Christian kukri Guy steals HI photos?

Sometimes its hard to have a discusian, if one doesnt know to whom comments are directed.

Indeed, personaly I havent done that, but as your comments are "Global" not directed to an individual, I feel obliged to point that out.

But Looking at his website about "Demonic cursed kukris" it would be hard to comment on it with any degree of factuality or honesty without pointing out he proclaims himself as a Christian.

I think theres a differance in that.

Namaste,
Spiral

just because im not specifying an individual doesnt mean im including everyone. ;)

Yes the "Demonic cursed Kukris" thing is rediculous for sure. BUT, labeling this crazyness as a feature of Christianity does nothing but show ignorance of our beliefs.

Some Germanic tribes used to tie people to Tilia trees with their own entrails. That was only practiced or rare occasion and by a few tribes. By your reasoning, it would be pertinent to mention this fact when refering to anyone from modern Germany. This yahoo is as much a Christian as those ancient barbarians are Germans.

"Christian" is as broad of a term as the words "European" or "asian". It refers a rediculously huge number of people and beliefs, just as the term "Asian" refers to dozens of different nations and sub cultures.

So when soemone says "I knew a Christian once. he was a hyporite/liar/fraud/slander of the month so i dont want anything to do with Christianity." It is EXACTLY like saying "I purchased something that was made in China and it was of low quality, so everything from any asian culture must be garbage."

So you see my friend, YOU are the one being global in your statements by taking the comments of an individual and attatching them to a blanket word like "Christian".

j...
Some Germanic tribes used to tie people to Tilia trees with their own entrails. That was only practiced or rare occasion and by a few tribes. By your reasoning, it would be pertinent to mention this fact when refering to anyone from modern Germany. This yahoo is as much a Christian as those ancient barbarians are Germans.

"Christian" is as broad of a term as the words "European" or "asian". It refers a rediculously huge number of people and beliefs, just as the term "Asian" refers to dozens of different nations and sub cultures....

I'm not familiar with the ancient Germanic tribes as tying people to Tilia trees with their entrails (ref.?), but it could well be. But, as a side note, 'Germanic' does not mean 'German'. The difference is actually clearer in German itself where 'deutsch' means 'German' and 'germanisch' means 'Germanic'. Germanic refers to the ancestors of not only modern day Germans, but also Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Icelanders, not to mention the English.

But I don't get your reference about 'This yahoo is as much a Christian as those ancient barbarians are Germans'. Certainly present-day Germans (and other Germanic peoples) have inherited a lot from their ancient ancestors. References to the 'barbarity' of the ancient Germanic tribes are rather biased (the early descriptions are Roman, later Christian). I suppose tying people to Tilia trees with their entrails is the barbarity you mean, but quite civilised people committ nasty acts all the time (Christians burned people at the stake, Romans crucified people etc., not to mention more modern examples of 'civilised peoples' committing atrocities...).

Anyway, I don't think 'Christian' is quite as broad of a term as 'Asian' - though I agree certainly it does include a lot of differing belief systems. But all Christians surely share a belief in Christ, and usually share a belief in Christ as the means of salvation.

And then a scholar said, "Speak of Talking."
And he answered, saying:
You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts;
And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart you live
in your lips, and sound is a diversion and a pastime.
And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered.
For thought is a bird of space, that in a cage of words many indeed
unfold its wings but cannot fly....

So when soemone says "I knew a Christian once. he was a hyporite/liar/fraud/slander of the month so i dont want anything to do with Christianity." It is EXACTLY like saying "I purchased something that was made in China and it was of low quality, so everything from any asian culture must be garbage."

So you see my friend, YOU are the one being global in your statements by taking the comments of an individual and attatching them to a blanket word like "Christian".

There was Nothing Global in my statement.;)

To use reversel of the others point as a debating ploy its still best to be accurate. :D You used a global analagy then said it shows my statement is Global.:D :D :D

I also accept Christians amongst my friends & family.

To reiterate.

Looking at his website about "Demonic cursed kukris" it would be hard to comment on it with any degree of factuality or honesty without pointing out he proclaims himself as a Christian.

And if you re read the entire thread you may see the point, that many others mentioned

His hypochrisy as a thief only matters as he labels himsealf a Christian.

just because im not specifying an individual doesnt mean im including everyone. ;) ".

That isnt what I said either.....I didnt think you were, as I started this thread & you object to the pointing out that the fellow was a Christian & a thief, It seemed possibly partly directed at me. so I replied, despite your following smoke & mirrors use of. "I didnt specify an individual."

Spiral

So, I am to assume my WW2 is a 'bad' knife?

Why Whats wrong with it? What is it? who made it? when?

Most WW2 issue kukris were very solidly built of good materials.

If any knife does whatever you want I wouldnt label it "bad"

More facts needed.

Spiral

Persecution is where you find it, folks. If your beliefs are modelled around what others may think about them, you may wish to consider why you hold them in the first place. There are better reasons to believe in something than that.

This guy who's worried about demons in his khuks is a little off his rocker. I don't think his faith caused that. (Whether he's using it to rationalize his own view of the world is another matter.)

I still don't understand how he expects to throw a khukuri accurately without a cho.

:thumbup:

Tom

And a thumbs up from me as well. All that you said is well spoken Ben!:thumbup: :D

My biggest problems with Christians is that once they find out I am of a different persuasion they keep trying to convert me using several different ploys one of which is, "Well you know the Bible says."
Well to me it doesn't matter what the Bible says because I just flat don't believe it is a holy work about God in general or period.
I do believe it is a good book of history to a point because archeology has proved that to a point.
I also believe it has some good points on how to live life but beyond that it is just another book to me.
If a Christian would just ask if I were a Christian or if I was interested and would take, "No." as an answer then I wouldn't have such a problem with then.
Another reason is that with the majority of Christians I have known they haven't changed since the days of Red Jacket when he spoke these words.... "

RED JACKET'S REPLY TO MISSIONARY CRAM AT BUFFALO, N.Y., 1805 (112)

After the missionary had done speaking, the Indians conferred together about two hours, by themselves, when they gave an answer by Red Jacket, which follows:
"Friend and brother, it was the will of the Great Spirit that we should meet together this day. He orders all things, and He has given us a fine day for our council. He has taken His garment from before the .sun, and caused it to shine with brightness upon us; our eyes are opened, that we see clearly; our ears are unstopped, that we have been able to hear distinctly the words that you have spoken; for all these favours we thank the Great Spirit, and Him only.
"Brother, this council fire was kindled by you; it was at your request that we came together at this time; we have listened with attention to what you have said; you requested us to speak our minds freely; this gives us great joy, for we now consider that we stand up - right before you, and can speak what we think; all have heard your voice, and all speak to you as one man; our minds are agreed.
"Brother, you say you want an answer to your talk, before you leave this place. It is right you should have one, as you are a great distance from home, and we do not wish to detain you; but we will first look back a little, and tell you what our fathers have told us, and what we have heard from the White people.
"Brother, listen to what we say. There was a time when our forefathers owned this great land. Their seats extended from the rising to the setting sun. The Great Spirit had made it for the use of Indians. He had created the buffalo, the deer, and other animals for food. He made the bear and the beaver, and their skins served us for clothing. He had scattered them over the country, and taught us how to take them. He had caused the earth to produce corn for bread.
"All this He had done for His Red children because He loved them. If we had any disputes about hunting grounds, they were generally settled without the shedding of much blood.
"But an evil day came upon us; your forefathers crossed the great waters, and landed on this island. Their numbers were small; they found friends, and not enemies; they told us they had fled from their own country for fear of wicked men, and come here to en joy their religion. They asked for a small seat; we took pity on them, granted their request, and they sat down amongst us; we gave them corn and meat; they gave us poison in return. [Spirituous liquor is alluded to, it is supposed.] The White people had now found our country, tidings were carried back, and more came amongst us; yet we did not fear them, we took them to be friends; they called us brothers; we believed them, and gave them a larger seat. At length their numbers had greatly increased; they wanted more land; they wanted our country. Our eyes were opened; and our minds became uneasy. Wars took place; Indians were hired to fight against Indians, and many of our people were destroyed. They also brought strong liquors among us; it was strong and powerful, and has slain thousands.
"Brother, our seats were once large, and your were very small; you have now become a great people, and we have scarcely a place left to spread our blankets; you have got our country, but are not satisfied; you want to force your religion upon us.
"Brother, continue to listen. You say that you are sent to instruct us how to worship the Great Spirit agreeably to His mind, and if we do not take hold of the religion which you White people teach, we shall be unhappy hereafter; you say that you are right, and we are lost; how do we know this to be true? We understand that your religion is written in a book; if it was intended for us as well as you, why has not the Great Spirit given it to us, and not only to us, but why did He not give to our forefathers the knowledge of that book, with the means of understanding it rightly? We only know what you tell us about it; how shall we know when to believe, being so often deceived by the White people?
"Brother. you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit; if there is but one religion, why do you White people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book?
"Brother, we do not understand these things; we are told that your religion was given to your forefathers, and has been handed down from father to son. We also have a religion which was given to our forefathers, and has been handed down to us, their children. We worship that way. It teaches us to be thankful for all the favours we receive; to love each other, and to be united; we never quarrel about religion.
"Brother, the Great Spirit has made us all; but He has made a great difference between His White and Red children; He has given us a different complexion and different customs; to you He has given the arts; to these He has not opened our eyes; we know these things to be true. Since He has made so great a difference between us in other things, why may we not conclude that He has given us a different religion according to our understanding? The Great Spirit does right; He knows what is best for His children; we are satisfied.
"Brother, we do not wish to destroy your religion, or take it from you. We want only to enjoy our own.
"Brother, you say you have not come to get our land or our money, but to enlighten our minds. I will now tell you that I have been at your meetings, and saw you collecting money from the meeting. I cannot tell what this money was intended for, but suppose it was for your minister, and if we should conform to your way of thinking, perhaps you may want some from us.
"Brother, we are told that you have been preaching to White people in this place; these people are our neighbours, we are acquainted with them; we will wait a little while and see what effect your preaching has upon them. If we find it does them good, makes them honest, and less disposed to cheat Indians, we will then consider again what you have said.
"Brother, you have now heard our answer to your talk, and this is all we have to say at present. As we are going to part, we will come and take you by the hand, and hope the Great Spirit will protect you on your journey, and return you safe to your friends."
The chiefs and others then drew near the missionary to take him by the hand; but he would not receive them, and hastily rising from his seat, said, that "there was no fellowship between the religion of God and the works of the Devil, and, therefore, could not join hands with them." Upon this being interpreted to them, "they smiled, and retired in a peaceable manner."

When I was searching for Red Jacket's speech I found an Interesting Site that I need to peruse further because from what little I have read about there it seems to ring true. much more so than usual when I find things pertaining to ndn belief and spirituality.:thumbup: :D :cool: This is an excerpt from the pages there....

" Tom Newcomb, my mountain guide in 1912 and 1914, was an old scout of the Miles campaign, who lived with the Sioux under Crazy Horse for some years in the early '70's. He said to me once (and not only said, but dictated for record):"
"I tell you I never saw more kindness or real Christianity anywhere. The poor, the sick, the aged, the widows and the orphans were always looked after first. Whenever we moved camp, someone took care that the widows' lodges were moved first and set up first. After every hunt, a good-sized chunk of meat was dropped at each door where it was most needed. I was treated like a brother; and I tell you I have never seen any community of church people that was as really truly Christians as that band of Indians."

I'm not familiar with the ancient Germanic tribes as tying people to Tilia trees with their entrails (ref.?), but it could well be. But, as a side note, 'Germanic' does not mean 'German'. The difference is actually clearer in German itself where 'deutsch' means 'German' and 'germanisch' means 'Germanic'. Germanic refers to the ancestors of not only modern day Germans, but also Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Icelanders, not to mention the English.
And not to mention "Franks. :D

[Q]uite civilised people committ nasty acts all the time (Christians burned people at the stake, Romans crucified people etc., not to mention more modern examples of 'civilised peoples' committing atrocities...).
I guess "civilized" varies in meaning. Civilization seems to be a thin layer over atavistic brutality, not always the same durability in all cultures and likely to wear through from time-to-time in all cultures.

Anyway, I don't think 'Christian' is quite as broad of a term as 'Asian' - though I agree certainly it does include a lot of differing belief systems. But all Christians surely share a belief in Christ, and usually share a belief in Christ as the means of salvation.
As I understand it, not all Christians agree on the path to salvation. Is it by belief in Christ alone or by good works or by a combination of both? Is Christ the sole intercessor to whom one must pray or is it Mary -- or both? Some self-designated Christians on AM radio when I was a kid claimed there was no Hell. Some said the Jews were going "up there" by virture of their role as a "special" people and some said they would burn in fire "down there." Is there a half-way sattion -- Purgatory? Some believe in a trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost. Some do not. Some believe the Angel Moroni led them to a new prophet of God and a new revelation. Did Christ come in peace or with a sword? Lots of range of belief -- and tolerance/appreciation of other beliefs -- amongst those calling themselves "Christian."

And Yvsa, as you probably know, it was the doctrine of Christianity that Christians have a duty to try convert others to their religion, to the exclusion of all others, that caused them to be viewed as subversive in early Imperial Rome.

And Yvsa, as you probably know, it was the doctrine of Christianity that Christians have a duty to try convert others to their religion, to the exclusion of all others, that caused them to be viewed as subversive in early Imperial Rome.

Fascinating Tom, I didnt know that.

Spiral

Lots of range of belief -- and tolerance/appreciation of other beliefs -- amongst those calling themselve "Christian."

Well said Tom.

Yea, I know but it would seem that one, "I'm not interested." said once over the period of time one knows someone would be sufficient.:rolleyes: :grumpy: :(
I've had some real good Christian friends over the years where saying I wasn't interested once was enough and they never brought it up again to me personally.:D

When you will worship only a single God in an empire that officially recognizes many gods, including the Emperor, that is bad enough. (Stubborn, stubborn Jews!)

When you go about trying to convince others not to worship the Devine Emperor/head of state/head of government, that is treason.

Im glad to see that someone gets it. Indeed the term 'Germanic' refers to many more groups than modern Germans. I am well aware of this. The term'Christian' refers to a dozen different protestant denominations, Adventist denominations, Catholics, Orthodox churches, and hundreds of smaller groups that most people have never heard of.

This is very similar to the way 'Germanic' refers to many distinct cultures; each having its own history and customs. While they may be labeled 'Christian', many of these groups hold different beliefs.

For example; All Christians agree that Hell exists, but they disagree on exactly what Hell is. Most protestant denominations believe it is a litteral location. Adventists denominations believe that Hell is an event I.E. the act of juddgement. Some other denominations believe it is a metafore for the wrath of God.

In the same way ancient Germanic practices and traditions have evolved into distinct cultures today.

As for the Tilia tree reference: I read some time ago of a single tribe whos tribal religion placed a great deal of significance on the Tilia tree (sometimes refered to as "lime", not to be confused with the citrus fruit). Those who caused damage to one of these sacred trees were executed in the manner described, perhaps allowing the tree to take some sort of vengence on its attacker. Im not sure where i remember that from, but it doesnt seem like to much of a stretch.

But I don't get your reference about 'This yahoo is as much a Christian as those ancient barbarians are Germans'. Certainly present-day Germans (and other Germanic peoples) have inherited a lot from their ancient ancestors. References to the 'barbarity' of the ancient Germanic tribes are rather biased (the early descriptions are Roman, later Christian). I suppose tying people to Tilia trees with their entrails is the barbarity you mean, but quite civilised people committ nasty acts all the time (Christians burned people at the stake, Romans crucified people etc., not to mention more modern examples of 'civilised peoples' committing atrocities...).

'Barbarian' here is used in a historical context, not as a commentary on social values. I have nothing against, and do even admire, many primitive cultures including those of ancient Europe. :)

Yes, that we do. But I think you see our great divercity makes it illogical and irresponsible to blame the whole for the actions of a single minority, or in this case the errant words of an individual. ;)

For what its worth I dont know of any denomination whos teachings follow all of the strange things this man says. THAT is what makes me think he is a fraud, or at best a member of a fringe group. ;)

There was Nothing Global in my statement.;)

To use reversel of the others point as a debating ploy its still best to be accurate. :D You used a global analagy then said it shows my statement is Global.:D :D :D

I also accept Christians amongst my friends & family.

To reiterate.

Looking at his website about "Demonic cursed kukris" it would be hard to comment on it with any degree of factuality or honesty without pointing out he proclaims himself as a Christian.

And if you re read the entire thread you may see the point, that many others mentioned

His hypochrisy as a thief only matters as he labels himsealf a Christian.

That isnt what I said either.....I didnt think you were, as I started this thread & you object to the pointing out that the fellow was a Christian & a thief, It seemed possibly partly directed at me. so I replied, despite your following smoke & mirrors use of. "I didnt specify an individual."

Spiral

*POOF* :D

Making a statement about a segment of society, (Those with a grudge agaisnt Christianity) is neither global, as it does not include all of society, nor is it specific due to its coverage of a significant portion. No smoke, no mirrors, no intended desception. Please ask if i am not being clear.

I will still engage in a friendly debate over the relevance of this mans "beliefs". Our scriptures are very clear that God controlls the world. Curses and Hexes make their own rules, therefore by our system of beliefs they can not exist. :D

Thus you see my objection. If Hes a Christian he neither believes in curses not believes that he can be effected by them. If he is advertising "Demon cursed Kukris' then he either believes in them or he is a liar. If he believes in them then he isnt following his own belief system. If he is a liar he is breaking his own belief system.

The only logical option is that he is not a Christian, or that he has forsaken his beliefs in favor of money.

The logical and objective option (from an outsider's point of view anyway) is perhaps he might say the same about you because you do not follow his particular interpretation of what a "True Christian" might be.

What you have clarified is he is not a "True Christian" by your definition.

Which is fine.

If you're not using the bible as a club to hammer others into conforming to your world view, I have no problem with you.

Yvsa,

Your post broke my heart almost, because I know that such things have happened so many times..

This is one reason I believe we Christians are commanded to be ready to give an answer, when asked about our hope, instead of just constantly spouting off. Our actions often belie the words of the Bible we profess.

I often feel ashamed that my life compels so little inquiry.

I do believe there is a time and place to just declare the truth, (most often on a Sunday morning.)but our general practice should be to witness with our lives, and hope we get asked about what makes us the way we are.

As for those who betray people with wicked and unrighteous deeds,

"many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord... and I will say to them, depart from me, you who work iniquity."

How can such outrage and hurt be overcome? The Bible also says that "love is as strong as death."

yet for all the sad history of a twisted and corrupted witness that masquerades as "Christianity", I will still, unworthily, gladly bear the name of Christ.

Tom

just to clarify,

'civilized' derives from the latin word for 'city' and thus originally meant that civilized people lived in cities. had no connotations about any moral superiority. we still use the word 'civil', as in 'civil government', 'civic center', etc. in it's proper sense. i blame the english for making the other definition more prevalent. tho we do have a prejudice against nomadic peoples like the gypsies (called 'travellers' in the UK) who will not settle in one place.

'barbarian' also meant those who could not speak proper latin or greek, and was an insulting joke that they sounded like bleeting sheep, going 'bar-bar-bar.....'

so, all of us who live out in the country are un-civilized, and most of us who do not speak proper latin (or greek) are barbarians.

thus when my ex called me an uncivilized barbarian, she was correct.

Back