Cold Steel 2021 New Product Announcement

Cold Steel Knives just posted an announcement on their IG that they are reintroducing the Talwar XL this year. They said there will be additional announcement on the 2021 lineup for more new and re-introduced knives this year, so creating this thread for people to post any news here.

Here's the post from IG:
"You asked and we listened. The first of many reintroductions is the Talwar 5 ½’’ in a plain and serrated edge. Made in Taiwan weighing in at 8.6oz the blade is 3.8mm thick and made of S35VN steel. The handle is made of G-10 and comes in at 7 3/8’’ long.

Keep an eye out over the next few weeks as we continue to introduce (and re-introduce) new items for 2021!"

The XL Talwar definitely looks new on the picture, not a reuse of old pic, because it's using the newer smoother G10 scale that other models like the Recon 1 is now starting to adopt.

137079526_440246514007240_3783472974924824032_n.jpg

137588713_830249134187677_9057186362667559177_n.jpg

L Larry Turko FYI above, i think this is gonna make you happy.

I'm not a big fan of XL knives myself but i'm genuinely happy for all of you who like the XL knives and hope for the return of these classics.

I am definitely in for buying one! I have a xl in xhp and a 4.5 inch in aus8 but I was going to sell that as its just to small! ;)

In this picture it looks like the edge goes all the way to the choil, I have never seen that on a Talwar before.
Also... The old g10 surface is better. Idiot YouTubers and their stupid "unboxing review" videos don't ever use the knives enough to know that the old g10 wears in and eventually has almost the same feel as the new g10 but with better grip. As for ruining pockets, I don't know because I don't use cold steel's ridiculous clips, I assume you could relax them a bit. If I have a Talwar sticking out of my pocket, it's as easy for someone else to grab as it is for me to grab. I don't even like people seeing that I have an xl knife. This definitely hurts the value of my 7 or so Blue & DLC nib Talwars, but I'd rather they be widely available than worry about that.

I definitely saw this being their first move, every other comment on the GSM "what do you want back" video said to bring the Talwars. Next up is the hold out I think.

I regret selling mine awhile back so I'm looking forward to the return.

In this picture it looks like the edge goes all the way to the choil, I have never seen that on a Talwar before.
Also... The old g10 surface is better. Idiot YouTubers and their stupid "unboxing review" videos don't ever use the knives enough to know that the old g10 wears in and eventually has almost the same feel as the new g10 but with better grip. As for ruining pockets, I don't know because I don't use cold steel's ridiculous clips, I assume you could relax them a bit. If I have a Talwar sticking out of my pocket, it's as easy for someone else to grab as it is for me to grab. I don't even like people seeing that I have an xl knife. This definitely hurts the value of my 7 or so Blue & DLC nib Talwars, but I'd rather they be widely available than worry about that.

I definitely saw this being their first move, every other comment on the GSM "what do you want back" video said to bring the Talwars. Next up is the hold out I think.
Interesting observation, yeah the sharpening choil is definitely new. Cold Steel transitioned to doing proper sharpening choil(observed in Recon 1 and American Lawman) when they transitioned to flat grind and S35VN steel. I suspect it's different vendor and i hope they continue this trend.

prefer the 4" version, but smoother g10 is a huge benefit. I dont need the rough texture as I have strong hands and can hold the knife fine using it even in the wet swamps i spend time in.

Dang, that's the best news I've had all day! I missed out on the Talwar, and seeing it 1) back, 2) in a premium steel, 3) with some tweaks that suggest thought was put into it, and 4) in XL, which I was convinced would be the subset of CS folders least likely to survive the acquisition...that's awesome. :eek::thumbsup::D

Hopefully that blade is satin or stonewashed, not bead-blasted (which is what it looks to be). I've never understood bead-blasting blades; why invite corrosion, even with a corrosion-resistant steel?

:) Looks great . Both the Talwar reborn and the company outlook if they keep this up ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is really good news. I'd love to have one of these. The speed with which they've done this (cross fingers) is particularly impressive. And I've had good luck with CS's S35VN. At last some good news.

Even with only this single reintroduction, more positive excitement has been expressed then a whole catalogue of new crap announced Monday by another smug self satisfied company. I want this Talwar. Keep going Cold Steel, meat boots forever!

Even with only this single reintroduction, more positive excitement has been expressed then a whole catalogue of new crap announced Monday by another smug self satisfied company. I want this Talwar. Keep going Cold Steel, meat boots forever!

I watched that whole reveal and have to agree with you. There was a similar knife but it looked very delicate.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these hopefully in a great steel as well. Thanks for the info and update. :thumbsup:

Back