Coating under the scales of a bare carbon blade?

Any tips on preventing rust under removalable scales on a carbon steel knife? The knife in question is a Becker BK2 with stripped finish. I tried automotive wheel clearcoat but it doesn't seem durable enough, it wore where the edges of the scale contact it (around the screw holes). Right now I am trying painting superglue (cyanoacrylate) on in a thick coat and sanding it down.

Thanks.

My question is, do you insist on the scales being removable?

If so, my advice is to remove them and clean the tang any time you think it may have gotten wet, and before storing the knife for a while. Then wipe the tang with mineral oil (the threads of the bolts and nuts, too) and put the scales back on.

Some address this issue by attaching water-proof liners to the tang with good epoxy. This seals off the portion of the tang that is under the scales.

My solution ended up being painting several coats of superglue with a brush and then sanding it up to 2500 grit for a fairly smooth finish. It seems to work so far. I guess if it starts getting rusty under there I should consider having this thing sent off to be stripped and finished or something.

Last edited:
Back