Coddled eggs

eveled

Gold Member
F0905A03-DEE2-4ACE-9B49-69712952A930.jpeg 56B2BA2C-CAD9-483E-9477-6DE64164C419.jpeg 7D9A8DA8-CCA2-458C-BD15-DF9227265D9A.jpeg 64CD0D32-682C-4016-BD77-56D8F0D7E1C1.jpeg Coddled eggs are one of my guilty pleasures. I love all style of eggs, but coddled is a treat. They are basically a soft boiled egg but cooked in a special cup called a Coddler.

Please don’t take away my man card because of the flowers! They don’t make egg Coddlers with skulls, flames, or barbed wire motifs.

You oil the coddlers drop an egg in, boil the water Turn it down to a simmer. Place the coddlers into the water up to the caps. Then wait ten minutes. The margin of error seems higher than with boiling in the shell. They always come out perfect.

They have a lifting ring but they get hot so I use the hook on the Tac Tool, which also comes in handy to open the Anchovie tin. Luckily the were already filleted because the TacTool was not up to that task. Lol.

My last day of vacation and one of my goals for this week was to create an epic Becker use thread. I don’t post over here often and wanted to check in and let my Beckerhead brothers know I’m still alive and well.

I love eggs as well...but I don't like runny. They have to be fully cooked, never been a fan of liquid yolks, slimy whites...my dad loved soaking up his eggs with toast though. Don't know why I didn't inherit that, but my wife likes runny eggs too. Just not for me!

I love making omelets myself. 3 eggs is my preference, but 2 eggs cook quicker and are easier to flip. Love eggs though...we eat a lot of them here!

Curious to know the difference between coddled and poached eggs.
Seems like a similar process, is it just that coddled eggs have individual lids?

Curious to know the difference between coddled and poached eggs.
Seems like a similar process, is it just that coddled eggs have individual lids?

The water never touches the egg, so the pan stays clean, you don’t loose half the whites floating in the water.

A coddled egg falls somewhere between soft boiled and poached. But all three are very similar.

You can leave them in the pan longer to harden the yoke, but unlike a hard boiled egg, the whites don’t turn rubbery.

The neat thing is you can add salt pepper scallions etc to the egg before it cooks. Some people add cream or butter too. You can scramble them too.

I like the large one best, it can hold a couple eggs, or more ingredients.

I forgot to mention that you can do the same thing with a small mason jar too.

soc_monki soc_monki I love runny eggs, but eat a lot of omelettes, it’s usually what I bring to lunch. I’m not supposed to eat bread, so an omelette is a decent way to eat the same stuff with out the roll. An onion and Pastrami omelette is an excellent lunch.

A cold sub gets turned into a salad, a hot sub gets turned into an omelette.

Last edited:
View attachment 1388539 View attachment 1388540 View attachment 1388541 View attachment 1388542 Coddled eggs are one of my guilty pleasures. I love all style of eggs, but coddled is a treat. They are basically a soft boiled egg but cooked in a special cup called a Coddler.

Please don’t take away my man card because of the flowers! They don’t make egg Coddlers with skulls, flames, or barbed wire motifs.

You oil the coddlers drop an egg in, boil the water Turn it down to a simmer. Place the coddlers into the water up to the caps. Then wait ten minutes. The margin of error seems higher than with boiling in the shell. They always come out perfect.

They have a lifting ring but they get hot so I use the hook on the Tac Tool, which also comes in handy to open the Anchovie tin. Luckily the were already filleted because the TacTool was not up to that task. Lol.

My last day of vacation and one of my goals for this week was to create an epic Becker use thread. I don’t post over here often and wanted to check in and let my Beckerhead brothers know I’m still alive and well.
I like eggs a lot over easy, scrambled, omelettes, hard boiled, and soft boiled . Never heard of coddled and never tried poached . Might give coddled a try with just a little more cook time than the above.
Thanks for sharing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Coddled implies being gentle, it’s a gentle cooking method. The coddled eggs have a smooth texture, not really fluffy just smooth tender.

hard to describe, but different for sure.

You serve them in their little cup and they stay warm longer. I hate cold eggs.

Last edited:
I love them any way I can cook them.....but coddled is a treat 57DAC259-520B-48A5-8A01-8EAEA89AFB20.jpeg 452E1487-353A-47DB-A90C-B3D7837A7489.jpeg 33A0F970-976F-49CE-B085-88D2EACC6E8E.jpeg 856EB4F8-AB83-4058-8EAC-5A6F450B7D53.jpeg

view

Last edited:
In a past life, I had a set of coddlers. Usually only broke them out for the kind of brunch where you are serving mimosas.

My go to is basted, in butter. Put a lid on the pan. When the yolks turn pink, they’re done. Lately, though, I have been cooking them in the pan with the bacon, with a splash of balsamic vinegar, a variation on the black buttered eggs my pops used to cook. Oeufs au beurre noire were a breakfast staple for Nero Wolfe.

Henry Beige Henry Beige in one post you came up with 3 ways I’ve never tried, and a language lesson. Well played sir. Thank you.

Another great way is to poke a hole in a slice of white bread butter both sides drop it onto a hot skillet, let it start to fry then drop an egg into the hole lift the bread to let the white through leaving the yolk in the hole. Then flip and fry the other side. My kids call them bullseye eggs. If you want put a slice of American cheese on to melt after the flip.

Also I have found the Ranch dressing powder sprinkled onto eggs enhances the flavor of the eggs.

Last edited:
I can't wrap my head around runny egg whites, although, I do prefer the yolks to be liquid.

In any case, I'm gonna need to attempt this with some small mason jars, adding Salt, a little Brie or Camembert, some Scallions and/or some minced Shallots, and some Aged Cayenne, Scotch Bonnet, or Habanero Sauce.

I grew up with one of those Poachers with the little Stainless bowls that did 6 or 8 at once - funny....just last week I was thinking of looking for one of those. Poached is a nice change from fried, once in a while.....and I hate peeling boiled eggs.

:thumbsup:

Never heard of that myself. I like poached eggs okay, but my favs are over easy, or sunny side up. :thumbsup:
Ain't never heard of this either.
Why I like omelettes plenty good, and not so much scrambled is mysterious. Maybe because my egg cooking accidents end up scrambled.
I learned to fish on a dock using anchovie fillets for bait. Between 'chovies and sardines, I eat everything out of the can, no need to fillet. :p:thumbsup:

Back