price point, etc. I’m admittedly a fan of ESEE so I lean towards the Xancudo at the moment.

xancudo for not having a crowned spine. Any moderately hard use made me feel like I was going to slip out on the backpacker.

Both are great options tho I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with either

Good to know. I actually wondered about that myself when looking at them both. Thanks for the input.

White River vote here.

Only one reason. My hands are smallish and it fits so well in hand. Even if I'm wearing light gloves.

Just curious, what is it that you like better about the backpacker? Is it just the feel in hand, better cutter, better edge retention, all the above, something else?
Better ergonomics for me and quality just feels better.

Obligatory pics.

fbe6NOX.jpeg

lXZWQyX.jpeg

Just curious, what is it that you like better about the backpacker? Is it just the feel in hand, better cutter, better edge retention, all the above, something else?
Thinner profile, sharper tip, more food prep friendly, it's like a miniature chef knife.
not to mention no halloween colored handle

I own both, actually own two backpackers. I’d go with the White River. Ergonomics and choice of handle material make the Backpacker my choice

For me it's the White River all day any day. The White River is far better ergonomically, I never could handle the Xancudo comfortably. The White River is a much better cutter too.

I carried an Izula for several years and then bought a Backpacker just like the one in 91backpacker's photos.
The Backpacker feels better in the hand, more precise due to the shape. That's the one I still carry.
They both cut stuff, as a practical matter, and either works for my needs.
Buy the one you think you'll be most happy with.

Back