CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, 12" Behemoth Chopper

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This pre-order is now closed to new orders, thank you.

Please post only one time to this thread.
Please do not make multiple posts or chat. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I'm locking this to give folks a chance to read it before jumping into it. This will unlock at 5:00 EST. I'll be unlocking it from my phone while on the road so the timing might be a little off.

I estimate it will take about six months for this pre-order to start to ship and possibly longer. I'm only committing to ship before the end of the upcoming year. If you need something faster this might not be for you.

These are some pictures of what it doesn't look like:

jzhLc2P.jpg

6DFEgHg.jpg

kCWvcdE.jpg

hYrVELk.jpg

BdZSusB.jpg

P3Wss0f.jpg

TxXSjPr.jpg

2Zn9Ydf.jpg

wYRtPR4.jpg

DnW19KC.jpg

UPDATE. THIS IS THE PRODUCTION BC:

71y9QoH.jpg

^ that is the prototype, the production version will have a few minor tweaks, particularly the handle shape has been further refined a little.

They're made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with the Delta heat treat protocol that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. This is an exceptional knife with a combination of toughness and edge retention that will blow your mind.

The hand grip works as a heavy camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand fatigue for extended hard chopping. Like the HDFK before it, the handle on the new BC is the product of a long iterative process of testing and development. It will impress you.

The Behemoth Chopper is well balanced and reasonably light for a knife this size.

This is a BIG DAMN KNIFE. It's difficult to understand the size of this thing looking at the pictures.

The primary grind geometry, edge thickness and edge angle are tuned to be a good effective cutter so it bites hard and deep, but I left enough meat in there so it's not fragile and it will tolerate rough use.

This knife performs. I can get through a 2X4 in five whacks with one of these. I can't do that with anything else I've tried.

It has a forward lanyard hole (as used in competition cuts, though this knife is not competition legal) and a hidden rear lanyard hole.

Specs:
Delta 3V, 60.5 HRC, .250 thick at ricasso (1/4")
Total length 17.75"
Blade length 12.0"
Weight 24.5 oz
Edge angle 20 DPS
.035" BTE
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or TeroTuf
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
Hidden lanyard

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$525 in canvas micarta, natural or black
$540 in OD green micarta
$560 in maroon micarta
$570 in antique micarta on a black liner
$550 in black unbuffed TeroTuf on a black micatra liner.

There is no sheath included with this knife.

Shipping in the USA is $10.

Note on the antique micarta: This is very old surplus that I bought up. I don't know who made it, though Westinghouse was the big name in the business back when this would have been made. It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today. It is proven to be "good stuff". The material is natural color but has aged into a deep brown throughout most of the thickness from oxygen, but there are some areas that are lighter in color, so it is streaky and multi color. It's actually a really cool look IMO. I will book match the pieces as I saw it up and make sure the two sides of the knife are a good match, but you get what you get. If you want light color, multi color or solid dark you can request it and if we have it I'll try to match up people's request with available scales, but understand this color is naturally occurring and varies and you get what you get, probably mostly solid dark brown.

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment in advance and hold your money. While I think this is usually a bad policy, so I don't generally recommend it, I've been around a while, my shop is an incorporated business established in 2001, so I'm probably not going anywhere. I will ship your knife when it's finished. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations.

We're going to order a custom run of 3V for this and this big knife is too large to gang up across two mills and run as a continuous process so, I don't expect them to start to finish up for about six months. They will ship as they're finished in the order that they are ordered in. As I'm building them, some of the knives made will go to this pre-order and some will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before we process it. In that time frame you can change your order. So, if you wake up and decide you want one instead of two, or you want micarta instead of TT you can edit your post. Once Jo contacts you (you need email or PM "turned on" or send contact info to her) and you finalize your order it is finalized. Please don't add changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past.

Jo will contact you to determine your payment preference. Options are check, cash, MO and paypal. You will also need to confirm where you want it shipped. This will be done by Jo the Machinist private message or email.

This list will be up for a few days.

If, after a while, you don't hear from us and we don't hear from you, something is getting lost in the interwebs or spam filters. So if you haven't confirmed your order and received your invoice after a week or two you should contact Jo at carothers knives at gmail dought com.

Please note: Jo and I are leaving for our annual new years bash at the lake this afternoon. I'll be unlocking this thread from my phone. I think this will work okay but the timing might be off a little. We'll return to the shop next week.

Jo, Mark and I appreciate all of your continued interest in our work and your support.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I'll take two, both in (dark) antique micarta on a black liner! Please and thank you!
C.

1/2 contacted, invoiced, and paid

8/9 holding

8/31 Shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
Dibs!

Dearest Jo :)

I will claim 2 x Behemoths please.

1- with the darkest edgecut antique micarta handle scales as you could possibly find just for your Uncle Matty :thumbsup: ... edited to add: invoiced & paid for # 1 on 1/2/2018 8/9 Shipped!

2- freaky streaky edgecut antique micarta handle scales for my younger wayward Bro ;) 8/21 shipped

Happy New Year to all the Carothers of Mooresville + all my CPK brethren, Mat...

1/2 contacted and invoiced paid

One in antique micarta on a black liner, please.

8/21 shipped

In for one with Antique micarta please. Thank you!

1/2 sent email

1/3 invoiced and paid

8/21 shipped

1 natural micarta

1 antique micarta on a black liner

Thanks

1/2 sent email, invoiced and paid

8/21 shipped

1 - Antique micarta on black liner - $570

I'll take the funkiest looking multicolor set of scales you can give me! Thanks CPK!

8/21 sheath PM

10/23 shipped

im definitely in!
1/2 sent email
1/3 invoiced and paid

8/25 shipped one, owe one

8/31 shipped!

3 behemoths - two terotuff, one antique micarta please. Thanks!

1/2 contacted and invoiced paid

8/25 shipped

in

2 please, antique micarta, if possible one streaked buffed and one dark unbuffed. and an extra set of terotuf scales. thank you!:):thumbsup:;)

1/2 sent email
1/4 invoiced and paid

8/25 awaiting scales

12/3 shipped

In for 1 antique micarta multi color if available. Also a set of OD green micarta scales.

1/2 sent email

1/3 contacted

1/9 paid

8/25 awaiting scales

12/3 shipped

I’m down.

I would like the Antique Micarta with Black liners. Darker is good.

Second choice would be maroon micarta.
Thank you.

1/2 sent email

1/4 contacted and paid

8/27 shipped

8/29 Received!

Last edited:
In for one

1/2 sent email

1/3 invoiced and paid

8/27 shipped one, owe one

12/3 shipped Complete

1 terotuf

If you need an email
max_cms at yahoo dot com

(Lol, I guess pulling over by the roadside for a preorder worked out a little better than trying the sales)

1/2 contacted, invoiced and paid

8/29 shipping

1 antique micarta (multicolor streaky )
Thanks

1/2 contacted, invoiced and paid

8/29 awaiting scales

12/3 shipped

1 Antique micarta - Dark (& streaky if possible) please

1/2 contacted

1/3 invoiced and paid

8/29 awaiting scales

12/3 shipped

I’ll take one in black Micarta, not buffed

1/2 sent email

1/3 invoiced and paid

8/29 shipping

One for me

8/29 shipping

I’ll take one with antique micarta, streaky if you got it.

Thanks!

1/2 contacted

1/9 paid

8/29 awaiting scales

12/6 shipped

I'll take one!

EDIT: I’ll take one in green micarta, please!

Thanks for doing the preorder! Super excited about this!!

1/2 sent email
1/3 invoiced and paid

9/5 shipped

Back