Chopper - WIP + a folder. UPDATE CHOPPER FINISHED!

I like the radiused look better than the hard corners and I think it will feel a lot better in hand, especially if it's being used for more than just a quick cut. It is coming together very nicely!

I've thought about doing a friction folder, I've always been intrigued by them.

Thanks for the pics you post, it's always fun to watch the progress shots!

I like the radiused look better than the hard corners and I think it will feel a lot better in hand, especially if it's being used for more than just a quick cut. It is coming together very nicely!

I've thought about doing a friction folder, I've always been intrigued by them.

Thanks for the pics you post, it's always fun to watch the progress shots!

Thanks for the vote of confidence amcardon.

Yesterday i sanded up the handle a bit and hand rubbed the blade up to 320#. Today i made a brass thumb stud and attached it. Tell me what you think about the brass. I'm not sure wether it looks right being the only thing brass. Brass always looks godo with dark timber though. I thought it'd be alright since the Ti isn't completly silver either.

61443899.jpg

47108849.jpg

12740770.jpg

27030969.jpg

Tim,
That folder is looking nice, chopper too. Really nice. :D

The brass does draw your eye, but I'm a big fan of brass and wood so I like it.

Tim,
I hadn't seen the progress on this one in a while. That folder looks great buddy!!:thumbup: Very nice work with the fit and finish. I'm impressed!

Thanks daniel, thanks jonny.

Memphis, it hasn't been heat treated yet. So no, you haven't miss it. Sorry. Everything takes longer in australia :D

Tiiim that looks great, very clean! Tackling a folder seems like a huge undertaking to me, you give me hope.

Tiiim that looks great, very clean! Tackling a folder seems like a huge undertaking to me, you give me hope.

it's a whole lot more thinking than a fixed blade but it's very rewarding too.

Cool...can't wait to see it finished. Looks very impressive!

Thanks memphis. I can't wait to test it out.

Tiiiiiiiiiiiim, that is very nice and classic looking. Why the gap in the second liner on the lock side?

It's a stuff up really. it made sense in my head at the time but when I had done it I though "why the hell did I do that?"

Woohoo. Chopper and folder came back from HT this afternoon (along with a couple of others).

Back to the chopper:

Fresh from HT -

88412122.jpg

I had no idea what i was doing but i dove into grinding the convex edge with a 120# belt - Seemed to turn out ok -
36834326.jpg

Here's how it looks at the moment. I've been using one of the little easy lap diamond rods but it seems to be taking for AGES. It's got a bit of an edge but i wouldn't call it sharp. Anyone got any suggestions to speed this up a bit? -

52517884.jpg

63430221.jpg

Nice work all round. :thumbup:

Are you going to keep the brass thumb stud on the folder? I can't help but think it looks out of place on that knife.

It could be the photos, but the edge looks way too thick. Grind it up a bit higher.

A convex edge should just round up and disappear into the bevels, and not produce such a steep angle and sharply delineated edge.

It could be the photos, but the edge looks way too thick. Grind it up a bit higher.

A convex edge should just round up and disappear into the bevels, and not produce such a steep angle and sharply delineated edge.

You were right Stacy. I picked up quite a few tips in my "sharpening a convex edge" thread. Thanks everyone.

So i got stuck in on the grinder and thinned out that edge. Getting a nice burr all the way along.

41858311.jpg

Sorry, they're not very good photos. It was hard to get a shot
17644250.jpg

It's taken quite a good edge just with 150# the problem is now getting all the grinder wheels marks out. I've dropped back to 80# to try get them out.

51572637.jpg

This is what i ended up with for sharpening/sanding the re-curve and convex edge.
13154690.jpg

I sanded it up from 80# to 400# sanding the edge with the foam pad, then the whole thing horizonatally. After 400# I just sanded the edge all the way to 2000# which produced a hair shaving edge.

I then sanded the whole thing up horizonatally with 400#. but i taped up the very edge so i didn't risk dulling it off.

47786802.jpg

97583684.jpg

49861070.jpg

59929713.jpg

53082538.jpg

Thanks for the vote of confidence amcardon.

Yesterday i sanded up the handle a bit and hand rubbed the blade up to 320#. Today i made a brass thumb stud and attached it. Tell me what you think about the brass. I'm not sure wether it looks right being the only thing brass. Brass always looks godo with dark timber though. I thought it'd be alright since the Ti isn't completly silver either.

61443899.jpg

A thought from another thread. Try getting all the screw heads aligned the same direction. Ever so slightly make the holes deeper to allow the screws to turn just a little bit more. Likewise, just a little bit of superglue in the hole prevents it from going in so deep, then you can sand the top of the head a little for depth.

Can't wait to see the large blade all finished up. Great work, hard to believe it's only your third or so blade! Very nice work indeed.

A thought from another thread. Try getting all the screw heads aligned the same direction. Ever so slightly make the holes deeper to allow the screws to turn just a little bit more. Likewise, just a little bit of superglue in the hole prevents it from going in so deep, then you can sand the top of the head a little for depth.

Yeah good idea. Ill get to all that finishing stuff later.

Can't wait to see the large blade all finished up. Great work, hard to believe it's only your third or so blade! Very nice work indeed.

Thanks tyson. I can't wait to swing it into a tree. Probably more like my 5th by the time its finished. I've ground more than 5 before this one I think. I was just more excited to finish this one.

Back