Cody Lundin Knife?

There was snow on the ground. I didn't want to be unable to see all the broken glass, so I wore some minimalist shoes instead ;)

You just have to train your mitochondrial DNA for the snow, glass and thorns. It helps if you wear ribbons in your hair too, I hear. :p

It appears that some people like him and some dont. Some hate him and some love him. I believe he is extremely knowledgable in his field. I like him, but I dont have to like him to give him credit for his achievements. We must give credit where credit is due. I dont buy into the "Dual Survival" show stuff. Its got Hollywood script all over it. The show was and is created for ratings and thats the bottom line. There is some to learn from it but as time goes on not very much. I would bet vital parts of my anatomy that the "experts" dont talk about one another at length like this. They dont care and they have better things to do.

I have been a musician for twenty years and I will say that "hating" certain styles of music has never produced any musical growth within myself. Each genre offers some gem of knowledge however small it may be. I feel this is the same for most topics in blades, bushcraft and survival. Find the good in people and their ways and ignore the rest. You will grow more complete with a much more firm understanding of the art.

Again with the "hate". I believe you do misunderstand and believe that I, and possibly Skyhorse and a few others, have an emotional investment in the guy. We do not. In fact we just have little use for what is nowdays called "cult of personality". I understand that few people these days grow up really connected to the land. And they are willing to pay good money to someone who seems to have a certain "enlightenment" to give them a crash course in "survival" if they can fit it into their schedule. And that is fine.

People have done a variation of this throughout history. Outdoorsmen have made a decent living with guide services and "dude ranches" forever. They cater to and give their clients what they expect. All the better if they add an element of mysticism and entertainment. That earns them bonuses and return clients and a bit of notoriety from word of mouth that adds to their income opportunities. Sometimes it lands them magazine articles and even tv shows which in turn increase their class/outing participants. Some, the more sucessful, are the P.T. Barnams of the great outdoors.

Now, script or not, one can understand why a serious outdoorsman might have some difficulty being repeatedly paired with them for a drama series based upon "survival". They can see through the hype up close and personal. Nope, no emotional investment here and no hero worship. As I said before, we have members here with more knowledge and experience and they share it with us gratis all the time. Read all the books you want on "survival topics". I love to read, always have. And will as long as I am able. But don't get all invested in the "cult of personality". Or do. We all make our own choices. I choose to ocassionally entertain myself with lampooning so-called "eggs-spurts". It is good for me and it is good for them.

It appears that some people like him and some dont. Some hate him and some love him. I believe he is extremely knowledgable in his field. I like him, but I dont have to like him to give him credit for his achievements. We must give credit where credit is due. I dont buy into the "Dual Survival" show stuff. Its got Hollywood script all over it. The show was and is created for ratings and thats the bottom line. There is some to learn from it but as time goes on not very much. I would bet vital parts of my anatomy that the "experts" dont talk about one another at length like this. They dont care and they have better things to do.

I have been a musician for twenty years and I will say that "hating" certain styles of music has never produced any musical growth within myself. Each genre offers some gem of knowledge however small it may be. I feel this is the same for most topics in blades, bushcraft and survival. Find the good in people and their ways and ignore the rest. You will grow more complete with a much more firm understanding of the art.

Definitely good stuff. Take away from it what you can and spend the time using it to grow yourself. Can't knock that.

Again with the "hate". I believe you do misunderstand and believe that I, and possibly Skyhorse and a few others, have an emotional investment in the guy. We do not. In fact we just have little use for what is nowdays called "cult of personality". I understand that few people these days grow up really connected to the land. And they are willing to pay good money to someone who seems to have a certain "enlightenment" to give them a crash course in "survival" if they can fit it into their schedule. And that is fine.

People have done a variation of this throughout history. Outdoorsmen have made a decent living with guide services and "dude ranches" forever. They cater to and give their clients what they expect. All the better if they add an element of mysticism and entertainment. That earns them bonuses and return clients and a bit of notoriety from word of mouth that adds to their income opportunities. Sometimes it lands them magazine articles and even tv shows which in turn increase their class/outing participants. Some, the more sucessful, are the P.T. Barnams of the great outdoors.

Now, script or not, one can understand why a serious outdoorsman might have some difficulty being repeatedly paired with them for a drama series based upon "survival". They can see through the hype up close and personal. Nope, no emotional investment here and no hero worship. As I said before, we have members here with more knowledge and experience and they share it with us gratis all the time. Read all the books you want on "survival topics". I love to read, always have. And will as long as I am able. But don't get all invested in the "cult of personality". Or do. We all make our own choices. I choose to ocassionally entertain myself with lampooning so-called "eggs-spurts". It is good for me and it is good for them.

Not sure if this was aimed at me, but I never intended my comment to be aimed at you. I am using "hate" as a general term. Also not sure what "egg-spurts" are??? Im sure there are people with more experience than Cody, not many but they are out there and as far as "serious outdoorsman seeing through the hype", that is all conjecture. Now, if we were to add up how many hours someone like Cody has logged in the woods in his 55 yrs of living, I would have to guess its quite an impressive amount. Dave Canterbury spends 100+ nights a year in the woods!!! Lets ponder that for a few minutes. That's about one in every three nights. Talk about submersion in the field!!!

Cody FOUNDED his school in 1991, long before he became a TV personality. Lets not forget that part. If Cody is not an expert than nobody is. Once again, you don't have to watch him, agree with him or like him. But you do have to give credit where it is due and stop looking at the last 5yrs of his career and start looking at the 30yrs that came before that. I am NOT "invested in the cult of personality". I have no emotional state in Cody Lundin to even have a deep opinion about him. I don't have television to watch him and from the 30 hours I have seen of him it is not enough to make an opinion about the thousands of hours I haven't seen of him, but there is no doubt in my mind that he is an expert in his field. Also who are these experts with more knowledge that you speak of if you don't mind me asking? And, if they got a TV show tomorrow would you then be referring to them as "egg-spurts"? Remember that "real people" are boring for audiences and they must have an entertainment value to get ratings. So most likely the Cody you see on TV is far from the "real" Cody you see in the bush.

Go to his website and click on resume....enough said...

Last edited:
Yes, killing a man for being a "hippie" and leaving him dead for the buzzards is a little strange of a comment. Really? Killing someone and leaving them for dead is somehow cool? More like psycho. Didn't know TV could bring men to such noble thoughts. Guess television has more power than we think. ;) Where is hypnotoad?!?!
Tell me where I mentioned I'd KILL him genius ? Lmao,the hate comment tells me you are one of Gods special little snowflakes indeed. :)

Nobody ever mentioned killing anyone. A poster simply commented leaving him for the buzzards. To me that implies going your own way and letting Darwin take it's course.

I think this thread gave me a new insight though. A lot of posters (and I'm assuming younger ones) that use social media seem to be very driven by other people's perceptions. Comments like "a lot of hate", etc. People (I'm assuming older, like me) who don't participate in social media really don't care what others think about us, and that kind of language just rolls off our backs. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. Not a criticism, just an observation.
I share and agree with your observation. Having lived most my life outdoors starting from a very young boy,then being a 17 year old paratrooper during Nam have given me a different perspective than some of the crap they show on T.V. Lol, I'm shocked the kid didn't brand me a racist too.:D

Thank Codg, as entertaining as that T V show may be going into the wilderness half naked is never a good idea! He has a disclaimer for the trip and sue lawyers. :D

(In short, watch the show, laugh, and learn a survival trick or two. But…never, ever base your emergency preparedness plan on a television show.)

Sincerely,
Cody

Not sure if ....enough said...
Snipped for brevity, not to exclude content.

You apparently hold him in high regard. That is fine. I have read his "resume". And yes, he founded his "school" in 1991. The same year my truck was made. I've seen his "education credentials" and magazine articles about him. And I am not impressed. He seems to make a good living with his schtick and have a group of dedicated followers. And they do get rightously indignant when their hero's chops are called into question. They type in bold letters and refer to internet sources.

He does what he likes to do and gets paid for it. So do Tom Brown and others. Each has his own developed "stage persona" and claims. And I'm cool with that. I just don't hold them in any particular high regard as some do.

Who are the experts here? They post here all sorts of information for us to read. It will take you far more than fifteen days to read it all though. Some lead jungle survival expeditions and schools. Some have spent more time in the outdoors than you have been alive. Some design and review knives and outdoor gear. Some are genuine wilderness rescue and medical experts. Some are dedicated hunters whose chops rival Teddy Roosevelt's. Many go places that most of us will never see except in the pictures they bring back. Some few are among that group called "quiet professionals" who have seen the elephant. It is up to you to search these forums and decide for yourself who the experts are. Welcome to the forum! :) :thumbup:

Snipped for brevity, not to exclude content.

You apparently hold him in high regard. That is fine. I have read his "resume". And yes, he founded his "school" in 1991. The same year my truck was made. I've seen his "education credentials" and magazine articles about him. And I am not impressed. He seems to make a good living with his schtick and have a group of dedicated followers. And they do get rightously indignant when their hero's chops are called into question. They type in bold letters and refer to internet sources.

He does what he likes to do and gets paid for it. So do Tom Brown and others. Each has his own developed "stage persona" and claims. And I'm cool with that. I just don't hold them in any particular high regard as some do.

Who are the experts here? They post here all sorts of information for us to read. It will take you far more than fifteen days to read it all though. Some lead jungle survival expeditions and schools. Some have spent more time in the outdoors than you have been alive. Some design and review knives and outdoor gear. Some are genuine wilderness rescue and medical experts. Some are dedicated hunters whose chops rival Teddy Roosevelt's. Many go places that most of us will never see except in the pictures they bring back. Some few are among that group called "quiet professionals" who have seen the elephant. It is up to you to search these forums and decide for yourself who the experts are. Welcome to the forum! :) :thumbup:

What does it matter what year your truck was made? Don't look at me for a new truck!!!:) Its not that I hold him in high regards its that he IS an expert, like it or not. I would defend anyone with a resume such as his. Even though YOU are not impressed with his resume. What's yours look like may I ask? Don't tell me your one of those "quiet professionals". I asked you who these people were with all this experience and you gave me an answer that was a cop-out. YOU told me these people are here, so I asked you who they are with genuine curiosity and you tell me " search the forums and decide for yourself". OK??? There are many quite professionals, the majority are not even members of forums. Many do not post pictures and have youtube channels either.
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here and if you do answer one of my questions......What are "egg spurts"??? LOL:D

Take care buddy

Last edited:
You guys are way too serious about who has what view of whom and why. Go camping this weekend and enjoy the fire, some bacon and a nice brew. Then share some cool pics with us and we'll all.................feel better. Ha-ha!!!!

You guys are way too serious about who has what view of whom and why. Go camping this weekend and enjoy the fire, some bacon and a nice brew. Then share some cool pics with us and we'll all.................feel better. Ha-ha!!!!

Now there is some good advice! Get out of you parent's basements and do it instead of criticizing how someone else does it! TV is no substitute for the real thing.

What does it matter what year your truck was made? Don't look at me for a new truck!!!:) Its not that I hold him in high regards its that he IS an expert, like it or not. I would defend anyone with a resume such as his. Even though YOU are not impressed with his resume. What's yours look like may I ask? Don't tell me your one of those "quiet professionals". I asked you who these people were with all this experience and you gave me an answer that was a cop-out. YOU told me these people are here, so I asked you who they are with genuine curiosity and you tell me " search the forums and decide for yourself". OK??? There are many quite professionals, the majority are not even members of forums. Many do not post pictures and have youtube channels either.
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here and if you do answer one of my questions......What are "egg spurts"??? LOL:D

Take care buddy

Friend, as I suggested, hang out here for a while and get to know the members. You can decide for yourself who the experts are. As for myself, I am just some old coot born before color tv. I was rambling the woods and fields with a shotgun before many of the people here were born. My resume doesn't mean squat. I am not here to promote myself, a book or a website, tv show or movie. I enjoy reading the varied experiences and opinions of the members here and occasionally tossing in my two cents. Wanna real adventure? We have members who can take you to a tropical jungle and almost always suceed in bringing you back alive and much wiser for the experience. Heck, they might even take Cody for a sufficient fee. Eventually you will learn which members write for national magazines. That is cool.

Enjoy the forum. Explore it and go on trips with these guys. Learn from their mistakes and their experience. Marvel at the beautiful photography and learn about plants, animals, hunting, fishing, snaring, making things and comradery. There is a sort of natural rythm here. It takes a while to catch the cadence and develop relationships. And to know when people are being light-hearted. Or taking things way too seriously.

"Egg-spurts"? Aw, you know... poking fun at the arrogance of self-proclaimed expertise.

By the way, I don't want another truck. This one suits me just fine, but thanks for the offer. I do like the looks of those King Ranch trucks though and love the smell of the leather interiors. Just in case. ;)

Who's this Cody guy? Is he a knife maker?:confused:

Cody Lundin runs a wilderness survival school. He has written several books on survival, including 98.6 - The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive. He has also appeared on TV many times, including in the Program, Duel Survival.

As always, Google is your friend.

Kent (Mewolf1) was just joshin' Thomas. He is one of our not-self-proclaimed eggspurts. And my sometimes partner in crime (figuratively of course).

Maybe I'll dig my camera out tomorrow and take a picture of the bison rib firebow he made me. I think I can find the kit and the pack of non-indiginous birch bark tender. Heck, if it rains all day I'll do it on my back porch and get my picture on the hidden trail cam I installed to catch the thief varments.

:)

It's all good. What would life be and how much would we learn if there wasn't any banter?:thumbup:

Wanna real adventure? We have members who can take you to a tropical jungle and almost always suceed in bringing you back alive and much wiser for the experience.

Almost always? Wow!!! LOL.

Which members can take me on a tropical adventure? Sounds like fun. And I did not offer to buy you a truck especially one with a leather interior.:)

Parents are dead, and I dont have a TV. Nobody here is too serious about Cody here, at least I think. Just having a friendly discussion.

Back