Clips...use 'em and lose 'em (your knife that is)

My most-used knife in all that I own is my workhorse Spyderco Calypso with a fully-serrated blade. Rips open packaging like a chainsaw! :)

I use the clip and work in a motorcycle shop. I carry it in my RH front pocket and push brand new bikes around all day from the LH side. I had to stay *very* vigilant of scratches as this was real close!

Just last week, I removed the clip and slipped some thin clear tubing over it from the screws to over the end. Man, what a difference!

No scratches at all, and it's right where I need it. Consider.

Coop

Originally posted by Matches
Originally posted by Sal Glesser:
You know, that's what I love about this place and the people in it.Here's a guy (Sal)who responds to a problem like a normal human being...I have a good mind to buy one of his knives! ;)

Just one? Why you gotta go disrespecting the man like that?

;)
Jeffrey

I don't like clips much. I've never lost a knife because of a clip, but they chew up my pants pockets like crazy. I normally take the clip off and attach a lanyard to my knives, which I clip to a belt loop with a small carabiner. This saves my pants and makes it nearly impossible to lose the knife, too. Plus, I have to say that I prefer that the people around me not be aware that I'm carrying a knife: the clip is a dead give-away. With a lanyard, nobody knows what's on the other end. Obviously, this kind of set-up is not going to work very well for someone who wants to be able to draw their knife in a hurry. Personally, however, I tend to favor discretion: I carry a knife for utility purposes, not for self-defense.

I love clips on my knives.

As far as destroying them. . .I bent one and it was completely my fault. No big deal though. Called the maker and he sent me one for free. :D

I'm also very mindful of the damage that they can do to softer materials (furniture, painted objects, etc.). And it has been several years since I've left "my mark" on anything. Ya just have to be aware of your surroundings and what's clipped to your pocket. ;)

Hey Coop. . .excellent idea ! :)

I have carried a Cold Steel folder with a clip on it for about 3 years now, and have never had a moment's problem. My Recon 1 stays right where I put it at all times. It never comes loose or shifts at all, but it can still be drawn quickly. It never sticks out and gets caught on anything.

But the folder is usually being carried along with at least 1 handgun, usually two, so I have lots of other things around my waist to bang stuff with.

I have never had a problem in my front pocket but I have had more than one knife slip out of my back pocket so I went to IWB with the clip under my belt. Ten years and no problem that way (knock wood).

I think it depends on what you are doing. I think I lost a Griptilian while raking up bark. My theory (don't know for sure--never found the knife) is that I hit the clip with the handle of the rake and knocked the knife up and out of the pocket of m jeans.

Clips also scrape up furniture and other stuff it you don't stay aware of the metal scraper on your hip ;)

All that said, I still carry my EDC in my right front pocket using a clip. Thanks Sal! :)

Last week I carried my AG Russell lightweight folder (does not have a clip) to work. In the morning I was talking with a couple of other guys, one of which was carrying a Gerber. I asked to see it and when he asked to see what I was carrying I reached in my pocket and much to my dismay found it absolutely empty! :eek: After looking for a hole in the pocket and explaining that I was sure I had it when I left that morning I said "well, at least I still have a blade on my Leathman Juice". Still it was a rather embarrassing situation for a knut to be in. I later found the knife beside my seat in the car. The pants I was wearing was a loose pair of dress slacks which I'm sure helped the knife slide out. I'll be using a clipped knife in the future with slacks.

I think clips rule ! I use them almost all the time, with the exception ofmy new strider sng, that clip is TIGHT. I can use it on my uniform pants, but it's to tight to draw when wearing shorts. Have not tried it with jeans yet, as it's been mostly 90-105 F since we moved to Oklahoma.

Back