Chris reeve Sebenza 31 tanto blade

Hello everyone,
I am looking at a sebenza 31, but they only have a tanto blade version in stock. Is there a difference on the hollow grind between the different bladeshapes? Is the tanto thicker behind the edge?

The hollow grind is very similar to my other 31 which is an Insingo. I haven't measured the behind the edge thickness, but mine is quite sharp, especially after I stropped it a bit. It slices phone book paper as cleanly as the Insingo, if not better, and I'm a huge Insingo fan.

Of course the tanto tip itself is much more obtuse for rougher tasks or puncturing. If you like the tanto pattern, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

The hollow grind is the same across the Sebenza blade shapes. The tanto will have the least blade height, if that matters to you. It also stays quite consistent in behind the edge thickness along the main edge, whereas the drop point thickens up noticeably. Even the insingo gets slightly thicker toward the tip.

I'd say the tantos are the least popular, but I enjoy mine thoroughly. If it speaks to you, I can't think of any measurement or specification that should stop you from getting it.

At the moment they have a small sebenza drop point 31 in magnacut at knifeart.

I was deciding between insingo, drop point, and tanto. I was looking at the small sebenza 31 in magnacut specifically at dlt trading that is in stock currently. Ultimately, I did not like that the tip is much thicker on the tanto over the other two blade shapes. It is going to ultimately be more stout. The only area tantos suffer in majorly is cutting on a cutting board for food prep. Tantos can do pretty much everything other knives can do. In the end, I went with drop point over the tanto because drop points are a jack of all trades. You can always reblade it through CRK no matter what you do.

Despite the negative press about food prep, I maintain that the tanto makes a first rate steak knife.

Despite the negative press about food prep, I maintain that the tanto makes a first rate steak knife.
You can make anything work, and it’s not like a tanto won’t cut. A blade is a blade at the end of the day.

Well, thank you all for your input. As I live in Europe finding the right sebenza is very hard. Might just have to wait a few years for a different blade shape, as I do no "hard use" tasks in my life.

The hollow grind is the same across the Sebenza blade shapes. The tanto will have the least blade height, if that matters to you. It also stays quite consistent in behind the edge thickness along the main edge, whereas the drop point thickens up noticeably. Even the insingo gets slightly thicker toward the tip.

I'd say the tantos are the least popular, but I enjoy mine thoroughly. If it speaks to you, I can't think of any measurement or specification that should stop you from getting it.
I love my large tanto Inkosi, the grind style is fantastic
PXL_20231001_192126000.jpg

Back