How To Clean up a REALLY old knife.

Ok, after a really long put off... here is what it looks like now:
dl.php

Now I can’t tell, but is this rust? Or just blade coloration?
dl.php

Here is the longest blade:
dl.php

Looking good? Or do I need to do more work on it? I’ve already oiled it so they open smooth, but I haven’t sharpened yet.

Ok, after a really long put off... here is what it looks like now:
dl.php

Now I can’t tell, but is this rust? Or just blade coloration?
dl.php

Here is the longest blade:
dl.php

Looking good? Or do I need to do more work on it? I’ve already oiled it so they open smooth, but I haven’t sharpened yet.

Images aren't showing up...

It does have a lot of bad stuff in it, but do you have to see all that just for uploading photos?

Looks like most of what remains is some pretty heavy pitting from previous rusting and the (harmless) dark oxide 'patina'. No need to try to fix the pitting; it'd take too much sanding and metal removal to get rid of it all. So long as there's no red/brown rust remaining, just sharpen it up as needed, keep it clean and keep it oiled a bit. There's still a lot of life left in that knife. :thumbsup:

Ok, thanks! I will work a little more on the blades, and maybe oil it a bit more.

Someone may have mentioned this before, but is it ok to fully put it under water? The handle and the inside is a really oily, from the oiling I have done previously. Is dawn soap ok to use as well? (I have an air compressor)

Ok, thanks! I will work a little more on the blades, and maybe oil it a bit more.

Someone may have mentioned this before, but is it ok to fully put it under water? The handle and the inside is a really oily, from the oiling I have done previously. Is dawn soap ok to use as well? (I have an air compressor)

No problem washing it with the water & dish soap. Just make sure it dries completely afterward. You can help that along in a couple of ways: rinse in HOT water, which will warm up the internals and everything else, and that'll help the residual moisture evaporate off. Secondly, you can also flush it out after the wash with some isopropyl alcohol, which will displace any moisture remaining and carry it away as the alcohol evaporates. You can also flush it out with something like WD-40, which will also displace any moisture. It'll also leave a very light coat of oil behind, after its solvent evaporates off.

Back