1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Civivi Damascus performance

Discussion in 'We Knife' started by dkb45, Jun 28, 2019.

1. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I know the composition is secret for industry reasons, but I've heard multiple things about how it is composed and nothing about how it performs. Civivi knives don't use super high end steel, so the Damascus won't be competing with the likes of S35VN or M390, but how does it compare to the Civivi D2 or 9Cr?

I have also heard that the Damascus is 9Cr core San Mai, but the visible patterns on the blades don't support that as the lamination line is almost always visible.

If it matters, the models I'm looking at getting are either the McKenna or Durus in Damascus, since the Damascus composition isn't public and the patterns seem to vary, there could be a different steel between the models.

2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    They said it would perform like 440c.

So not great.

3. dkb45

Dec 16, 2012
    440C properly treated is a perfectly serviceable steel. It's a step above 9Cr and just below N690. Damasteel performs around that level. You don't get Damascus for performance, you get it for style.

4. Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I have not heard of it being San Mai. I have heard the same as it being a 9CR based Damascus.

I just picked up a Damascus Praxis to check it out. I will make this my EDC for a while and put it to some good use and let you know how it fares. First impressions are very favorable. It has perfect detent, great ergos, and glassy smooth action.

5A084631-272A-480C-B031-810813CD1E9F.jpeg 3133E0A0-6F51-4341-894D-0E0B7DBF60B9.jpeg

bflying likes this.
  5. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I have had my Praxis for a couple weeks. I have carried it and used it every day. It is still razor sharp and does not need touched up yet.
    One issue I have with my Statera is being a city mailman I am soaked with sweat from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm and it rusts easily. I have carried the Damascus Praxis with no rust issues...yet.

EB3639A8-DF30-4154-938D-C08D0E51D8E8.jpeg

6. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    81EFB2CE-47E3-4ACC-8269-39A715D1DBB6.jpeg I like the Praxis so much I bought a Plethiros!!
    It’s even better!!

WValtakis likes this.
  7. Ryan Thompson

Oct 27, 2016
    I have been carrying and using the Praxis every day for the last month. It has been used fishing for cutting heavy mono off hooks and got soaked, taken hiking and got sweaty, used to break down all my cardboard boxes for recycling and cut up aluminum cans for grilling beer can chicken. This is my normal use, outside of the standard opening mail and packages and cutting strings. It was due for a sharpening today after a little more than a month of this type of use. I took it apart and cleaned it as well. There was no rust anywhere whatsoever. Putting a shaving sharp razor edge back on took only a couple minutes. Overall, I am very impressed. It doesn’t hold it’s edge as well as others I have, but still does extremely well. Well worth checking out.

@Monofletch glad you’re enjoying yours!

8. dkb45

Dec 16, 2012
    Finally managed to pick up a Civivi in Damascus. Missed out on the McKenna, found one in D2 for cheap, and didn't want to buy another when I eventually came across one in Damascus. The Durus has been released in Damascus, and I ordered it as soon as I saw it. I'll update how it does when I get it.

9. YmatisU

YmatisU Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2015
    I can second that on the Civivi Praxis. Such great action for the price and the damascus looks very nice. The ergos and overall weight are what surprised me knocking even a CRK Sebenza 25 out the pocket. A little unsure how the thickness of the edge on the Praxis would do with moderate to heavy use as it is a slicer for sure. Would like to try the Plethora too someday.

10. Ryan Thompson

Oct 27, 2016
    I grabbed a couple Damascus Durus as well and did a scale swap with an orange one. Kind of liking the orange Damascus.

DA955611-FE8F-4A42-8DD4-407C924382EA.jpeg

11. Jesse Allen

Jesse Allen

Apr 25, 2017
    I can’t wait to get a Elementum in damascus. If they release it anyway.