• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Clarification on new f&f "net to me" rules

In the wake of the new rules eliminating "net to me" sales and clarifying that posts be clear about pricing I'm still seeing some posts stating F&F pricing and G&S pricing on sales. Is this just a few bad apples not knowing the rule, or will this stay an acceptable practice?

It seems like while it eliminates the verbiage of "net to me" it is still keeping the implication of encouraging a friends and family deal just as the "net to me" statement was doing prior... Just taking the math out of it for the buyer.

I searched the rules and didn't see it strictly forbidden to post this way even though I thought I had explicitly read that sales posts be listed to include shipping and fees in the price.

I know the topic has been beaten to death and big strides were made with the rule change. I'm just curious about the clarity since there are still posts sliding through. It could very well be just the volume vs the small number of unpaid mods and admins too, in which case I'm not complaining! Just asking the question.

The way the rules are written now it’s acceptable to have both prices as long as the total price is posted.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/updated-exchange-rules.1646264/#post-18826796

That's what I read too. It seemed like the "spirit of the rule" when it was announced felt more like it was eliminating the posting of F&F pricing but I can't locate that thread anymore so I'm going off memory.

Thanks for clarifying though. Your answer confirmed what I found out when I went digging after I saw some posts that stayed in place that I thought were in violation.

Judging by the vast majority of posts that eliminated the F&F pricing altogether, it seems most people felt the same "spirit of the rule" that I did so now its just a select few that feel the need to clearly post F&F pricing.

Even though it's not forbidden to request F&F with one price, there's a lot of members that won't buy if someone lists F&F.
I'm one of them. I wanted a knife the other day and it was listed F&F, would have bought it if it was listed G&S.

Using friends and family for a business transaction is stealing from P.P., especially if it is someone who is not a "friend". You are taking their product without paying for it.
I will not buy from sellers who list that way on principle.

I’d just like to point out how impressive the general consensus of use of F&F for a business transaction as being dishonest. I thought I was just being “old fashioned” in my sentiments in that regard, but prudish in not wanting to buy from someone who did that. I love this community.

This is a terrible hobby for the fiscally conscious. Why squabble over a dollar or two? Net to me, F&F, etc. Just give paypal and the seller their rightful money and keep moving. If you want to make every last cent you can from selling a knife become a dealer.

Thanks rycen rycen for the clarification. My understanding of the new rule was in line with your post. Glad to see the forum taking a firm, reasonable stance.

I think we should encourage these folks to keep using F&F, because guess what? Paypal is starting to crack down on these people who are stealing their services. I am a member of multiple groups and in the past few weeks there have been a sharp uptick of threads where these hilariously stupid nitwit idiots come in and make a post crybaby blubbering about how Paypal just suspended their account, and blocked access to their funds. LOL How long did you morons think you were going to keep getting away with it?

Those threads give me a warm glow every time.

Back