CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, Keffeler-18 Sword (The K18)

While I have a lot of respect from you (Nathan). I have not seen a good track record for Knife makers asking for a full-price (unless you are Busse).

There may be a language barrier issue so I'll confirm you're talking about taking full payment in a pre-order.

I agree it's a terrible practice and people shouldn't do it. Worse, by normalizing it, I'm making the practice more mainstream. Knife makers should not take people's money in advance because all-too-often they misjudge their profitability and run out of money before fulfilling their obligations or unexpected issues arise causing them to fail while holding other people's money. It happens so often it almost seems inevitable, like a running gag. I think the only reasons I haven't run into problems is because we are a machine shop and this is an established incorporated job shop where we take orders all the time and managing production operations is (and has been for a long time) my job. I guess it's one of those situations where I say "trust me, I know what I'm doing" although the truth is I could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I only do it because it's the least bad option. For years our sales would frequently sell out in 10-20 seconds and people were frustrated with trying to buy our work and wanted pre-orders. But we were busy making knives and did not have time to manage wait lists. People don't understand how time consuming lists are. And custom orders. You get people making 20 emails about one knife. And changing their order and you have to keep up with all of it. Or disappearing. It's not as much of a problem for small hobby makers but it doesn't scale up and we identified it as a major issue that I just wasn't capable of accommodating. The only way I'm able to do a list and pre-orders is taking full payment in advance and making the order with no after-the-fact changes. We'd be sunk doing it otherwise. And you may think "just take a deposit" but that doubles (at a minimum) the time and transactions involved in dealing with orders and, at least for us, makes it impossible and non-profitable. So why would I do that when I could just make knives and sell them on Fridays?

So it's a situation where I agree with you that it's a bad practice. And I would strongly discourage other makers from doing it. But I don't want to do pre-orders and the only way I'm ever going to do them is if it's full payment, in advance, with no changes. I've tried lists and deposits in the past and I'm never doing that again. People who are able to do it have a different kind of infrastructure than we have. And frequently that infrastructure is reflected in their price. Our focus on value and bang-for-the-buck high performance doesn't leave large margins where we can fit in a crew of people to spend all day answering emails. It's just me and Jo doing that and we're very busy in the shop. I've looked at other alternatives and, at least for now, this is it.

CPK is the only company I've ever paid a deposit with that wasn't a widely trusted maker with whom I had a previously successful order, and the only one I've ever paid in full in advance.

That being said, I have done the crying once on this sword and papered over the budget accordingly, so I was hoping this thread would die until it slipped out of my mind until next summer when all the sudden I get a cool sword I'd half forgotten about and already paid for.

Been doing Pre-orders with CPK for 3 Years:thumbsup:Always received my Custom knife(s) (at semi-custom prices) within the time frame Nathan had given;) Beautiful workmanship, craftsmanship, and OUTSTANDING Customer service equals Win Win for me:D

When's the Next Pre-order?

When's the Next Pre-order?

I'm considering doing one in a few weeks for the Field Knife, which are in process now.

I'm thinking we'll do the entire run (500 knives) in some sort of a basic standard configuration and distribute it though a dealer or Amazon or similar and offer specialty variations as a pre-order to mix into the run. So standard might be tumbled with natural micarta scales. But the pre-order, which would be processed here on the forum, would have options like a 90 degree spine or swedge or satin or wood etc. So, people wanting something special could order (and pay in advance and wait for the custom work) and everybody else can simply order what they want in a standard configuration from a distribution service with no drama. I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards doing it this way in order to better serve everyone.

I'm gonna lock this thread for now and open a new thread because this is the K18 pre-order thread...

The K18 was a complicated undertaking. We did not have the ability to deck the material and we had never fixtured such large blades for beveling. We weren't able to tumble it. We weren't able to heat treat it. The reinforced point dictated a weighted pommel as a counterweight which was only discovered in prototyping. Every aspect of this project from fixturing, finishing, and even sharpening has been a learning curve for us. We were late. We were very very late and I'm sorry about that. But I like to think that those of you who got these swords got an amazing piece and I hope that you found the wait well worth it.

I just finished the last sword of this CPK forum K18 pre-order. I haven't felt like this since I took my last math class at NC State (some calculus class that I have never actually used in life) and I was walking away from the building looking up and smiling knowing that "math class" was behind me. Holy smokes I'm glad to put this one behind me. Thank you all for your patience.

The K18 was a complicated undertaking. We did not have the ability to deck the material and we had never fixtured such large blades for beveling. We weren't able to tumble it. We weren't able to heat treat it. The reinforced point dictated a weighted pommel as a counterweight which was only discovered in prototyping. Every aspect of this project from fixturing, finishing, and even sharpening has been a learning curve for us. We were late. We were very very late and I'm sorry about that. But I like to think that those of you who got these swords got an amazing piece and I hope that you found the wait well worth it.

I just finished the last sword of this CPK forum K18 pre-order. I haven't felt like this since I took my last math class at NC State (some calculus class that I have never actually used in life) and I was walking away from the building looking up and smiling knowing that "math class" was behind me. Holy smokes I'm glad to put this one behind me. Thank you all for your patience.
I truly do have a remarkable sword, and I'm glad I got to be part of your very expensive and exhausting lesson!

Now A&E need to bring KoD back so we can see this blade in action!

Back