Cold blued, not for food prep?

Hmmm, I'm a firearms dealer and gunsmith by trade....and have no hair.....and bad nails.....I wonder

Hmmm, I'm a firearms dealer and gunsmith by trade....and have no hair.....and bad nails.....I wonder

If you do hot blueing, the caustic salts used in the solution will leave you hairless. Same principle as Nair. How's your diet? Bad diet can leave nails bad but so can caustics.

and here I was thinking that total body hair depilation only occurred to Mr. Terrio!

I'm not set up to hot blue but I do a ton of touchups and I mod CS Hawks using heated cold blue. I have been diagnosed with lead and heavy metal poisonings on 3 occasions. Risks of the trade lol

Sounds like rubber gloves and a respirator should go on the shopping list. Be VERY careful with that crap. A lot of those elements are nearly impossible, if not impossible, to remove, so someday the overdose could become a permanent, fatal thing. Heating that solution can cause volatile crap to gas off and be inhaled. Some things will "boil off" as an invisible vapor long before "boiling" is observed and should not be heated at all. Should always be used in a well ventilated space, never in a closed room or garage.

Had an EMS call back in the day where the we got a call for "General Illness", radio code for "We don't have a clue what's wrong, The dude is sick. Wear your PPE (personal protective equipment) for sure." When we got there, he was presenting a mish-mash of symptoms - part flu, part diabetic, part drunk, part dementia. During our scene and patient assessment, we determined that the guy had a part-time "job/hobby" of burning car batteries to extract the lead and also melted down wheel weights to scavenge lead. All we could do was strap him down on a gurney and transport him to the hospital. A week later we heard he had died and the autopsy determined lead poisoning to be the cause of death. He had been evidencing symptoms for a while, but when he hit the critical level of metabolic lead poisoning (different for every person and based on size, rate, method and frequency of introduction to the body). Not a peaceful way to go.

Sounds like rubber gloves and a respirator should go on the shopping list. Be VERY careful with that crap. A lot of those elements are nearly impossible, if not impossible, to remove, so someday the overdose could become a permanent, fatal thing. Heating that solution can cause volatile crap to gas off and be inhaled. Some things will "boil off" as an invisible vapor long before "boiling" is observed and should not be heated at all. Should always be used in a well ventilated space, never in a closed room or garage.

Had an EMS call back in the day where the we got a call for "General Illness", radio code for "We don't have a clue what's wrong, The dude is sick. Wear your PPE (personal protective equipment) for sure." When we got there, he was presenting a mish-mash of symptoms - part flu, part diabetic, part drunk, part dementia. During our scene and patient assessment, we determined that the guy had a part-time "job/hobby" of burning car batteries to extract the lead and also melted down wheel weights to scavenge lead. All we could do was strap him down on a gurney and transport him to the hospital. A week later we heard he had died and the autopsy determined lead poisoning to be the cause of death. He had been evidencing symptoms for a while, but when he hit the critical level of metabolic lead poisoning (different for every person and based on size, rate, method and frequency of introduction to the body). Not a peaceful way to go.

Brutal. I melt lead.down and poor bullets and make ingots. I started having seizures in 08 and have outrageous blood pressure that spiked one day to 260/190 and would not come down without medication. EMT's said the first event was a panic attack, but I didn't begin to panic until I lost the use of my body and went into a seizure. Happened instantly, from perfectly healthy helping a customer, to the back of the ambulance and now non stop medications to keep it under control. Was in fabulous shape and never had high BP a single day of my life until I collapsed

Back