Recommendation? Christmas help with a Survival knife

I have never used one but I see guys carry a flexible saw blade that rolls up like a thin cable and fits easily into a pocket. Has rings on each end. If they work they seem way more practical than a saw blade on a SAK.
They work, but again, take lots of energy to cut through modest sized limbs and if you don't have gloves on, you're going to pay the price with your fingers on the thin metal rings.

I have never used one but I see guys carry a flexible saw blade that rolls up like a thin cable and fits easily into a pocket. Has rings on each end. If they work they seem way more practical than a saw blade on a SAK.

I haven't used one either. I have a cheap one, but I don't imagine it would last too long. You can take down a decent sized tree in short order with an SAK saw, but it is very strenuous. I think Victorinox has fantastic little saws, and they're on the knife. It's a nice little backup. I'll have to try my cheap chain but it looks like it will be harder and like Hale said, less comfortable.

The problem of saw is that I don't know how I can get it back to work again if it dulls, any experience?
For axe/hatchet, if I carry a proper sharpener, I know I can get it back at least to basic function.

However, I really like the portability of a folding saw.

I guess we need more clarification from the OP on what their definition of "survival" will be for the recipient of the gift.

In this thread we've now introduced packs, saws, axes, and machetes. The OP asked about which knife.

If I'm on a hike, I can pack all sorts of gear that can help me live days, or even weeks in the wild if needed. Then again, most people rarely hike into the wild and instead choose trails and designated hiking areas. Not much needed here in the way of survival "gear".
If I'm alone and treading new ground, again, say, in the Rockies and venturing off the beaten path for miles to pursue elk and mule deer, then my kit (and knives) would be completely different. I've done several days in the wild with just a knife. My choice at the time was the ESEE Junglas. I cut poles for shelter with it. Dug Holes. Prepped wood for a fire, etc.

The problem of saw is that I don't know how I can get it back to work again if it dulls, any experience?
For axe/hatchet, if I carry a proper sharpener, I know I can get it back at least to basic function.

In the wilderness under survival conditions, any rock will suffice to get a knife edge or axe edge back to a serviceable condition to use.

Saws are sharpened with files. Seeing as they're used on wood they won't suddenly go dull on you without warning.

It's not a true survival knife I'd say a good all around or Bushcraft knife it's for my oldest son who is 14 it will be for everything from skinning and gutting deer to something I started as a kid and go in a big block of woods with the basics and to snare or trap all your food for a week during the summer and a couple weekends during the fall and winter while working on a long-term shelter for training in case it actually ever happens

Last edited:
No need to rub it in.... my wife kept telling me we were buying gifts for "others"
right, I apologize... but worth waiting if not urgently need. Amazon changes price like crazy...

Even at $80 it's great price, making a package with a good field sharpener, right at $100!

It's not a true survival knife I'd say a good all around or Bushcraft knife it's for my oldest son who is 14 it will be for everything from skinning and gutting deer to something I started as a kid and go in a big block of woods with the basics and to snare or trap all your food for a week during the summer and a couple weekends during the fall and winter while working on a long-term shelter for training in case it actually ever happens
What about CS Bushman? Or SRK?

They seem to be good for that purpose, and they aren't overy expensive.

I'd go for a Mora Kansbol, considered by many to be the best Mora of all - more versatile than the Garberg which is mostly a wood splitter. Way more slicey so better for food prep, gutting, and just buttering sandwiches. Also less costly, it leaves some budget for other stuff like a decent little saw (say a Silky F170), the latter being extremely useful for things like shelter building. For a 14-year old I'd not go for a very large killer blade, best educate him to the use of the knife as a utility tool.
If you want something not Mora but similar, the Hultafors OK4 is a nice compact belt knife, very tough (SK5 tool steel), black finished blade, sheath with a firesteel loop (get him a fitting firesteel with it and you will have a real 'survival' package). Also it won't scare other people when he is out in the woods. Lots of money left for some additional items to get him a crafty kit. Maybe a Victorinox Farmer to accompany the fixed blade (great awl, sawblade, alox finish). Between the Vic, the OK4 and a firesteel he'd be able to survive being dropped in the Canadian wilderness like in 'Hatchet'... ;-)

For an all-around bushcraft knife, I like a puukko. My Kellam Puukko is a pretty sweet deal for the money. I got mine for right around $65. Great utility knife and wood carver.
IMG-6771.jpg

For a larger knife, I'll second a Skrama. It's a pretty versatile big blade that is a great chopper and also allows for pretty fine work whittling. For pocketable utility, I like the Mini Skrama.
IMG-6681.jpg

Each of these are solid tools made of good materials for a reasonable price. They should hold up to many years of hard work.

I would also second the Skrama and any of the other Varusteleka Terava blades (Jaakkaripuukko 110, 140, mini puukko or mini skrama etc.) for anyone looking for a sub-100 dollar blade that is tough, will do the job and more, but the OP seems to be in the USA and it's for Christmas which is less than 3 weeks. The Fins tend to be fast with international delivery, but it is a risk, which is why I suggested a Mora Kansbol, also a very good and affordable Scandinavian-made blade but one that can be found in the US (being in Europe I am not in the position to give any advice on US-made blades). For a 14-year old I think a Skrama would be a bit over the top. For his dad however... LOL. Especially if they have a lot of delimbing jobs around the place. I use mine a lot for that and always have to keep myself in check to not burst into evil laughter as branches fly off everywhere with a single stroke.
I did recently see a video on the Varusteleka FB page showing a visit to the Laurin Metalli factory where they were experimenting with a shorter one-handed version of the Skrama, with what seems to be a blade in the 8-inch range. Maybe worth keeping an eye out for if one is a Terava fan - I suppose I would qualify... ;-)

BK16 seems like a no-brainer to me.

It also has a smaller / thinner handle than many others, but is still an awesome, ergonomic shape for adult hands as well.

He'll never out grow it.

Last edited:
So with added info that it's for a kid I would say buy that nice $100 knife and pack it away.

Give him a Mora fixed blade to start out with and become seasoned on.

When he can use the more without wrecking it pull out the good one as a reward.

Back