~ChopSticknife~

Recently I aquired a knife...(sorta like.."Once Upon a time"..)

The knife and sheath have an OAL of 14" the material both the sheath and knife handle are either highly carved bone or ivory (I have no clue as how to tell the difference- I suspect it's bone)included in the sheath is a pair of carved chop sticks. I'm told it's Tibetian..it's sorta like a Tibetian BoyScout Knife with out the tweazers..I'd have posted a photo but the one I have I'm told is to large for this forum but it emails well.

Any help you can give me on what it is and what it may be worth is greatly appreciated.

AzPete
etepza@netscape.net

this type of knife (from your general description) is still made and used today. but majority of those you can find in mainstream markets are for tourists. you won't find them carried on-person in cities, but if you go off the beaten path, you'll still see them.

When I was travelling in western China, I saw them being carried. Based on our location, (in the middle of nowhere, practically), I would assume the owner carry it for use since there was really no one to show it off to. I wasn't able to find any copies in a store that weren't touristy though.

it is tibetan/mongolian in origin, with the chopsticks being influences from central china, carry a knife and eating utensil all in one. there are several copies in museums that I've seen.

There are always quite a few of this type of knife on eBay. The modern ones sell for under $5.00 usually, but some of the fancier ones sell for up to $40.00. The antique ones sell for over $100.00.

Are there slots in the scale to insert the chopsticks?

Try posting those pics again please.

Are there slots in the scale to insert the chopsticks?

Try posting those pics again please.
Unlike people, digital pictures do not get smaller with age. Not only that but the person is not (currently) a paid member, which means he can't ask for a valuation, and we shouldn't offer a speculation on said value.

Back