Christmas Markets - Rudesheim added!

eisman

Gold Member
I thought I'd post this here and let everyone see what it's like in Europe with Christmas coming. The annual markets all have somewhat different hours and starting dates. The earliest of them this year started 24 November, and since I was close to Strasbourg, France, that's the one I went to. It was different than doing the normal Thanksgiving. Strasbourg's market is one of the largest. They list it as 6 different ones, but they all kind of run together. It is very popular, hotels sell out, and if you want to eat a sit down meal it's best to have reservations at least a month out. Strasbourg lists itself as "the Capitol of Christmas". I'm not sure I agree, but it's certainly a major event. Booths are open from 11am to 9-10 pm.

G2r8255.jpg

blgSATL.jpg

AUV1bnR.jpg

LItXShy.jpg

I love pictures like this. Cityscapes. Your pictures (particularly the ones with the moon showing) are fantastic

Rudesheim is a fairly small town on the Rhine, west of Mainz, where most of the Rhine river cruises leave (or end). It's wine country, but the town is known for it's brandy (Asbach) which is sold around the world. They also do a lot of liquor filled chocolates. They have a small Christmas market (compared to the big cities) but I like the town and went up Saturday to visit. Very crowded. Tourist prices. But it's really hard to complain when you're eating roasted bratwurst and drinking mulled wine. Here's a few pics.

The town from the Rhine. Took the ferry over.
Nrhptzv.jpg

The local Church.
T79dNkg.jpg

The vendors lined up on the river road.
MuGtzRc.jpg

Typical street crowd. It's about 25f that day.
idggRMJ.jpg

ysvEUBC.jpg

Quiet street, away from the market.
vVmfMOo.jpg

The tower by the river;
FL58Vk1.jpg

Bingen, the town across the river:
bmstFNm.jpg

Back