Cold Steel Code 4 Review

Smaug

Gold Member
Grip: 9/10. It is thin, so it can't be a 10/10. But let me just say that I don't miss the thickness for the type of cutting I do. (Daily stuff, mostly one cut at a time)

Action: 10/10. Smooth and bank-vault lock-up, as usual.

Blade Steel: 9/10. No complaints about well-tempered S35VN! I won't knock it for not being a Super Steel, because it's so well-rounded.

Edge Grind: 10/10. Cold Steel NAILED it. The edge was ground kind of shallow, and perfectly even. It only took a few minutes to put a fine 40° micro-bevel on it with my Sharpmaker. I'm betting the factory grind is between 15-17°.

Flickability: 5/10. It always takes me a bit of getting used to, to go back to a thumb stud after having become accustomed to a flipper or big hole. Once re-calibrated, it's as slick as can be. -5 points for the always-awkward one-handed closing of a back lock. It's just the price we pay. With a wrist snap and just a bit of forearm inertia, the blade flies open with a satisfying snap.

Value: 9/10. Due to the good materials, excellent fit & finish and outstanding overall execution, this gets the 2nd highest grade. Only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because knives like the Steel Will have raised the bar a bit for value. But from an American company and Taiwanese build? It doesn't get better.

Fit & Finish: 10/10. Perfect execution. Bravo!

Clip: 9/10. Very tight at first, but this means it can be tuned to suit anyone's preference. Since the handle doesn't abrade the pants, I like it to where I'm still able to slide it on the pocket with one hand. But tight enough that if I'm swinging upside down on the monkey bars with my daughter, it doesn't drop out. (like my first Spydiechef did, with its much-lauded wire clip...) One other thing worth pointing out is that the smallish pocket clip doesn't give away how big the knife is. It's not "deep carry", but you probably wouldn't guess I'm packing a knife with a 3-5/8" blade from a glance at the clip and the bottom end of the knife.

Looks: 9/10. Love the looks of this knife, both in the pocket and out.

Cutting: 9/10. This S35VN took a screaming sharp edge, with just 5 minutes on the Sharpmaker @ 40°. I grabbed it by the wrong choil one time while disengaging the lock. The blade gently guillotined down on my finger. Just the slightest tap and I was bleeding before I knew it. I chopped some apples, sliced up some boxes and a few zip ties. It's not a great slicer, but it's not bad either. The blade is long enough that the thumb stud would only get in the way when using 100% of the sharpened edge.

Overall: 10/10. I couldn't be happier. It's a good value, good steel, flawless execution. The only thing I'm left wanting is a smaller version to go with it.

Who is this for?: A fellow who likes a blade on the longer side for EDC, but who doesn't want an overly chunky knife or grippy handles or scales. It works surprisingly well in business casual (slacks). Hides in the pocket and curves away from a hand reaching in next to it. It also is a great choice for the man who likes to be able to use his knife to cut straight across an apple in one fell swoop. It's fun to play with because it's so smooth, but of course it doesn't flick closed so gracefully.

Here's a companion YouTube video:

Solid review, i almost fully agree with it.

One note, why is S35VN not a super steel? Considering it seems to be the most well rounded steel, id consider that pretty super.

Are the handles gold colored or is that my computer playing tricks on me?

Thank you for the review. I have held off buying one for nearly a year but keep inching closer to pulling the trigger when I read opinions like yours.

Does anyone have insight as to how the S35VN compares to the discontinued CTS-XHP? I am wondering whether I should hold out for an XHP model to come up on the exchange or just order a new model. Is the difference negligible?

Thank you for the review. I have held off buying one for nearly a year but keep inching closer to pulling the trigger when I read opinions like yours.

Does anyone have insight as to how the S35VN compares to the discontinued CTS-XHP? I am wondering whether I should hold out for an XHP model to come up on the exchange or just order a new model. Is the difference negligible?
I have an American Lawman in CTS-XHP; it takes a very fine edge and holds it a long time, as witness Cold Steel's video on cutting hemp rope. I've found S35Vn (Sebbie 21, Spyderco Native 5) easier to sharpen; it will also take a very fine edge though I can't say how much hemp rope it would cut. I think CTS-XHP is maybe a higher Rockwell than my knives in S35Vn. In real life, either would serve very well.

Of course, I agree. I've got one and like it very much too. ;)

Reliable YouTube'r shows xhp better edge retention than s35vn ,which I agree with probably a little less tough though,I would get the xhp especially Cold Steel's xhp they have among the best heat treat than most of the other big knife mfg.
I have the code4 in aus8 & xhp (honestly they are both excellent ,awesome knife wish they would do a g10 version though

Solid review, i almost fully agree with it.

One note, why is S35VN not a super steel? Considering it seems to be the most well rounded steel, id consider that pretty super.
I agree, it's awesome.

Why not? Because it doesn't approach Rc 70. These days, how well-rounded a steel is less of a factor than how hard it is. (right or wrong)

The knife is just awesome. Even if XHP is a smidge better, (I don't know, never had XHP, nor do I use a knife hard enough to ever find out) I don't think you would ever notice. The action and fit & finish are just great. It is a top value in a 3.5" folder. Easily on par with a Spyderco costing $100+.

The knife is just awesome. Even if XHP is a smidge better, (I don't know, never had XHP, nor do I use a knife hard enough to ever find out) I don't think you would ever notice. The action and fit & finish are just great. It is a top value in a 3.5" folder. Easily on par with a Spyderco costing $100+.
I ve been noticing the value edge CS has on Spyderco s comparable knives, just as I used to notice the value edge Spyderco had on Benchmade.
Benchmade no longer seems to be in the value discussion.
The Code 4 is a nice knife. G10 scales would be a popular improvement.

The problem is that with G10 it would be thicker. I like the thinness on this one.

I ve been noticing the value edge CS has on Spyderco s comparable knives, just as I used to notice the value edge Spyderco had on Benchmade.
Benchmade no longer seems to be in the value discussion.
The Code 4 is a nice knife. G10 scales would be a popular improvement.
Smooth G10 would be a nice option, as long as it wasn't too thick. Hate to ruin that aspect of this knife. This is my go-to 3-and-a-half-incher now.

I ve been noticing the value edge CS has on Spydercos comparable knives, just as I used to notice the value edge Spyderco had on Benchmade.
Benchmade no longer seems to be in the value discussion. The Code 4 is a nice knife. G10 scales would be a popular improvement.

I've got over 70 Spyders and only a handful of Benchmade (9) and Cold Steel (8) knifes. That's mainly because Spyderco has a far more interesting variety of knives to me than do the other 2 companies. Most of the Benchmades I own are autos and balisongs, w/only 2 folders. All of the Cold Steel knives are folders w/only 1 push blade.

In terms of cost, Cold Steel is obviously the cheapest but I think that the lower cost is reflected in the "quality" of construction and materials used. That's not to say that Cold Steels knives are inferior in terms of construction and materials but there is no mistaking the rudimentary simplicity in the design and construction of Cold Steel knives when compared w/Spyderco or Benchmade, neither of which specialize in making any "low cost" knives.

Note: Forgot about Spyderco's "economy" lines, some of which I own but I generally don't think of those knives when I think of Spyderco.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion ^^^ but it makes no sense to me. :confused: You indicate Spyderco makes no "low cost knives", I sure don't know your definition (Tenacious, Ambitious). Cold Steel knives are inferior quality but not "inferior". :confused: For the record, I have 1 (Mel Pardue bought years ago) Benchmade; like it but for various reasons will never buy another, 8 or 10 Spydercos but for various reasons will "probably" not buy another, and 22 Cold Steel knives (many other hawks, etc.) and would buy more. "Vive le difference". :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good review!!

I like my Code 4 a lot. The only thing about it that I don’t like is how slippery the scales are when it gets sweaty or blood on it. I would like it textured.

I respect your opinion ^^^ but it makes no sense to me. :confused: Spyderco makes no "low cost knives", I sure don't know your definition (Tenacious, Ambitious). Cold Steel knives are inferior quality but not "inferior". :confused: For the record, I have 1 (Mel Pardue bought years ago) Benchmade; like it but for various reasons will never buy another, 8 or 10 Spydercos but for various reasons will "probably" not buy another, and 22 Cold Steel knives (many other hawks, etc.) and would buy more. "Vive le difference". :thumbsup:
I can't understand this. Spyderco does make low-cost knives, you even listed a few. But they're not nearly as good as Cold Steel in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good review!!

I like my Code 4 a lot. The only thing about it that I don’t like is how slippery the scales are when it gets sweaty or blood on it. I would like it textured.

That was the turn off for me when the Code 4 first came out.

I found one fault today with my CTS-XHP Code 4! At -40 F the handle/frame is to cold to handle bare handed! I had to pull the S35VN Recon 1 out for the few seconds of cutting I needed! I found I needed the clip point variant of the blade, but it does look very drop pointish. I'll be happy to get one again even in S35VN after seeing the CTS-XHP are gone from knife center.

I've got over 70 Spyders and only a handful of Benchmade (9) and Cold Steel (8) knifes. That's mainly because Spyderco has a far more interesting variety of knives to me than do the other 2 companies. Most of the Benchmades I own are autos and balisongs, w/only 2 folders. All of the Cold Steel knives are folders w/only 1 push blade.

In terms of cost, Cold Steel is obviously the cheapest but I think that the lower cost is reflected in the "quality" of construction and materials used. That's not to say that Cold Steels knives are inferior in terms of construction and materials but there is no mistaking the rudimentary simplicity in the design and construction of Cold Steel knives when compared w/Spyderco or Benchmade, neither of which specialize in making any "low cost" knives.

Note: Forgot about Spyderco's "economy" lines, some of which I own but I generally don't think of those knives when I think of Spyderco.
Cold Steel definitely doesn t have the variety of folders that Spyderco has. And they don t offer the variety of blade steels Spyderco offers with their sprint runs. But their g10 s35v folders are much cheaper than the Comparable folders from Spyderco and just as well made with stronger designs. The best feature that Spyderco has always had was the useability of their folders, despite how some of them looked. The useability is also one of Cold Steel s greatest features. With surprisinly good ergonomics. For much less money.
Comparing two mainstays from each company, the American Lawman and the Recon1 easily compete with the PM2 and the Military. And I currently edc all of these in my rotation of outdoor work knives.

Back