How To Claude Montjoy “Bowie”

My Dad was a good friend of Claude Montjoy and bought quite a few knives from him. He even visited Claude at his home in Clinton SC. My Dad passed away in Dec 2010 and Claude passed away in Sept of 2011. I had the honor of visiting Claude at his home and giving him the sad news that my Dad had passed away shortly after his death. Claude took me around to his shop where he showed me all of his belt grinders, most of which he made. He also had a giant band saw where he cut lots of steel templates, he chuckled telling what a great deal he got on the saw from an old machine shop. It was huge old and it worked perfect.

An interesting man to say the least and a true knife grinder. I say all this to ask a little advice on how to care for a beautiful Bowie Claude made for my Dad. My best guess is Claude made this Bowie in the late 90’s early 2000. It has a plain leather sheath. Upon my Dad recieving the Bowie he made a beautiful wooden case for it. It has been in the case untouched for at least 18 yrs. Any suggestions on what I should apply to the blade to continue to preserve it or maybe just leave it alone?The handle might be walrus ivory but I am not sure. I don’t think it’s stag. I probably should have asked Claude. Any thoughts on the value of this knife would be appreciated.
I have a fairly large number of other knives that Dad collected that at some point will be offering up for sale. Not a great photo, I will try and take a few more. Claude Montjoy’s name is stamped on the blade.
Any suggestions on care would be appreciated.
Thank you.

7EA50F5C-CA3F-41BF-B3DC-454DC8A52175.jpeg

Last edited:
While I have nothing to offer I will say I'm sorry to hear of your Dads passing. That seems to be a very fine knife and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out soon. I think I would have to keep this one though its a beauty.

While I have nothing to offer I will say I'm sorry to hear of your Dads passing. That seems to be a very fine knife and I'm sure someone will be along to help you out soon. I think I would have to keep this one though its a beauty.

Thank you, D d762nato , much appreciated.

if i was not sure if it was stainless steel or not, i would put some mineral oil on a paper towel and wipe the metal parts so it leaves a thin coating. i would do it every year or two. it will keep discoloration, rust and corrosion from happening. sorry about your dad.

if i was not sure if it was stainless steel or not, i would put some mineral oil on a paper towel and wipe the metal parts so it leaves a thin coating. i would do it every year or two. it will keep discoloration, rust and corrosion from happening. sorry about your dad.

Thank you, He lived a full retirement. Even made it in a book called a Turkey Call Makers past and present by Earl Mickel. He loved turkey hunting and making lots of box calls.

I plan on removing it from the case in the next day or so and get a better look at the back side of the blade. I will take a few better pics and treat the blade lightly with mineral oil.

It looks to be in perfect condition, not a lot you'd need to do. Whenever I receive a custom knife I first wipe it down with Isopropyl Alcohol, I use a paper towel. Then each piece gets treated with Renaissance Wax, a thin coating and wiped right off with a soft cloth. This has kept my collection in perfect condition for years, including some carbon steel knives that makers guaranteed to rust! Ren Wax goes a long way, buy the smallest container you can.

My Dad was a good friend of Claude Montjoy and bought quite a few knives from him. He even visited Claude at his home in Clinton SC. My Dad passed away in Dec 2010 and Claude passed away in Sept of 2011. I had the honor of visiting Claude at his home and giving him the sad news that my Dad had passed away shortly after his death. Claude took me around to his shop where he showed me all of his belt grinders, most of which he made. He also had a giant band saw where he cut lots of steel templates, he chuckled telling what a great deal he got on the saw from an old machine shop. It was huge old and it worked perfect.

An interesting man to say the least and a true knife grinder. I say all this to ask a little advice on how to care for a beautiful Bowie Claude made for my Dad. My best guess is Claude made this Bowie in the late 90’s early 2000. It has a plain leather sheath. Upon my Dad recieving the Bowie he made a beautiful wooden case for it. It has been in the case untouched for at least 18 yrs. Any suggestions on what I should apply to the blade to continue to preserve it or maybe just leave it alone?The handle might be walrus ivory but I am not sure. I don’t think it’s stag. I probably should have asked Claude. Any thoughts on the value of this knife would be appreciated.
I have a fairly large number of other knives that Dad collected that at some point will be offering up for sale. Not a great photo, I will try and take a few more. Claude Montjoy’s name is stamped on the blade.
Thank you.

View attachment 1054365

Thank you.

View attachment 1054365
Hi. I am Claude's daughter. If you still need some information about the knife or how to care for it let me know. And if any of the knives you are going to sale that he made I am very interested in talking to you about them.

Hi. I'm Claude's daughter. If you are still wanting information on this knife let me know. Also if you have any of his knives for sale I would love to talk to you about them.

Hi. I'm Claude's daughter. If you are still wanting information on this knife let me know. Also if you have any of his knives for sale I would love to talk to you about them.

Good Morning Ms Montjoy,
I look forward to speaking with you about the Bowie your Dad made for mine.
We live in Shelby, NC. How do I contact you?
Thank you for reaching out.

Back