CLOSED, PRE-ORDER, THE RETURN OF THE 8" SHIV

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I think it's possible we may be sold out here folks. I need to cap this run at 300 and, depending on who orders what, we may have reached that now. You can still place orders if you want but please be aware I'm not sure there are still remaining slots. Thank you.

Please post only one time to this thread.
Please do not make multiple posts or chat. If you need to change something, edit your post, don't add an additional post. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

I intend to leave this thread open for one week but I will close it early if the numbers get out of hand. Please limit your order to three knives per person.

Please read and understand and agree to the terms of this pre-order in the "massive disclaimer" section. If you're not comfortable with the terms of our pre-orders, please do not participate.

The 8" Shiv is a titan in the history of CPK classics. If you've never held one, you should, it is a brilliant knife/weapon. It is not light and lively like an ABS "fighter", it is light with weight on the ends. It's a robust stabbing weapon that can easily defeat thick clothing and Kevlar body armor, and a modern combat knife intended for reliable hard work in difficult conditions.

These were originally made during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's the fighter that the UF was derived from. It is the UF on steroids and dialed up to 11. The UF is compact and reasonable, the Shiv is not.

It is long, narrow and 1/4" thick Delta 3V with a reinforced in-line point (thick diamond shaped cross section) skeletonized tang and functional deep fullers. It balances directly ahead of the guard. It was made to stab in a straight line, resist deflection, and was originally intended to pry open a glove box, open holes in a masonry wall, and breach a door and the fellow behind it.

The guard is large and is designed to fit the hand and thumb when held at 45 degrees across the palm in a saber grip and also aligns perfectly with your hand when held in a reverse grip. The grip is designed to be spun in the hand into a reverse grip and for the thumb to go over the end. This fits a large hand.

The grip on the UF was derived from the Shiv, and now the grip on the Shiv is derived from the updated UF. But without the compromises in geometry to keep it compact and help it lay flat. The grip is thicker and more pronounced so the knife will remain aligned with your arm and point straight. With some use you will know exactly where the point is with your eyes closed, reverse or forward.

There are some updates with the new release of this classic pattern. Compared to the original Shiv, there is the thumb ramp jimping and deep chamfers we have become known for (these are found on some of the later production OG Shivs). The finger guard is a little bigger. The heat treat is now our fully optimized Delta Heat Treat (an early version of this was also found on the last few OG Shivs to leave the shop, though they were un-marked.) The hand grip has been tweaked a little. The primary grind has been narrowed a hair and the fuller has been adjusted to compensate (I'm keeping the weight and balance roughly the same through the distribution of material and the sectional modulus is basically unchanged). I'm stretching the point out 1/2" to give it a full 8" edge length rather than 8" tip to scale. Due to advances in our heat treat, the edge is now sharpened at 20 DPS rather than the original 22.

Here is an OG Shiv with one of the early heat treat tweaks. It was sharpened at 20 DPS

Holy smokes, I've just noticed that old video has 25,000 views!

The Shiv 2.0 can do those cuts with a little less edge loss due to the advances we made in our heat treat since that video was shot.

Here is a picture of what it won't look like

Ov0JXIv.jpg

Here is another picture that is also what it won't look like

u4IYdCM.jpg

Here are some computer renderings of the Shiv 2.0. But it won't look like this either:

CzrqlTl.jpg

3cPFE3L.jpg

These are all field grade, milled and tumbled with visible tool and grinding marks. (I was milling these on a Bridgeport when I was first making them, I'm using a 20,000 pound Mori Seiki now, our accuracy, fit and finish is a little better than the original)

We pride ourselves here for making what I consider the best high performance user grade cutting tools available in the industry. One of the reasons we win most of the Bladesports cutting competitions is because we have a handle on metallurgy, geometry and ergonomics. Performance is our middle name. We provide what I consider to be the best knives in the world and our knives are usually a great value and an affordable price. This isn't one of those and I want to discourage you folks from spending your hard earned money on this particular knife. We don't make knives like this often because it's not an affordable optimized cutting tool, it's an expensive weapon. We will have plenty of the affordable knives that you know and love from us next year. I'm revisiting this classic because you guys asked for it and because I love it, but I'm not recommending this as a must have classic that you need in your kit. That, and that long skinny point is an unsupported cut and is fussy to make (read: Nathan is probably going to be milling these himself) so I really don't want to make a ton of these.

Pricing starts at $750. I will take a 50% deposit now and you can pay the balance when your order is ready to ship. Or you can pay in full now, whichever is your preference.

Specs:
Delta 3V, 60.5 HRC, .250" thick at ricasso
Total length 13.25
Blade length 8.0 (8.5 tip to scale)
Weight 12 oz
Edge angle 20 DPS
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Fully machined 6AL4V titanium Torx head fasteners in precision ground steel pins

Basic vanilla configuration, includes a very nice kydex sheath, does not include shipping:
$750 in canvas micarta, black or natural

Optional add ons available in addition to plain vanilla:

Acid wash (not recommended, will show wear with use) $50
Satin grind after tumble (super clean 220 grit hand ground finish) $225
Lengthwise satin ground by NTM $500 (not a good value, don't order this)
Double edge tip (~1/2" of the point cuts in both directions) $100
Double edged dagger ground point (with modified fuller) $325
Heat color my titanium fasteners pretty and blue $15

(I recommend leaving the point as it is designed. It's intended to be like that. It's stronger and it's plenty stabby)

Scales, substitute for basic micarta:
Black Linen micarta $10
OD green micarta $10
Burlap micarta $20
Double red (maroon, limited quantities) micarta $20
OD green or Black G10 $10
Terotuf (grey or OD green) $20
Edge cut antique Micarta (Nate's choice for this icon) $125
Ebonite (caution, antique natural rubber material) $125
Mystery wood (I got a really good deal on some barely used tongue depressor sticks) $150

Shipping in the USA is $13. Multiples do not accrue additional shipping.

The ordering process:

Post your order on this thread. This thread is my order list. You can edit your post as necessary.

I'm going to take 50% deposit in advance. If you prefer to pay 100% you are welcome to do so.

Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations.

Unless I'm late. I will issue refunds to those who request a refund if I don't ship your knife within one year. It is my intent to ship these within one year, but depending on how many people order time consuming options some of the more complex builds may take up to 18 months. But only if there are a lot of complex builds.

As I'm building these, some of the knives made will go to this pre-order and some will be sold in regular sales.
This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife.

When you place your order, it will sit on the order thread for a day or more before you send your email finalizing your order. In that time frame you can edit your post and change your order. Once you send Jo an email confirming your order it is finalized. Please check your paypal invoice for accuracy and inform Jo if there needs to be a change to it. Please don't add additional changes after-the-fact because it is this sort of thing that has made lists unmanageable in the past. (Once your invoice is paid, your order is done, no changes, please!) Please pay your invoice within 30 days or we will need to cancel your order.

Unless the numbers get crazy I'll leave this list up for a week.

Once you are certain about your order please send an email to Jo at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com. A good subject line would be: "Shiv pre-order, post number #X"

Please include the following information in your email:

1: Your post number on this sale thread.
2: Bladeforums name. (for example "Jo the Machinist")
3: Real Name.
4: PayPal email address so we can send a paypal invoice (or ask about other payment options).
5: Shipping address.
6: Your desired configuration and options such as scales, finish etc.
7: Any questions you may have or special instructions.

Once we receive this information, if everything is there, we will send you a PayPal invoice. If information is missing or you have additional questions, Jo will reply to your email. When your email is read and processed she will send you a reply letting you know we've received your information.

If, after a while, you don't hear from us and we don't hear from you, something is getting lost in the interwebs or spam filters. So if you haven't confirmed your order and received your invoice after a week or two you should contact Jo at jocarothers at gmail dought com.

Last edited:
Massive disclaimer:

Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations. For any reason. (Except change of address. Be sure to let Jo know if you move) If you do not produce the balance of your payment within 30 days of your knife being ready to ship you will not get a refund, you will not get a knife and you will not get an apology. If you don't pay your invoice when it's due, "your" knife will be sold to somebody else, your deposit will be forfeit and it will be applied to the CPK beer fund. Please do not leave me hanging here! This is why we don't usually do it this way, we've been down this road before and it can suck. So please, follow through. If you change your mind, the CPK crew and I thank you for the beer.

This knife comes with our rough use warranty. If it ever fails, for any reason, short of intentionally breaking it, I will replace, repair or refund. Broken tips get repointed, busted scales are replaced with a material of my choosing. You can not break this knife without using tools of some kind, your monkey meat can't do it. But you can dull the edge if you hit rocks etc. Send it in for re-sharpening if you need help.

Note on the antique micarta

VsPK0ly.jpg

This is very old surplus that I bought up from a ship builder who was using it before I was even born. I don't know who made it (labels were gone, it was already machined into a shape), though Westinghouse was the big name in the business back when this would have been made. It has been compared to known samples of Westinghouse micarta and it appears that this is almost certainly what it is.

kS3LN8F.jpg

It is quality material that machines well, polishes evenly and is more thoroughly resin impregnated and harder than material I can find available today. It is proven to be "good stuff". The material is natural color but has aged into a deep brown throughout most of the thickness from oxygen, but there are some areas that are lighter in color, so it is streaky and multi color. It's actually a really cool look IMO. I will book match the pieces as I saw it up and make sure the two sides of the knife are a good match, but you get what you get. If you want light color, multi color or solid dark you can request it and if we have it I'll try to match up people's request with available scales, but understand this color is naturally occurring and varies and you get what you get, probably mostly solid dark brown.

IMG_24491.jpg

^Jo uses antique ebonite on her comp chopper that she rules the sport with because it's awesome. And Jo is awesome.

Note on the ebonite:
This is antique natural rubber. It's pretty cool, but it's not durable like micarta. And you can't just leave it in your car or have it live out in the sun indefinitely and (it's rubber) there are solvents and oils that aren't good for it. But man it sure does feel nice. It's a little smelly at first from the sulfur used to vulcanize the hell out of it but that goes away.

Last edited:
1 Shiv, ECAM

Thank you

(Nate, I hit this at 5 and it posted, but it didn't say open...so feel free to delete this as I am not trying to game the system.)

edit: Nope, we're good. You were here on time and being a super mod and serving our community adds a layer of complexity to your posts that you should not be penalized for. You didn't push out anybody. Nate

ETA:

Well, happy friggin' birthday to me (in advance) this weekend. It's not every swinging dick that makes it to septuagenarian status. Although, I haven't quite made it yet. Anything can still happen.

10/10 invoiced

10/18 PIF

3/21 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
299 Shivs

Damn, so much for my plan of being the De Beers of the Shiv market in 2024...y'all would have been paying $5K a pop for these bad boys

3 Shivs it is...

1x Buffed Double Red
1x Buffed Double Black
1x Buffed ECAM

10/10 invoiced

2/19 sent reminder for 2nd payment

3/21 shipped

The preorder torture chamber…always so hard to decide.

At least 1 UGH. Ok 3 here:
- 1 Dagger grind, 2 Basic

- 1 Gourmet popsicle wood (How cool would Lignam Vitae be? And who better than a Machinist to purdy that hard stuff up?? 2nd preference would be Osage here.)
- 1 Grey TT
- 1 Double Black unbuffed micarta
- 1 extra set of buffed ECAM

10/10 emailed

10/18 PP

3/5 PIF

For helping with the tally we should probably all stake our claims, in at least a cursory sense, so that the boss lady can figure out how far down the list this goes.

This post is going to account for three.

10/10 emailed

10/25 still deciding

3/5 PIF

Shivalry is dead !!!

1 Shiv , Buffed ECAM, double edge tip.

Email sent.
Jo, I forgot to mention in email. I would like my ECAM buffed.
Thanks!

10/10 invoiced

10/18 PP

3/5 PIF

Doing 3 (for counting purposes). I really wanted the dagger ground tip but the man himself said better to leave the tip as designed and it’s stronger that way.
1.) Stonewashed, OD green Terotuf
2.) Stonewashed, Grey Terotuf
3.) Stonewashed, ECAM (since it was the evil genius’s preference I’ll leave it up to his recommendation as to whether he’d do buffed or unbuffed on this specific model)

10/10 invoiced

10/18 PIF

Back