Chris and nyefmaker...Thank You for my "new" Zaan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, folks, I've been complaining, on this forum, for well over a year because I cannot unlock the blade on my Dec 27, 2010 Zaan. I do, apparently, have a weak thumb. It affects only a small percentage of Zaan owners, from what I've read here in the past.
It was my very first CRK and my least-used. It sat in the safe for much of the 16 months that I've owned it, and I've carried large Sebbies instead.
Not long ago, I was notified by our well-informed friend and CRK aficionado, nyefmaker, that there is a newer model Zaan that has addressed (and fixed) this problem. He even found one (for sale) and made it available for me...in his place.
Thanks, Friend!

My "old" pre-LBS titanium scale had a constant bevel (~45 deg) down to the lockbar, for most of the 0.150" scale thickness.
The new (LBS-model) scale design chops off much of the bevel (straight down) at half-way depth through the scale thickness. This operation removes much of the beveled scale edge, so that it no longer impedes thumb access to the lockbar. Simple, but it works.
I am really pleased. My New-to-me LBS Zaan, bd July 27, 2012, has an approximate effective 50% increase in surface area, available for thumb contact, on the lockbar. The lockbar itself does not appear to have been changed dramatically, although the "nail-nick" length has been reduced by 0.100" on the newer lockbar.

This new engineering change has fixed my problem of unlocking.
It's in my pocket now, and will be there for quite a while.
Thank you, Chris Reeve, and your fine staff.
Your 2013 Blade Show award: Manufacture Quality: Chris Reeve...is no surprise.

Here are several comparative pics of the two Zaan designs, concentrating only on the lockblade.

Sonnydaze

Glad You found one that works for you! I've been wanting to add a zaan to the collection.

I am so glad your happy with it and so glad that you find it much easier to open. The original is tougher I admit, but the newer version to me, and now you as well as others is much better. I am glad that everything with the sale went as it did so it made it to Your doorstep. I know it will be thoroughly enjoyed there. Take Care my friend and use it well...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back