"Coin" edge on a spacer... How do you do it?

Hankins

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
"Coin" edge on a spacer... How do you do it?
Have seen some of the coolest looking guard spacers done that way...

While there are probably lots of ways to do it, I think most of us just use a jewelers saw and a triangular file.

Mark the disk in fourths with a Sharpie and make a shallow saw cut at those marks. Then bisect each quadrant ( I do it by eye), and make a saw mark....then bisect those segments...etc. When you like the spacing, take the file and give each cut mark a stroke. A light buffing with a brass wheel and then a touch on a loose muslin buff will finish the job.

Thats all there is to it.

Okay, I've coined guards and then I heard you could do it with checkering files.

Anyone ever try thread files. I picked up a thread file after someone told me to try one to checker wood with.

Thought I'd throw that out and see if anyone has any experience with this.

Dave from Diller

There are many hand tools that put a set of parallel lines on a surface - checkering files are one we use for this purpose.

The problem with using any of them to do a coin edge is that they are a flat plane, and the guard piece to be coined is a curved surface. The file will only cut one or two lines at a time ( and of uneven depth), and keeping them lined up will be nearly impossible.

The machinist way is to use a coining/knurling die/tool and turn the edge on the lathe. Guys like Nathan the Machinist will probably set up their $100K CNC milling machine to mill them in precisely.

The only way I know to get a perfect coin edge other than machining it with thousands of dollars of equipment, is to take fifteen minutes and use $50 dollars worth of hand tools.
Jewelers saw - $30
Gross of 1/0 blades $10
#4 or #6 cut tri-corner Valtitan needle file - $10
The look on peoples faces when you tell them you did it by hand - Priceless

Back