Coffin handled utility,opinions please (pics)

OK I have settled on a pattern for a set knife pattern from my shop.This is a reproduction of the utility version of the guardless coffin handled Bowie that was supposed to have been made by James Black.I do think I will make the temper line reach farther towards the tip than this is now though.Here are the specs:
10 inch over all knife,stock removal full tang from 1/8 inch 1050,off grinder finsh with a light etchingto age the blade,Black Walnut scales with brass pins.I will be offering these with different wood scales upon request.And they will be available for $100.00 without a sheath or $125.00 with a sheath.Is this a fair price?..Need your opinions please..Also a name for itLike"coffin utility" or something like that..:D

Oct17_06.jpg

Oct17_03.jpg

Bruce that temper line is freaking incredible. For a name, following the old west theme, how about "Pony Soldier"?

Hugh

I really hate to say this, as that thing has me tempted to put some money towardsw a new knife, but wondering if that price might be too low. It's up to you of course if you tihnk that's a valid price for work you invest, but man is that a beautiful piece. Simple, elegant, and looks great. I'd love to have one. ;)

Well, I think it`s more then fsir for an B.E. knife
I like Pony Soldier but how about B.E.K.
for Donna Evans Knife

Originally posted by beknives
I will be offering these with different wood scales upon request.And they will be available for $100.00 without a sheath or $125.00 with a sheath.Is this a fair price?..Need your opinions please..Also a name for itLike"coffin utility" or something like that..:D

Is that a fair price? Hmmmm... lets see...... YUP!!!!! For the quality of work you are putting out those prices are exceptional. I don't think there will be anybody complaining about the price.;)
Can't really think of a name right now.

well are you still calling your damascus, frontier? frontier bowie? i like the design how fine are you finishing the blade?

Thanks everybody.I am glad you all like it.
The finish is a dull 320 grit belt finish then etched and quick buffed,This is not by any means a show piece or showing my top capabilities in my work.I was trying to make something I liked and wasn't flooded on the market already,at a price most anyone could afford.Plus this pattern will allow a couple different blade shapes later on...
Basic Black,Sure, but I will have to either get some Micarta or use maple scales dyed bLACK or bump the price up a little for Ebony,I think the black handle will look really good with this knife also.
I am planning on making a pouch style sheath covered with a thin leather and fringed on the one edge only,I still haven't learned how to make a Kydex sheath and would rather leave it to others so I can consentrate on my metal and throat and tipped style sheaths,that is why I am pricing these with or without sheaths...
I may have to go up on the price in the future but at this time I can make these for this price and make some money also...
Guess I will see how they sell at the local gun show next month then at Blade in June..
Orders what are those:eek:He-He-He I wasn't trying to sell here just get some feed back...But if someone wants one at the first here just email me...

Thanks again everybody..Keep the names comming
Bruce

I was thinking the price over again and have decided that I WILL Hold this price up to and during the Blade show.Then after the Blade show the price will go up to the $125.00 and $150.00 mark.I will do this so you guys here on the forums will have first chance at them and get a better price on the first ones.This knife is available also and I will mark it as the first of this pattern for the first one to say they want to purchase it:D
Bruce

Bruce,I like it.I think you should do very well with it.It's a cool style that you don't see offered at that price,at least I haven't.:)

Considering its provenance, how about "James Black Utility" or JBU. I also like naming it after Donna, given all the support she offers your work.

Also sign me up. I'm sending mail.

Dave

how 'bout calling it the "Undertaker"

That is a great knife Bruce but the price is too low
I would go with $150 no sheath $175 or more with a
sheath depending how fancy it is. One of the reasons
for this is that most of my knives are sold through
a dealer so I have to take in to account his mark up
Gib

Man I like all these names.I will have to check around and make sure no one else has the names already..I was thinking of the JBU but I was going to add a r for reproduction and it didn't have the correct ring but I could drop it and it sounds cool.
I think I will wait on naming one for Donna on a reall classy and sexy piece..
Thanks everybody...
Bruce

Dave has bought the #1 knife....Thanks Dave...
I have decided that I will number the first 10 for you guys on these first ones to make them a little more special,then there will be no more numbers on them.
I have had another name suggested---- Black Coffin----
That sounds cool also....

Here is the list so far
Pony soldier
James Black utility or "JBU"
Undertaker
Black Coffin

What? You didn't like "Sharecropper's Revenge" ???
How about
MSU?
(Mississippi Utility)
T/U1800
(Tacticle/Utility 1800's)
The next standard model should be Donna's Dagger
:)
What?
Stick with the day job?
OK
:D

Bruce, thats a nice piece. Love that temper line. It looks a little like a Natchez Bowie to me - a coffin handled, guardless with a more spear or drop point rather than the archetypal clip point Bowie. Yours has a nice classic look to it. Personally I prefer a more dehorned handle profile, but I love the coffin-shaped grips.

Good work. For the price, you'd better make more of them. I'd love to see what sort of sheath you'd make for it.

Cheers.

Back