Civivi Damascus Properties?

Chronovore

Gold Member
The only things I know about Civivi's Damascus is that it is stainless and supposedly "based on 9Cr18Mov". My understanding of the process is limited but I thought it involved using two different steels. Is that true here? If so, what is the other steel?

How are the properties relative to Civivi's normal 9Cr18Mov? I say "normal" but as testing has shown, WE has perfected the heat treatment for 9Cr18Mov. The Civivi and Sencut knives in 9Cr18Mov outcut other knives in 9Cr18Mov by a significant margin. On cardboard, they get edge performance closer to mass-market knives in S30V and S35VN. That's exceptional and I wonder if their Damascus is as good.

Also, how close is the corrosion resistance?

Thanks!

9cr is stainless, so whatever steel they use for the darker parts is probably a non-stainless (most likely cheaper) non-pm, higher carbon steel. Tougher, but edge retention and corrosive will take a small hit. Theoretically.

I have gotten their damascus to stain, but that was little drops of salt water, and fruits (lightly).

Honestly in real-life use, the edge retention is similar if not, the same as their 9cr, or Spyderco's VG10. They fall in the same bucket for me as "not bad" Steel; this is mostly from my Dogma and Rustic Gent.

Dergyll's bucket:
Awesome!: 3V, 4V, Vanax, LC200N, CRUWEAR...
Pretty dang good: ELMAX, 20CV, S35/45VN...
Not Bad: CPM154, 14C28N, CivMascus
Dont buy: 8cr, 7cr, 5/4cr, 4116, H1, AUS8...

Overpriced: VG10
Too varied it gets annoying: D2

Sorry if this isnt the "official" info you're looking for, but then again, what is? Larrin? Pete? Haha.

According to the information from Damascus supplier, the base materials of the Damascus is compound by 10Cr15CoMoV and 9Cr18MoV

Thanks. That's interesting. 10Cr15CoMoV seems to be a Chinese analog of VG-10. (I've linked a comparison graph below.) Since Civivi has started using 10Cr15CoMoV, I've been curious about its performance relative to their stellar 9Cr18Mov.

I've also wondered about the difference in corrosion resistance between VG-10 and 9Cr18Mov. Sadly, I don't see 9Cr18Mov in the excellent rating table that Larrin Larrin made. I wonder if he'd be good enough to give us a theoretical rating for 9Cr18Mov...

Back