Code 4 clip point...

I have been using this knife for past few days and its performance really surprised me.High hollow grind slices and cuts like a monster,and is easy to get sharp.Grind is thin behind the edge, so I didn't have to reprofile it and factory edge is still on it.Thanx Cold Steel on great performing knife,especially for the price.

I like mine too, just wish there was a little more traction to the grip (maybe some Mayo-style holes or something). I was thinking about putting some grip-tape on there, but it would ruin the good looks.

I have this knife in my top 5, but I'm really unsiure about the AUS-8A steel. I know it's different from AUS-8, many comparisons place AUS-8 at the same level as 8Cr13MoV, and logically AUS-8A should be on a similar level as Sandvik 14c28n.

Any hands on comparisons with this kinds of steel compared to other mid-range steels such as 14C28N, 154CM and VG10?

Cold Steel has a good track record for their Aus-8A, as they have been using it for about 20 years now.

It will take a very sharp edge and it is easy to keep it that way by stropping it on plain leather.

It will have less edge-holding than 154CM and VG-10 because they have more carbon.

My Cold Steel Code 4 Clip Point is one of my sharpest knifes, I touch it up with my sharpening system keeping the factory edge angles and then finish it on my strop and it´s level of sharpness is simply awsome!

Great knife, slim, light weight, sharp, strongest and more secure lock in the world, aluminium handles, great ergonomics, excelente steel treatment, good looking and all of this for a desent price.

Keep it up CS

Oh yeah, Its one of the sharpest knives I have too.So easy to get sharp and keeps edge well.I give it couple swipes on ceramics or india stone and its back to hair whittling sharp.

Yet again, Powernoodle saves the day with a pic.
101.gif

code4_zps98bd6130.jpg

I really like the looks and price of the Code 4 knife, but the slick handle is such a "show-stopper". Zero traction plan. Oh well.
I really like AUS 8 too. I feel comfortable sharpening this great, value steel.

Last edited:
True about the slick sides. But they won't shred your pocket, either, and they make it a pleasure to extract. The sculpting and finger cutouts do provide a good grip for EDC, irrespective of the slick sides.

Yes, the handle scales are slippery, but I have found them easy to get used to.

(I have found that I don't care for a lot of other brands of metal-handled knives, but this one works very well for me.)

This is a slightly scaled-down version of the Recon 1 handle.

They can be engraved or traction grip/skateboard tape can be added to them too.

I have this knife in my top 5, but I'm really unsiure about the AUS-8A steel. I know it's different from AUS-8, many comparisons place AUS-8 at the same level as 8Cr13MoV, and logically AUS-8A should be on a similar level as Sandvik 14c28n.

Any hands on comparisons with this kinds of steel compared to other mid-range steels such as 14C28N, 154CM and VG10?

AUS8A is just AU8 delivered in an annealed state. The difference between Cold Steel's AUS8 and other people's AUS8 is their investment in a top quality heat treatment. That allows their steel to act much like a high carbon steel, taking a razor edge very easily while still being acceptably corrosion resistant.

Heat treatment and edge geometry are why, for example, Buck can make a good knife with 420HC steel whereas most other people can't.

I really like the looks and price of the Code 4 knife, but the slick handle is such a "show-stopper". Zero traction plan. Oh well.
I really like AUS 8 too. I feel comfortable sharpening this great, value steel.

Why does CS torture it's loyal customers by refusing to make a 3-4 oz folder with a satin/stonewashed 3. 5- 4 inch blade and G-10 slabs. Maybe they are waiting until sales start to sag a little. Hopefully I won't be in a nursing home when they are finally released.

Buy a Cold Steel American Lawman, strip the black coating. Apparently the blade is stonewashed underneath.

[video=youtube;0nGzcG5KSP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nGzcG5KSP4[/video]

Aus8a is so much better than some harder supersteels for field use.Its tougher, doesn't rust and very easy to sharpen.Keeps decent edge too.

Buy a Cold Steel American Lawman, strip the black coating. Apparently the blade is stonewashed underneath.

[video=youtube;0nGzcG5KSP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nGzcG5KSP4[/video]

I have an American Lawmen. I would like to try to strip it's blade and lockbar, but I don't want to scrape or sand. I am looking for a stripper that is not hazardous if splattered on skin. I wonder if the citrus based stripper is safe? Can't find too much info.

I used mu Code4 on a 2 day camping trip on weekend, for food preparation mostly and it performed really well.To test it more I cut dozen of chicken bones on purpose and it had no effect on edge that was sharpened on brown spyderco ceramics.Knife was still shaving hair:).When I got back home put it on sharpmaker(2swipes each side) and it was hair whittling sharp again.aus8a by cold steel is very good, cant wait to test the knives in xhp.Behaves like a carbon steel, but doesn't rust.

What angle did you use, 30 or 40? And did the edge require re-profiling to be able to use the Sharpmaker?

Yes, the edge was reprofiled(thinned out almost flat to the stone).Microbevel is 40degrees on sharpmaker.Cuts like crazy and easy to resharpen.

In regard to the Code 4's smooth handle, has anyone tried bead blasting one? It seems like that would increase the traction, and might give it a cool look also.

I like the idea of having it engraved too. Having a meaningful design engraved on the handle would increase the sentimental value while also adding traction.

I have one with the serrations and unfortunately I have a damaged serration. I retired the knife was thinking of getting another one though.

Back