Chris Reeve Destrution Test On Youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for helping out by trolling, Rolf. We don't need a circus atmosphere here. The topic is heated enough.

Thank I get smarter and smarter - now I know what knife mean!

However there is certain trend in knife industry marketing - Tough, Survival, Indestructible knives. Knives wich may be used for chopping batoning etc. So if Grean Beret is knife for cutting only - it should be mentioned somehow - not to use it in survival situation - only for cutting. Same for that project - cutting only.

Because due to positioning of those products on the market people acually expect them to do chopping, batoning and other thisngs. And there are knives which may stand thos tasks easy - see Noss4 tests.

Now his tests are formal, all knives are put in same situations and exposes their properties. Fact that it destroys them - because this is crash test, destruction test, test to see at which point knives will fail and what to expect from them.

This is more valuable then edge retention, because if someone bet their life in survival situation on one ot that survival knife - he should know what to expect based on real experience not some marketing drones writings!

I am pretty sure that Noss4 tests will save someone life, if at least one life will be saved - then it is way more valuable then all other tests around.

Thanks, Vassili.

The thing is, why on earth would anyone do most any of the tests performed in a survival situation? Batoning and chopping through wood, sure, but the rest of the tests are hyperbole. The knife performed fine on the batoning and chopping.

The thing is, why on earth would anyone do most any of the tests performed in a survival situation?

Grandstanding.

Any tests, even hard-use tests, of normal functions show up on Wilderness & Survival Skills. Done by people actually expert or interested in the skills needed.

Sorry, Esav. This topic gets soo old. CRK makes a dang good FB. Most folks will not do what Noss does. If you're gonna Beat a knife, Vasilli is correct, get a Busse with infi.

This sort of information does not need to be precisely quantified in order to be useful. Of course it is of limited use - even Noss does not seem to be disputing that.

If you don't think the use environment is relevant, then ignore it!

I wanna know how he acquires these knives. Are they given to him from the makers?, by people that have bought them and wanna see what they can do?, are they bought by him with his own money?, and if thats the case, then let me know what kind of job you have that pays you enough money that you can afford to buy expensive knives just to destroy them.

I wanna know if there hiring:)

... I know I base ALL of my opinions about truth in life from people wearing hockey masks and coveralls- its part of what I look for when reading an individual for credibility.

Maybe the military folk you know are too dumb to know what a knife is, too... but none of the ones I've met and known were dumb enough to use a knife to hit cinder blocks for anything other than marketing purposes - they don't use blasting caps for toothbrushes, or any other tool with an OBVIOUS purpose for anything other than its intended use... maybe noss4 should see what other devices he can come up with that will serve absurd dual uses. Like radial tires for mouthwash, or old rusty bailing wire for shoelaces!

I used to think blowing stuff up was fun, too... then I got into junior high school. I'm pretty sure I didn't confuse it with scientific method, even then. nozh2002 and noss4, you were meant for each other...

If there's anyone here that thinks this has been a completely offensive response, good on ya, but what did you expect? This thread (and those just like them) prove just how some will succumb to the lowest common denominator, using logical fallacy to propagate their baseless and uninformed views.

Normally I don't respond to this garbage, but for whatever reason I found this one amusing!

If you don't think the use environment is relevant, then ignore it!

I resent the aura of infallibility that grows up around this sort of slamming that can impact the reputation of whichever company someone wants to go after.

It has no measurable effect on CRK's bottom line but it does deprive impressionable newbies of choices. That's not Bladeforum's policy. We get to fight it out here. Telling me to ignore what I personally don't like is telling me to abandon the battlefield to an incompetent enemy. Why don't you tell him to stop posting videos that people don't agree with? :)

The thing is, why on earth would anyone do most any of the tests performed in a survival situation? Batoning and chopping through wood, sure, but the rest of the tests are hyperbole. The knife performed fine on the batoning and chopping.

I have real survival story from Russian North - two gust were cought in gravel slide in the side of the mountans. Both stick knives into ground as an anchors. One has Nimravis, another one some Russian uzhosnah. First one did the job and guy make his way back to the camp himself, other one fail and his owner spend about 6 month in the hospital after number of bones were broken...

So if you keep your Green Beret in a shelf under glass - there is no point to have all those tests. If you are out on a field - then knowing what to expect from your tool may be very important for survival.

Thanks, Vassili.

Last edited:
I wanna know how he acquires these knives. Are they given to him from the makers?, by people that have bought them and wanna see what they can do?, are they bought by him with his own money?, and if thats the case, then let me know what kind of job you have that pays you enough money that you can afford to buy expensive knives just to destroy them.

I wanna know if there hiring:)

I doubt the makers give knives to him. The tests he conducts can be done by any body with very little equipment. Why send the knives to him when the makers can conduct similar tests themselves?

Esav Benyamin: Then read the ABS tests since you won't take my word for it.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ABS_JSTest.htm

Looks pretty scientific doesn't it ? NOT. You will notice how they apply all kinds of complicated math formulas for determining if a smith passed or not. Or you may notice how they use very expensive testing machines in determining if a smith passed or not and the knife is up to their standards.

My tests are hard stress tests not user tests. I do field tests for this. I put a lot of stress on the blades so I can say with a high degree of certainty how tough a blade is or not. Simple wood chopping tests and wood batoning tests are not enough by themselves at least not for me.

As for the ABS tests why place a knife in the vice and flex it 90 degrees ? You
wouldn't do that in the outdoors more then likely but it is their test for deterring if a knife is tough or not.

" . The applicant will then bend the blade ninety (90) degrees. The supervising Master Smith will signal the applicant when the ninety (90) degree angle has been reached. The blade is allowed to crack at the edge on bending but not beyond approximately two thirds (2/3rds) the width of the blade. However, if any part of the blade chips or any part of the blade or tang breaks off, the applicant fails. Because of the many variables in the size, geometry, and temper line of the blade, the Master Smith using his/her judgment, shall determine if the extent or location of the fracture line is acceptable. The decision of the Master Smith is final."

from the ABS web site.

It looks scientific doesn't it ? They are simple do and observe tests.

Vassili, I think we will have to disagree here. I do agree that testing to destruction is absolutely necessary for any survival-rated knife. I don't think that what Noss4 does qualifies.

I can take a slege hammer to a car sitting in a parking lot and total it. That tells me nothing about how well it would have protected its passengers in a highway crash.

... I know I base ALL of my opinions about truth in life from people wearing hockey masks and coveralls- its part of what I look for when reading an individual for credibility.

Maybe the military folk you know are too dumb to know what a knife is, too... but none of the ones I've met and known were dumb enough to use a knife to hit cinder blocks for anything other than marketing purposes - they don't use blasting caps for toothbrushes, or any other tool with an OBVIOUS purpose for anything other than its intended use... maybe noss4 should see what other devices he can come up with that will serve absurd dual uses. Like radial tires for mouthwash, or old rusty bailing wire for shoelaces!

I used to think blowing stuff up was fun, too... then I got into junior high school. I'm pretty sure I didn't confuse it with scientific method, even then. nozh2002 and noss4, you were meant for each other...

If there's anyone here that thinks this has been a completely offensive response, good on ya, but what did you expect? This thread (and those just like them) prove just how some will succumb to the lowest common denominator, using logical fallacy to propagate their baseless and uninformed views.

Normally I don't respond to this garbage, but for whatever reason I found this one amusing!

This hockey mask argument seem to me kind of too much. This is personal attack which indicates that you do not have anything else but turn it to this kind of thing.

CR can not stand this tests while others can. Only way to dismiss this - have your own tests which shows opposite - personal attack - like this hockey mask thingy you just came up with, questining his credibility and overall tone of you post - is not an answer for intellegent discussion. Do not turn it into garbage.

Thanks, Vassili.

I'm not interested in the ABS tests. The ABS is a private organization setting its own standards for its own membership levels. And they argue about them themselves.

I doubt the makers give knives to him. The tests he conducts can be done by any body with very little equipment. Why send the knives to him when the makers can conduct similar tests themselves?

Actually a brave one has. Busse combat also Rat cutlery is supposed to send me a few knives also. Most I have bought in the past but many knives are now donated by people of the knife knife consuming public. They have questions and they are sent to me to help them find the answers they seek.

That ABS test is not math either. Sure it has numbers, woop dee doo, but again there are no fixed variables beyond the 90 degree bend, which is checked by eye. It's not even measured with an angle tool.

Subject the same amount of force in the same spot for a different knives and then plot the results and compare. That is math.

If some knives pass that test and some fail, increase the force and run the tests again. Plot those results and compare it with the knives that passed. That is math.

Once all knives fail on that particular spot, grab the same knives and select a different spot and start the test again at lower force. Those knives that passed that test go on to the next battery of tests where the force is increased. THAT is math.

If you wanted to conduct an even better test, you'd conduct either a creep or stress-relaxation test. I won't go into those specifics, since you don't have that type of equipment to conduct those tests.

NONE of your tests have any math whatsoever. Have fun destroying knives.

Oh, what qualifications do I have to quantify that your tests basically are nothing more than a stunt? I'm a kinesiologist and we conduct these tests quite regularly on cadaver tissue. The same machines for testing metal are used in our field (with modifications for tissue of course). Actually, I think the application for such machines came from studying human tissue first before someone realized of the applications in other industries such as metalworking.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in the ABS tests. The ABS is a private organization setting its own standards for its own membership levels. And they argue about them themselves.

Well well, This proves my point if you don't agree with them a major knife organization. Then you will never agree with anyones tests.

Sorry but not every blade can come out on top during tests. Your looking for
biased tests only it seems.

No more point in talking with you about this any more. Live in a fantasy world if it makes you happy. :)

Last edited:
The tests seem reasonably scientific within their parameters (how long does it take for one man, using a fairly standard routine of tasks, to destroy a knife), though not necessarily repeatable, for several reasons.

Instead of making apologies for knives marketed as extremely durable, which may or may not live up to the hype, why not just face the evidence? Some knives are easier to destroy than others. Price, name, reputation don't necessarily translate into absolute durability. I understand this can be a bitter pill to swallow. Judging from the tone and content of usual bladeforums critic, I have suspicion that most knife nuts don't really want to find out how their favorite brands hold up to such abuse.

One of the hallmarks of scientific evaluation is peer review. Yet few, if any, critics are keen on actually replicating the work of their peer in any fashion, let alone "scientifically". We have one set of data so far from Noss. I look forward to more data from different sources. Kudos to those makers who not only bill their knives as extreme use tools, but back them up when they fail, or even encourage such testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back